Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
How much harder is removing a automatic gear box compared to manual

I took my manual gear box out of my car to do a clutch job. I saw a 540iA with a bad transmission and it comes with a used transmisson. How hard is removing an automatic gear box compared to a manual ?
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Ads by Google
Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
It's not much more difficult. It's easier in some ways. The transmission doesn't have to move back as far before it can be dropped because you don't have to work around the clutch. The torque converter has to be disconnected from the flywheel though. It's a pretty straight forward process though. You just have to remove the access plug and rotate the crankshaft around with a long-handled ratchet and socket to find each of the bolt attaching the flywheel to the torque converter.

The biggie is that the auto trans is much heavier than a manual. You're going to want a transmission jack to do the swap.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Ball Don't lie

Second question

When I replace the automatic with a manual I need the driveshaft but not the diff right?

I have NCS expert to code the ECU for manual
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
According to realoem, the driveshaft for an auto trans car is 1521mm.
A manual trans car has a driveshaft of length 1609mm, a difference of about 3 inches.
I made some assumptions that this is a US spec car built in Jan 2001. I don't know if a different production date would have different specs, but I don't see why they would.

The auto trans car has 3 different differentials listed, one of which is the same as the only differential listed for the manual trans car. This is a 2.81 rear end ratio. The other two diffs are both 3.15 ratios. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two of them. Regardless, I'd say you're fine keeping the original differential and swapping the driveshaft.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Ball Don't lie

Thanks man!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavet5308 View Post
It's not much more difficult. It's easier in some ways. The transmission doesn't have to move back as far before it can be dropped because you don't have to work around the clutch. The torque converter has to be disconnected from the flywheel though. It's a pretty straight forward process though. You just have to remove the access plug and rotate the crankshaft around with a long-handled ratchet and socket to find each of the bolt attaching the flywheel to the torque converter.

The biggie is that the auto trans is much heavier than a manual. You're going to want a transmission jack to do the swap.
hh3, I think you are less than 20 miles from me, I have a tranny jack.
I'd also like to see your NCS.
PM me if you want to borrow my tranny jack.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere