Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 6 Convertable 2011
BMW 6 conv. warning lights

I bought a new BMW 6 Convertible 2011 in THAILAND on the grey market (NOT from Official BMW dealer).

From the first day when I started the car 4 warning lights were burning.
---Restraint system
---Pedestrian protection system
---Steering drive moderately
---Parking brake only partially available

The power steering works half and several other things don't work also. (Like cameras, soft top roof etc.)

After a few minutes, now much longer until 4 hours, the lights disappear and the car drives perfect.

I don't have it every day but it seems that with rainy days the problem is worse.

Now about 9 month later, and several checks at a high class garage (BMW dealers don't service cars bought from grey market), the problem still exist.

Anybody have an idea, it makes me crazy?

Thanks, hope you can help me.

By the way, is there an official BMW forum (from the factory) where I can ask my question?

Fred Majoor
Phuket
Thailand
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Holy cow, in Thailand the dealer will not service a car sold from a non-BMW-dealer?? Crazy! I love how they call it "grey-market", as if it's only semi-legal to privately sell a BMW to another individual. I can't imagine how BMW would not honor a warranty on such a new car. Are there no laws protecting you there when it comes to warranties?

1) For the seatbelt error I would check your connections under the seat. Water may have caused corrosion in the connections or maybe someone removed the seat and did not properly re-connect the plugs. Here are instructions on removing the seat that shows the plug. Move the seat all the back to see the connection. You may also have an issue with the switch in the seat belt buckle receiver - where you plug in the "male" end of the belt when buckling up.

2) No idea what the pedestrian protection system is. I guess you have backup cameras from the factory? We don't get these in North America.

3) I would guess the steering error is related to low power steering fluid. Have that checked (or do it yourself). The reservoir is on the right hand side of the engine bay when standing in front of the car with the hood open. If the fluid level is OK then it could be the steering angle sensor (located in the steering column), the power steering pump, belts, a sensor or a problem with the steering rack.

4) Is that an error you are getting on the dash about the parking brake? Or are you having problems applying the brake so it holds the car when on an incline? If the brake is not engaging properly the cable can be adjusted (at the lever inside the car). The parking brake also uses a separate set of brake shoes located inside the rear disc brake rotors. Those might be worn if the parking brake cable cannot be adjusted to hold the car.

Most of your problems seem electrical-related due to the high temps and humidity in Thailand. Hard to believe you could have so many problems on a 2011 though. Maybe the car was flooded?
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 12-03-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:25 AM

Thank you Yorgi!

Thanks Yorgi for your fast and professional advice.

One thing I don't understand is that after a few (5 to 15 minutes) driving suddenly all the lights are going out in 1 time. Looks like 1 big problem in stead of 4 smaller problems.

After a few minutes when the lights are out, all the systems work properly.

That's what surprises me.

By the way, the normal price for my "6" in the showroom is 400.000 US$.
Grey market price (new car from UK), less than 300.000 US$.

There because!

Regards,

Fred
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM

That sounds promising. I am now almost certain you have a power issue.

It is most likely a bad battery. When multiple errors occur at once it's a very good indicator of a weak battery or an alternator issue. The alternator is probably OK, it seems like it charges the weak battery after you've driven the car for a while clearing the power related issues. When you let the car rest the weak battery drains and problems return.

I would have the battery tested for starters. If it's OK then have the alternator checked.

If both are OK I would still change the battery to be safe - it's cheap insurance.

If a new battery does not help have the IVM checked. This is a module that controls power distribution to the car and will cause errors like you are having but it is the more expensive and rare to fail part compared to the battery and alternator.

Last edited by Yorgi; 12-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM

Great help

Thank's Gorky,

I have sent your comments already to the Grey Market Dealer in Bangkok. THE GALLERY BY UNITY. See website.

Miss my car, now already 3 weeks in the garage.

They ordered some parts from Germany but in my opinion your advice is the best.

I remember they gave me a new battery when I bought the car. The car was unsold for about 1 year. With changing the battery maybe they made a mistake or they did not change the battery at all. (SURE!!!!!)

Hope helps!
When you come to Thailand I buy you a "Heineken", haha.

Fred (from Holland).
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Yorgi

SORRY, very early here, YORGI

Fred
Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Yorgi is on point with his diagnosis. It seesm you do have a power issue. Sine you say they may have replaced the battery, then that could be true but they may not have "Registered"the battery properly to the car. Based on what you mentioned regarding the lights going off after a few minutes after driving, I sense that the alternator brought the charge to a level to erase the lights. Do as Yorgi mention by checking the alternator and the battery then check to make sure they did a proper battery registration. . Still cannot get over the cost of these cars in your country. That is crazy.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Thank you Pablo

Greetings from sunny Phuket, Thailand.
34C here.

Thanks for your comments, will inform the dealer. Never heard from battery registration.

Let you know the results!

Beautiful car!

BMW 650 cost a fortune here. 340% tax.
640i is the maximum I can afford. Have also a new BMW5 for my wife.

For the rest is Thailand very cheap compared to US or Europe.
Wonderful life, friendly people, great food, international healthcare.

Regards,

Fred Majoor
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I would start with the battery, & then start looking at the alternator. When installing the new battery, run a 12 hour charge cycle to make sure the battery is fully charged. Then run the registration with a battery charger connected. This will keep the battery fully charged while running any diagnostics.

