Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325 CI
Angry insane 10 key limit

Do to the multiple failures of the ignition lock cylinder, a surprisingly terrible piece of BMW engineering, I have reached the, not often seen, but dreaded Ten Key limit on my security system of my 1995 325Ci. BMW has been of no use at all. They insist that I purchased an entire security system, lock, and cylinder for over $700 when there's nothing wrong with my car other than the fact that it just needs a lock cylinder and key. The fact that there's a TenKey limit is their fault not mine.

I removed the chip from my key and attached it to the ignition antenna. I then removed the harness and can manually start the car using a screwdriver. Obviously this is not the optimum situation. I'm looking for anyone who could provide me with a cylinder from a 325 CI with electronic security. The car was manufactured in June 1995. I can use any cylinder and key appropriate for that model and manufacture date. it has to be a cylinder from an E36 with security system. i can use any cylinder from for that make and model. If you have a trashed BMW and could remove the lock cylinder I will purchase it with keys, or you could order another cylinder and 2 keys for your car with your Vin number and I would pay for the parts and an additional $50 fee for your time. If there's anyone out there that can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by popscycle; 09-25-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved your thread over to the E36 3 series forum for you. You'll be able to get help here from our other E36 owners.

Tim
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
Do to the multiple failures of the ignition lock cylinder, a surprisingly terrible piece of BMW engineering, I have reached the, not often seen, but dreaded Ten Key limit on my security system of my 1995 325Ci. BMW has been of no use at all. They insist that I purchased an entire security system, lock, and cylinder for over $700 when there's nothing wrong with my car other than the fact that it just needs a lock cylinder and key. The fact that there's a TenKey limit is their fault not mine.

I removed the chip from my key and attached it to the ignition antenna. I then removed the harness and can manually start the car using a screwdriver. Obviously this is not the optimum situation. I'm looking for anyone who could provide me with a cylinder from a 325 CI with electronic security. The car was manufactured in June 1995. I can use any cylinder and key appropriate for that model and manufacture date. it has to be a cylinder from an E36 with security system. i can use any cylinder from for that make and model. If you have a trashed BMW and could remove the lock cylinder I will purchase it with keys, or you could order another cylinder and 2 keys for your car with your Vin number and I would pay for the parts and an additional $50 fee for your time. If there's anyone out there that can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
multiple failures? What fails? It spins in the socket? That is common problem, what I did, is drill a small hole then install sheet metal screw just to secure the cylinder in the socket and so far no problems ever. But looks like you are some difficult person
Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Might be helpful with a link..
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231360

Have you considered a Push Button Start?

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Push Button

Definitely an option but I'm concerned about the Steering wheel accidentally locking up since without a cylinder there's's really nothing to stop that from happening. It had to be rotated to the Start position with a screw driver. I've been reading about how the spring for the pin can be drilled out.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Problem is much worse than a the spinning key syndrome

I wish it were that simple. I know about the spinning key syndrome and that fix, but it's not the problem. It's the bottom of the tumbler where a metal pin that engages the ignition is sheared off and it's not the first time. My mechanics with a combines 50 years of experience an BMW all same I'm stuck on the cylinder because of the 10 Key limit.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
If the ignition tumbler is removed.. the steering wheel wont "lock" iirc

Have you tried repairing the spinning cylinder?

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes I know about the spinning cylinder issue. What I've been told by my mechanics and by BMW is that there is a pin at the bottom of the cylinder that engages the ignition. That pin has sheared off so the ignition cannot cannot be turned on. At the moment I'm to use a screwdriver to turn the ignition switch to the on position. The steering column has been unlocked manually with a screwdriver. The concern of my mechanics is that it's possible for the steering lock to engage accidentally leaving me driving down the highway with a locked steering wheel. I don't know if that's a realistic scenario or not. It's certainly not a desirable one. I'm investigating drilling out the spring that engages the steering lock pin so that it cannot lock. If I had not reached this TenKey limit on the EWS, I would simply have replaced the cylinder. It's become a nightmare.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
So did your tumbler fail? Or the metal shaft thing that the tumbler turns to start your car?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
... If I had not reached this TenKey limit on the EWS, I would simply have replaced the cylinder.....
I have perhaps a silly question. If you can get keys cut to match the replacement cylinder, what about pulling the transponders from your old keys and mounting them to your new ones? A friend did that to make an especially compact key he could stick in his wallet.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: dont
Quote:

I know this post is old, but I would be able to program a transponder to your vehicle. Doesn't matter the limit. It would be a factory chip.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i convertible
I had to go through this on my 95 (manufacturing date 3/95). Found a local company who came out, cut new keys to match car, reset security back to original spec and synced with keys. Now I have 2 new keys and can get 8 more. Great option! Very pleased with service.