Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
2007 328xi Motor Mounts

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to determine if my motor mounts need to be replaced, will I be able to rock my engine or should I see fluid leaking out of the mounts?

At idle I get a heavy vibration, and sometimes when I step on the gas at low speeds I feel the engine rumble - kind of like it's misfiring but different.
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Tasman Green
How many miles are on the car? Mine were replaced at 73K and feels like a new car now. I would say yours are due for replacement from the description.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Sounds like bad mounts if idle is steady but the car is vibrating.

If your mounts are really bad, you can hold the brake and apply light throttle for a couple seconds to see if the engine moves. It should not move more than a few mm. (Don't get crazy with the throttle when brake standing!)

Passenger side mount is a common failure on E9x chassis.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-22-2016, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
not sure fluid will come out of an engine mount as it is just a metal bracket to the best of my knowledge. as another poster mentioned, check the tachometer. If that is bouncing in conjuction with the rumbling then it could be something else. Most likely a bi-product of a leaky valve cover gasket, eccentric valve sensor, etc. I was just having the problem with idling in drive and a bouncy tach. I'm in the middle of replacing the VCG, eccentric shaft sensor gasket and valvetronic motor gasket. After all that and new spark plugs I'm hoping it will be all better. If tach is moving it could also be an air leak somewhere, O2 sensor, or the like. Best of luck.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Last edited by PJP84; 02-22-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: awkward sentence
Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 AM

The car has 150K on her, I bought her with 95K and not sure if the prior owner had them done in the past. I have had an intermittent vacuum leak that creates a high pitched whistle and the car shudders at idle but that disappears after I shut the engine off for 10 minutes and restart it and I don't think it is related. I'll pay attention to the tach when it happens and I will try putting my foot on the brake and giving it a little rev to see if the engine is jumping. If someone out there has done this job on an 328xi model please confirm the instructions here are spot on http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbob1 View Post
The car has 150K on her, I bought her with 95K and not sure if the prior owner had them done in the past. I have had an intermittent vacuum leak that creates a high pitched whistle and the car shudders at idle but that disappears after I shut the engine off for 10 minutes and restart it and I don't think it is related. I'll pay attention to the tach when it happens and I will try putting my foot on the brake and giving it a little rev to see if the engine is jumping. If someone out there has done this job on an 328xi model please confirm the instructions here are spot on http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
The high pitched whistle maybe the diaphragm in your valve cover that is collapsed.

Official fix is a new valve cover at $400+

A company does sell the diaphragm separately but it requires cutting your valve cover open and then re-gluing it back together.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 AM

Yikes, that is expensive!
Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 07 e91
valve cover with integral PCV valve = bad design in my opinion....I have had to replace my valve cover due to this..and the fact it was leaking because it had a crack in it....(common, passenger side rear area..which as stated above could account for your oily motor mount...) oil in the motor mount, incidentally, could cause a failure of the rubber parts inside the mount too.....

check for oil seepage just above the the exhaust manifold and shine a flashlight through the intake manifold and look for leaky bits...

JP
Old 02-28-2016, 09:18 AM

I changed out the motor mounts on my 328xi, I followed the Pelican Parts instructions for the most and the only deviation is my model does not have a cross reinforcement brace referenced in figure 5 and I had to remove a heat shield on the left side to be able to remove the mount. The project took me about 4 hours. So far so good on the bouncy engine. I do have a leaky valve cover and will need to tackle that project next.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
The high pitched whistle maybe the diaphragm in your valve cover that is collapsed.

Official fix is a new valve cover at $400+

A company does sell the diaphragm separately but it requires cutting your valve cover open and then re-gluing it back together.
Is there a way to determine if in fact the diaphragm in my valve cover is collapsed? I need to replace the valve cover gasket and if I need a new valve cover than this will be the obvious time to replace it.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbob1 View Post
Is there a way to determine if in fact the diaphragm in my valve cover is collapsed? I need to replace the valve cover gasket and if I need a new valve cover than this will be the obvious time to replace it.
http://vanos-bmw.com/membrane-for-co...mw-11127552281

Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 PM

Has anyone done the diaphragm replacement?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Hey glad you got the motor mounts replaced, nice job. If by the diaphragm you mean that little nozzle coming off of that cap that connects to a vacuum line I think only a good epoxy job would do it. Otherwise new valve cover

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search