Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw X5 4.6
Tire control inactive?

Have done a little research in to this message which comes up on the dashboard when switching on or switching off the engine with a 'bleep' noise. Seems there are sensors/antennas to replace as the batteries wear out? I have tried resetting the system by holding in the RDC button and it says tyres 'set tyre pressure'. I thought after driving it a few miles it would set itself and job done but the message comes back when I take the key out. I know the wheels have recently been refurbed recently so guessing this may be the cause? I've got some dealer prices for the antenna (31.50), valve connection (14.18) but apparently there is also a sensor in the wheel arch too? Any expereinces or advice on where to start first would be greatly appreciated..
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
The e53 uses two different tire pressure monitor systems depending on build date (RDC & RPA). You give no model year/build date info...but we can assume since you do have 4.6 listed...that your X was built BEFORE 4/2004...which means you have the RDC system.

Before purchasing new sensors etc...check your tire pressure to see if one of your refurbed wheels is leaking. And since your X comes with the wheel sensors...remember to check your spare in the "boot" (if you have a spare tire/tyre)...it too will have a sensor...which may be causing the issue if you had work done to the 4 wheels that are mounted and being used.

What does your owners manual say about the Tire Pressure Warning that appears in your check control display? My X has the latter RPA "flat tire warning" that uses the ABS sensors instead of the wheel mounted sensors like your X. When my warning goes off...I'm supposed to check my tires to see if they all are inflated to the same pressure or to see if I have a flat tire/tyre. If I were you, my first inclination for a warning that says "set tire/tyre pressure"...would be to check the tire pressure/inflation of all 4 wheels to see if one or more has a lower or higher inflation pressure than the others...or at least filled to the numbers listed on the tire inflation chart adhered to your driver's door/door jamb.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 12-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw X5 4.6
Thanks for the info .. Sorry my fault the warning is 'tire control inactive' when starting the car or switching engine off. Yes you're right in assuming I have the earlier RDC monitoring system with the wheel mounted sensors. The message for 'set tyre pressure' is just the default message that comes up when I attempt to reset RDC. It is then supposed to 'learn' these values as normal after a few miles of driving but mine fails to do this and continues to show 'tire control inactive'. I have checked the tyre pressures and they are all good so I'm assuming that when the wheels were refurbed and new tyres put on the person did not bother replacing the sensors? I will order 4x sensors and valve fittings and see what I find when I have the tyres removed to fit them. From reading the manual I think that because I have a space saver spare wheel there will be no sensor fitted as it's only for temporary use?..