Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 X5 325I
Increased Battery Discharge message

hi, getting, Increased Battery Discharge message on 2010 328I convertible, vehicle has 11, 500 miles, does battery need to be replaced? , when the car s turned off i don't see anything that could be draining the battery... thanks

2011 X5 Premium
2010 328i Hard top convertible
2007 Z4
2007 X5
2003 325
2003 X5
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicsX5 View Post
hi, getting, Increased Battery Discharge message on 2010 328I convertible, vehicle has 11, 500 miles, does battery need to be replaced? , when the car s turned off i don't see anything that could be draining the battery... thanks
Is the car going into the sleep mode? Check led lights by the shift leaver-stop/start button they should go out in about 15 minutes .Did you install any aftermarket electronics that aren't compatible with BMW?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 12-04-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650653
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659890
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584978

One of the biggest benefits of a forum is that frequently a question has already been answered several times, and you can get your answer with just a few clicks rather than having to wait for people to see your question and post answers again.

Most likely answer: Buy a battery tender to extend the life of your new battery when you buy it. You might be able to limp along for a while with your existing battery if you keep it topped up with the tender, but you do increasingly risk getting stuck somewhere.

Two to three years is a little on the shorter end of a typically car battery lifetime but not unheard of; especially if your 2010 is a 2009 build making it older than say an August 2010 build. Your relatively low annual mileage suggests it either sits undriven for days at a time or if driven more often the trips are very short; both of these are hard on a battery.