Being in Thailand, it might be in your best interest to learn how to work on the car. The BMW software is very easy to find, but sometimes hard to install on a PC. If you are handy with the tools, the software will save you tons of money. Checkout the link below for more!

Good Luck!

http://www.bmwcoding.com/
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Still not ready

Dear all,

Thanks again for your advice, I sent it directly to my dealer in Bangkok. I live in Phuket, about 900 km from Bangkok.

The communication with the dealer (grey market) is not great.
What I understand, (translation from my Thai wife!) is that they put a new battery in the car, also registered the new battery. (What they did not do the first time, I presume).
Still the same problem. Now they ordered already 14 days ago an IVM from Germany.

Hope helps. I miss my car!

Regards,

Fred Majoor
Phuket
Thailand
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Ecu

Dear all,

After 6 weeks in the garage in Bangkok I have my BMW 6 Conv. back.

The problem was a shortcut in my ECU. Christmas and New Year holidays did not help also.

Thanks for your help anyway, car drives perfect!

Fred Majoor
Phuket
Thailand
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM

Good to hear they figured it out, ECU problems are rare and difficult to diagnose. Hopefully you can enjoy the car now.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Thanks Yorgi, I will. It is the only one on the island so everybody looks and enjoys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4244.jpg
Views:	1880
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	362005  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
340% tax? Wow. Almost same for my home country Vietnam, I got a Toyota Camry, bought it brand new at almost same price with brand new 6 series here. People even have to pay an add on tax called luxury car tax for car has MSRP price over $80,000. Like an extra $20,000 tax on top of the 300%

BMW CCA ID: 473647

Last edited by reytran; 02-13-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
340% tax? Wow. Almost same for my home country Vietnam, I got a Toyota Camry, bought it brand new at almost same price with brand new 6 series here. People even have to pay an add on tax called luxury car tax for car has MSRP price over $80,000. Like an extra $20,000 tax on top of the 300%
Not unusual. Most people don't know how lucky we are here in the US.

I have a friend in Singapore that spent about $80k US for an 2007 528i with no nav!

A new 5 series will run you about $150K there. He saw my car and found out what I paid and he was sick.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post

I have a friend in Singapore that spent about $80k US for an 2007 528i with no nav!

A new 5 series will run you about $150K there. He saw my car and found out what I paid and he was sick.
Yeah, i think Singapore have a highest tax on car in Asia. However, the scarier thing is they still have all the supercar that we have in America. So crazy. I remember when I was living in Singapore fews years ago, Chrysler C300 was a limo cab.

BMW CCA ID: 473647

Last edited by reytran; 02-13-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 PM

Convertible roof BMW 6, 2011

Convertible roof BMW 6 don't work. Dashboard says "problem power window" One of the small windows does not close proper.

Somebody have a great tip? Grey market dealer test and test, but no results yet.

Regards,

Fred Majoor
Phuket
Thailand
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Majoor View Post
Convertible roof BMW 6 don't work. Dashboard says "problem power window" One of the small windows does not close proper.

Somebody have a great tip? Grey market dealer test and test, but no results yet.

Regards,

Fred Majoor
Phuket
Thailand
There is a window reset procedure. Try this.

"With the window up all the way, hold the button down while lowering the window and continue holding it down for 5 seconds after the window hits bottom. Immediately raise the window by holding the button up all the way for 5 seconds after the window hits the top... "

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
There is a window reset procedure. Try this.

"With the window up all the way, hold the button down while lowering the window and continue holding it down for 5 seconds after the window hits bottom. Immediately raise the window by holding the button up all the way for 5 seconds after the window hits the top... "
Wow nice tip how did you ever find that one?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 PM

window/roof BMW 6, 2011

Told my garage in Bangkok and hope they will try and reset properly.
Thanks for speedy reply. Let you know the results.

Anybody knows about a recall because overheating? Water pump change?

Fred
Phuket
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
I know where you're coming from. The wealthy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia(my dad's homeland) would buy their Lexus LX 570 brand new with cash. The tax rate in Cambodia is probably around 120% or higher. A new LX 570 here in the U.S. would be around $90,000. Rich Cambodians pay $200,000 or more for that particular vehicle in cash

Bottom line, we are very lucky to probably have the lowest MSRP for cars in the U.S.

I'd take a brand new 6-Series in the States over whatever they're paying for brand new lower-end models in (insert country name here).
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:

Singapore is one of the most expensive countries to live in. I toured there last summer and it is a nice country. However, the laws are very strict.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Majoor View Post
Told my garage in Bangkok and hope they will try and reset properly.
Thanks for speedy reply. Let you know the results.

Anybody knows about a recall because overheating? Water pump change?

Fred
Phuket
Are you already overheating? If so, your car is probably a lemon.

From what I know, I do not know anything about a recall on the F12/F13.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 PM

window/roof BMW 6 Conv

Bangkok tried to reset. No result. They are busy now for 1 week and can't find the problem.
They asked factory now for help.

Their diagnose computer says "no problem at all"!

Wait and see. Until now not lucky.
Have also a BMW 5 2011, no problems at all!!!!

Regards,

Fred Majoor
Phuket