Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
New 2 BMW

Just traded my 08 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey for an 08 X5 3.0 Black/Black...12,000 miles

Cold weather
Premium
Tech
Running boards
iPod
Satellite

While the EX35 was nice, nothing feels like a BMW Also picked up a 4/60,000mi warranty for a little peace of mind. Trim, not included of course.
Just 2 trim/fit issues I've noticed. The front air dam has popped out, and the lenses in the back are not set properly..one is cracked in the center. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0262.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	351974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	351975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0282.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	351976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0283.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	351977  
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
I believe the reflector replacement is straightforward and only about $10-15 each:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showphoto.do?id=63217158949

Probably held-in with double-stick foam tape and can be replace like other stick-on trim, e.g., carefully remove by carefully running dental floss back and forth behind the reflector to cut/detach the reflector, clean off residue and put the replacement reflector into place (they typically come with the tape already on the reflector). Tedious and time-consuming, but straightforward. Works best if the temp is warm to loosen-up the tape and make it easier for the dental floss to cut through it. Might be helpful to use a hiardryer on it a bit before trying the dental floss.

Hard to tell from the photos whether the fake air inlet just needs to be popped into place, or if the prongs on the bumper or fake air inlet have been damaged.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM
d is for Diesel

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Congrats on the purchase!
The front air dam should pop in easily if there are no tabs broken. They come out in order to change your fog light bulb if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX5 View Post
Just traded my 08 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey for an 08 X5 3.0 Black/Black...12,000 miles

Cold weather
Premium
Tech
Running boards
iPod
Satellite

While the EX35 was nice, nothing feels like a BMW Also picked up a 4/60,000mi warranty for a little peace of mind. Trim, not included of course.
Just 2 trim/fit issues I've noticed. The front air dam has popped out, and the lenses in the back are not set properly..one is cracked in the center. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Thanks' for the replies! Yesterday I removed the shield under the engine compartment, it was a no brainer, and it allowed me to have good look at what I was getting into. I sincerely hope that BMW has come up with a better design for the front air dams, but I doubt it, as they can't seem to figure our how to stop the rear bumper from warping.

The tabs that hold the dam in place are part of the bumper mold, and if they are broken from it seems, any object hitting the dam, there is no way to permanently pop it back into place, without if falling back out after a couple bumps in the road.

It's funny, but not...I have seen, and just looked at another online this am, a 09 model, that has the same issue. Very, very common.

I spoke with the service department re both the front dam, and the rear reflectors. He said they have a repair kit for the front, so I guess I'll be checking into that. Hopefully it will be a permanent fix, as it looks like hell. As for the rear reflectors, he said the parts were only $15 bucks, but good luck getting them in. He said, if the bumper was even a little off, from being hit, or more likely, just warping out of shape the slightest, they're next to impossible to fit in.

I'll be updating with a fix for both..I hope!!