Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750LI
2009 BMW 750LI F02 Media BUS System & Modules Transmission CIC etc.

Hello All! This is my first BMW post from a life-long Caddy Man so please refrain from going on the offense!

So I just bought a 2009 BMW 750LI from an Insurance Auction (I know, BIG mistake!). Once I got it towed home, I found out that the car has been stripped of almost all modules! The left trunk area has no modules, the DVD Changer is gone and the rear suspension is basically to the floor. From my hours of online research, I found out that all modules need to be connected (or run a BUS Loop) in order for the main center console module to function.
But before I spend an arm and a leg for everything, I want to make sure the car drives but I get the Transmission Malfunction error and I cannot put the car into gear.

My first of many questions to come is, how do I get the Electronic Transmission to work? Do I need to connect the Media BUS cables via a LOOP to get the transmission to work or is there a separate module that I should be looking for. I believe since the gears appear on the center console screen, I might need to get the screen to come on for the Transmission to work (but this is my guess). I read that there is also a transmission module above the transmission box but have not been able to get to it so if this is what I should check, can anyone direct me on whether I should get to it from inside or outside of the car?

Next Question! I believe there is a Rear Suspension Module. Is that one of the ones missing from the rear left trunk area? I believe this controls the sports/comfort mode but will the car drive without this module?

Final question, I found a diagram of the different modules in the Media BUS system but can't really tell where everything is located. Can someone assist with finding the location of these parts or correct me if I have it wrong?

CIC - Center console (2-Part with DVD player and Hard Drive Portion)
DVD Changer - Above passengers glove department
KOMBI Instrument Cluster - NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS OR WHERE THIS IS???
ZGM Central Gateway Module - NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS OR WHERE THIS IS???
TCU Telematics Control Unit - (Bluetooth, etc) Rear Left Trunk Area, Above wheel well
Top-HiFi Amplifier - (Media System Amp) Rear Left Trunk Area, Right of ULF-SBX Interface Box
ULF-SBX Interface Box - (Wireless Phone Module) Rear Left Trunk Area, Left of Top-HiFi Amplifier
RSE Rear Seat Entertainment - Rear Left Trunk Area? Also, my car doesnt have this feature so do I still need to run a loop?
SDARS Satellite Tuner - Rear Left Trunk Area?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Last edited by avetisyanedgar; 07-04-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Image added
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
I did a quick google search and came across this:

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/F01-02/03.1_...%20Systems.pdf

Should help you out a little. Check out page 37.

Edit: Browse through the left menu to find information about each module. I found the location of the TCU for you:

Edit 2: The location of the TOP HIFI Top-HiFi Amplifier:

Edit 3: SDARS satellite tuner is located in the luggage compartment on the left-hand side:

Last edited by J750; 07-04-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the response J750. Thats what i also found and about 50 other workbooks on kneb.net (very useful). Unfortunately, the diagram on page 37 doesnt accurately show where the modules are but just the sequence of each module in the BUS System. For example, the DVD Changer isnt located in the trunk area but rather, the front glove department box.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks Much J750! Got me looking in the right places now... Pages 30-32 of the below link show the different trunk modules (Left, Mid and Right) so Im going to dig deeper for the others.
Also, any idea whats needed to get the transmission working and am I correct in assuming that its an electronic transmission requiring the CIC (or one of the modules) in order for it to work?

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/F01-02/01_F0...troduction.pdf