Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Brake pads have frozen to my rotors

I have a 2008 335i with 25K miles, which is my daily driver. I live on the beach and keep the car parked outside. I naturally expect to need to wash the car more often (which I do), but did not expect what has been happening to my brakes.

Last year we went on a 5 day trip. When we came back my wife took the car out. As soon as she started backing up, THUNK.... a horrible noise from the wheels. We took it for a slow drive up the street during which it was obvious there was a problem. The left front brake pad had seized to the rotor and broke a chunk off when the car moved. We had to tow the car to the dealer for repairs. BMW NA refused to cover it under the warranty, but the dealer agreed to cut the rotors on their dime.

I've since been extra vigilant about washing out the rotors every few days. However last week it happened again. And now no one wants to cover it. The car still has 10 months left on the original warranty.

I completely understand that living next to the beach leaves a car more susceptible to some problems. I think the accumulation of salt on the rotors will definitely lead to more wear on the pads and the need to replace those pads more frequently. I accept that. What I do not accept is a pad that is seemingly incapable of being exposed to salt air and can glue itself to the rotor over the course of a few days. My Nissan Titan has no such problems. My neighbor with a 328 (also parked outside on the beach) has no such problems. The problem of the pads cracking off the calipers seems isolated to this vehicle, and to me indicates a defect.

So I ask, what say you? Am I wrong in thinking I could buy a car from a dealership at the beach, and then parking my car next to the beach not 10 miles from where it was purchased? Am I "abusing" the vehicle, and if I am, shouldn't parking a car at the beach be a specific exclusion in the rust warranty? Or are these brakes defective and BMW NA should replace the rotors and put a set of pads on that can take some salt?

What would you do in this situation?
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicity View Post

I've since been extra vigilant about washing out the rotors every few days.
are you driving the car after doing this to dry the pads and rotors?
otherwise, you may be doing more harm than good.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Make sure to dry the rotors off. You're in a humid location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I agree completely, this is probably a defect and should be covered under warranty. I have not read of a single issue such as this in seven years on Bimmerfest and as you point out you even have a neighborhood with a like car in like conditions that does not experience this issue. Given the circumstances I would consider the onus to be on BMW to prove it is not a defect if they are going to refuse to cover it.

Tell the dealer you want them to initiate a PUMA case to BMWNA and you want a BMWNA field engineer to assess the situation with your car.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-03-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicity View Post
The car still has 10 months left on the original warranty.
You are covered on the "full maintenance" part of your purchase agreement which includes brakes if you are still within the 4 year 48 months since purchase.

There is no exclusion for living near the water in the documentation that BMW provided.

If you are in a large FL market try another dealer since your current dealer is acting clueless.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)