Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325ci Convt.
Exclamation Cold Weather Start Issues

I have a 2002 BMW 325ci Convertible with around 110k miles on it and I realized that the car would sometimes not start up on a cold day roughly around (35 degrees or less) apparently I'm not the only one with this issue and I read that there isn't a true fix to it is that true? Some say they warmed up their ECU before they started their car and said it worked fine, other say it didn't work for them and then people/dealers would say that it's a filter problem, fuel tank, etc. But then when those get replaced and lots of money are gone, it still wouldn't start. I'm afraid to buy a part that isn't necessary especially since I'm on a low budget and must be careful on what I purchase. But I'm in desperate need to fix the problem especially since I always go in to school in the cold AM (Sometimes it would start if I keep trying to start it after a couple of times, but sometimes it won't start at all until it gets warmer). I was wondering if there was anybody who has the same problem but got it permanently fixed. Thanks for the heads up and I look forward to the your answers. So sad on such a beautiful car....
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
How old is your battery?

An anecdote that may not apply: I once had a motorcycle that I parked out doors where I had a cold start problem. Turned over great but wouldn't catch if the temp was below 40F or so. Solution ended up being the battery; it seems it was good enough to spin the motor but in doing so the voltage dropped below whatever threshhold was necessary to drive the ignition circuit.

The way I figured it out was by pulling the battery and keeping it indoors overnight. Warm, the battery was good enough to start the bike. While doing this with a car battery might be a bit more than you want to try, perhaps if you had a trickle charger you could use that and it might keep the battery a little warmer from the charging.

Just a random thought, maybe it'll help.

Last edited by gpburdell; 12-04-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 AM

I don't know how the old battery is actually....Thanks for the quick head ups I'll see if the battery will be the solution to my problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Xi with SportPack
Is your service engine light on? It would really help to get some error codes that might lead in the right direction.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM

No lights are on the dash.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGalliano View Post
I'll see if the battery will be the solution to my problem.
This should help with testing the battery:
- DIY how to test a BMW battery & alternator
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Definitely sounds like a new battery is in order, get an oem bmw not autozone duralast