Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
545i w/SMG Transmisson Problems

Looking for some advice with some possible transmission problems on a Bimmer I just recently purchased. Here's the back story. Been wanting to purchase a BMW for a while now. Finally found one I like, took it for a test drive and got the money for it. Test drive was fine. A week later I got the car (from a private seller) and signed the bill of sale. Then I drove off with the car. A quarter mile down the road the transmission started acting up and another quarter mile or so the tranny just gave out. I tried calling the guy for help but he knew he screwed me and said it was fine when he drove it and its my problem now pretty much. Refused to come help me even though I was stranded in the middle of the freeway with cars all around me. Its an SMG transmission and I know these are known for having problems. Its saying that its in gear (Reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) but it just wont catch. It just revs up like its in neutral. I've searched some forums and have an idea of what it is. Was hoping some of you guys could help me decide what my best option is so I could avoid spending even more thousands than I will probably have to spend. I figure its either one of three things. 1) I need a whole new transmission, which will be thousands even for a used one. 2) I need a new SMG pump, which is still thousands and I'm afraid to buy a new transmission and that not fix it cuz its the SMG pump. 3) Or maybe I'm lucky and its a >$20 fix by getting a new salmon relay, which I'm hoping for. Any advice? And different solutions are more than welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_springer View Post
Looking for some advice with some possible transmission problems on a Bimmer

Snip

1) I need a whole new transmission, which will be thousands even for a used one. 2) I need a new SMG pump, which is still thousands and I'm afraid to buy a new transmission and that not fix it cuz its the SMG pump. 3) Or maybe I'm lucky and its a >$20 fix by getting a new salmon relay, which I'm hoping for. Any advice? And different solutions are more than welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Sorry you got taken.

Your condition is dependent on a number of possible problems. The solution ranges from simple (relatively cheap) to complex (around $5K for a reman transmission). Costs depend on if you're able to do your own work.

Read "So you just bought an E60", in the stickys above, particularly the ZF section. You need to be more educated before you do anything.

Then have it inspected by a BMW indy or a ZF-certified transmission shop and get the lay of the land.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Master of my domain

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Then have it inspected by a BMW indy or a ZF-certified transmission shop and get the lay of the land.

This.

There are many excellent indy mechanics who specialize in BMWs or German cars in general. This is a good opportunity for you to find one near you.

This situation sucks. Sorry you're having trouble so soon. Hope you find a quick (and cheap) resolution.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:27 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
first of all dont worry too much about it, i know how much stress that bring onto a person

its a BMW with an SMG tranny, so u will have problems, once they are fixed u will love the car!

take it to a mechanic and sometimes a second opinion is good

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
'08 535i - Sport - Sport Trans - Navi - Comfort Seats - daily beater -
'07 GSXR-750 - Gray/Black - Akrapovic Ti Shorty Exhaust -
Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 08 528i
(for that seller) you reap what you sow

Sorry about that low life, hopefully you end up with a minor issue and got the car for a low price. my brother recently purchased a 325 that started smoking. Fortunately he ran into an honest mechanic and it was a minor gasket problem But it took going thru a handful of "you need a new engine" to find that good mechanic that informed and fixed it as a minor issue. You can find used transmissions on car-part.com if you need one. Let me know if you come up with any good ways to guarantee parts shipped.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Thanks for the info guys. I just tried a new salmon relay.... That didn't work. My next step will probably be either a new battery or a new smg pump. Honestly the last thing I wanna do is spend a few grand on just a used transmission. Most posts I've seen on the internet about these problems is that its usually the smg pump rather than the transmission. And that's a reasonable price to fix that.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Pull some codes ,, it will help and steer you in the right direction
Old 11-27-2014, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 5501
Hey man don't feel bad, I purchased a bimmer with problems to, I've spend over three thousand dollars on oil leaks and I know how it feels. I hope you can find someone who can help you out and get your car running.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
"Then have it inspected by a BMW indy or a ZF-certified transmission shop and get the lay of the land. "

The SMG transmission is a Getrag built box isn't it? Does ZF make the control system?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by aber57 View Post
"Then have it inspected by a BMW indy or a ZF-certified transmission shop and get the lay of the land. "

The SMG transmission is a Getrag built box isn't it? Does ZF make the control system?
You're right, according to this:

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...ons/page_1129/

According to the BMW Workshop manual, both have manufactured and installed manual transmissions in BMW's, but both SMG's are listed as Getrag units.

The above is for the E46, but I couldn't find a similar page for the E60, so I assume it's consistent.

Thanks for the correction.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 11-27-2014 at 01:13 PM.