Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Fuel level sensor error

So I'm taking a pretty lengthy road trip in my 550i and I get a message that says "drivetrain: Drive Moderately maximum drivetrain output not available" so I check the ECU for error codes and aside from my no cats code I have one that days "Fuel level sensor B High Circuit" which I recall hearing something about this a while back. So sure enough my fuel gauge starts acting funny. So all of that I'm prepared for and ok with however the warning saying full engine output won't be available got me thinking and when I checked the boost I see it's only showing 3psi? I don't recall what stock is but it's obviously more than 3. Has anyone had this issue and noticed a drop in power?
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
I have not experienced this issue. Sorry to hear you're having problems after not having your car for so long...

Now that you have it back, does that mean your tune is done?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
I have not experienced this issue. Sorry to hear you're having problems after not having your car for so long...

Now that you have it back, does that mean your tune is done?
I wish that is what it meant, it actually means that the tuner wasn't able to do the car because they needed a tool like the BT to communicate with the ECU and apparently no company has that cable out for this model so it just sat there for nearly three months. Still I've got it back now and damn I forgot how much I enjoyed driving the thing. This fuel sender deal is no biggie but I found it curious the boost was showing so low and don't know if it's because of that issue or the OT-2 is off as I hadn't looked at boost prior to that error coming up.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
This is a known issue. My car had this fix done before I bought it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 AM

That sucks on both fronts. I've been emailing BT since 3 months before I picked up my car about supporting this ECU. They said it is coming, but it could take some time. If more folks emailed them I'm sure it would help prioritize the work...

Did said tuner have any suggestions for a band-aid fix for the O2 sensor with your DPs? Before they did CANbus integration they had a hardware solution for the N54. Would be cool if they could do something for you, even if they can't offer a full tune yet.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Who is BT?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

Very inexpensive tool which allows you to access the BMW specific values in the ECU. Think of it as an OBDII reader on steroids. Also allows you to do some coding/activations (reset service intervals, reset air bag lights, etc) Extremely useful for data logging a tuned engine.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Yeah they said theyd be looking into getting rid of the CO2 codes but I'm not holding my breath. On a related note I'm not sure if you've got the downpipes yet but I'm very happy with them. There's a bit of a drone between 1800-2000rpms but other than that it's pretty quiet even with the eisenmann race and it does feel a little freer. I hate to speak without having facts but I'm fairly confident this is a mod you can feel the effects of. When I get to Atlanta I'm flying to Dubai but when I get back I'll take it to the same dyno I did the stock runs. I'm not really worried about the check engine light so I'll wait til I find a solution to the tuning. One thing I did notice is this engine runs TOO hot, this morning I was driving from El Paso thru Texas and for about 100 miles I was playing with a new E550(they need to get the TTV8 asap as it was a joke) I ran it all the way to 145 and made several WOT pushes and watched IAT's climb from mid 70's to 140's in no time and oil temp crept above 250. This car could really use bigger intercoolers and meth.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Nope, no bolt ons for me yet, just the software and a couple cosmetic mods. Looking forward to seeing your dyno results though.

Not too surprised at the temp readings given the location of the turbos. Integrated meth and tune will have sick gains on this car IMO.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550i M Sport
i had the same light come on with my car my friends tell me that its cause of my exhaust system ( no cats no resonator no muffler ) but i tracked the car @ 12'90 with everything completely stock then tracked it when i did the exhaust & i ran a 12'70 so i know that i did not lose any power due to the exhaust after about 1500 miles with the exhaust this came on drivetrain: Drive Moderately maximum drivetrain output not available i was over due for an oil change got it changed & everything was fine but i noticed the car lost power & i could barely hear my turbos the light came on 1 more time when i was on the freeway about to reach 120MPH so i slowed down but the car is not the same its a dog i am going to take it in to the dealer but quick question if i take it in with my exhaust being like that would they not warrantee it my car is a lease & a few people told me its fine and some other people told me put my exhaust back on before going to BMW also is there any places that will dyno tune or ECU Reflash my car in the state of Arizona or vegas?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 AM

1. It's called a period, use it.
2. BMW will most certainly blame your exhaust, whether its to blame or not.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kjeronimo91
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745LI
i have no resonators and mufflers as well. YOU HAVE TO plug the vaccum lines (2) that connected to the mufffler or else you'll get the d/train code when you go WOT like i Did.

2008 335xi e92- 6mt alpine whte/Coral Rd JB3 18ohm sold

2005 745LI Alpine Whte / 5% all around tint / PDC /Sunshades/tinted tails/Built in Radar / 2- 12" w/ 2000w pioneer /Mtec angels sold