Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 00 S4, 93 525i
New miss after engine cleaning

Like the title says. I pressure washed my engine and now have a fantastic miss. I blew all electrical connections out with an air hose thinking that would fix it but nope. Anybody have any suggestions? Sounds like a new lil tick in the bottom end started too.
Ads by Google
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
This is a damn simple problem to fix. You must have washed your engine bay with the plastic bmw cover off. Water would have gotten into one or more of the spark plug wells and is causing the miss. Just blow out the water with a hose and you are done.

Even if you did not remove the cover, the water seal under the cover must have a break somewhere to allow water in. Most home hardware stores sell a kind of a rubber door seal in strips which you can cut and paste over this. I have done that on my cover and it works perfectly.

I have hosed down my engine bay, every part of it, many times, with no problems to electricals. Water can drench the afm, alternator, belts anything, no issues. Just make sure the ecu box and the fuse box is properly covered and any exposed wiring has been taped.

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 12-03-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 00 S4, 93 525i
HA ha ha! Thats exactly what happened! I just spent an hour screwing around and found my misfire on cyl 4. by unplugging each plug from each coil pack to figure out which was misfiring. wish I read this before my mood got sour. But its always fun to figure out something by common sense! Thanks man!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by S406 View Post
HA ha ha! Thats exactly what happened! I just spent an hour screwing around and found my misfire on cyl 4. by unplugging each plug from each coil pack to figure out which was misfiring. wish I read this before my mood got sour. But its always fun to figure out something by common sense! Thanks man!
lolol.

I remember the first time that this happened, very vividly. Had a good time degreasing and cleaning out the engine bay, detailing everything. Then drove off and within 5 minutes the engine started heaving and shuddering. Balls shrunk right there (this was my pre mafia days). Pulled over, started looking, calmed myself down somehow and eventually found the problem. Did not have good tools then so had to use my hanky and cleanex to absorb as much water as possible by stuffing it under the coils somehow. It was a fun afternoon, thanks for reminding me !

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 12-03-2012 at 08:36 PM.