Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i sport
How to replace water pump on 04 545

I would like to replace the pump and thermostat, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary
Ads by Google
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Did mine this past summer as preventive maintenance while having to replace alternator as much of what needs to be removed to do both jobs is common.

Steps below - Doing this from memory as I am out of town and away from car - If you need step-by-step with photos there are a few good DIYs floating around.

First is condition of antifreeze. If relatively new you can collect in clean container and reuse. If old you should buy a gallon of antifreeze and a gallon of distilled water. If you want to refresh antifreeze in the entire system you will need at least 2 gallons of antifreeze. You should also assess the age of your hoses, expansion tank and belts as these are all likely failure points in the cooling system as it ages. At 80K+ miles any original components should be replaced while you have it apart.

I bought Beck and Arnley pump and thermostat. Old belt driven pump isn't that complicated so I went cheap. But a week later I had to replace the thermostat as I got an emissions light which I tracked down to the thermostat heater coil having failed. Do your self a favor and buy the OE thermostat. You will also need to replace the plastic water pipe that fits between the pump and engine.

1. Place container under car and open valve on bottom of radiator. Remove coolant expansion tank cover at this time so system will release vacuum and fully drain (you should get around two gallons out).

2. Remove your air filter housing completely as well as the ducts.

3. Remove fan shroud and remove electric fan. Fan housing has hinged ear on one side to facilitate clearing radiator during removal. There is a tube running from the top of the radiator on the drivers side under the shroud to the expansion tank called the vent tube. It is a plastic tube with a couple of short pieces of copper tubing shoved inside where clamps are used on short flexible rubber hoses that help make turns. The plastic tube becomes brittle with age and will break easily. Buy a replacement before you start the job (about $40) or replace the plastic tube with 5/16" copper tubing (about $5) for a permanent fix.

4. Cut a piece of cardboard the size of the radiator and place it against the radiator to protect the fine fins from being bent by tool slips as you work between the radiator and engine.

5. Remove serpentine belt by rotating belt tensioner with a torx bit and breaker bar, and slip an appropriate size (I think 3/16") drill bit through belt tensioner and into hole in engine to keep spring back while removing serpentine belt. After removing belt remove drill bit and allow belt tensioner to relax again. Remove AC belt by slipping rag between belt and pulley and using it to slip the belt off the pulley. (CAUTION- The AC belt is a stretch belt. Without the proper tool to reinstall the belt it is an exercise in absolute frustration. Investigate buying or borrowing this tool before starting the job unless you are a wiz with high tension stretch belts.)

6. Remove crankshaft balancing pulley (because some idiot BMW engineer decided that one of the water pump bolts needed to go behind this pulley). Handle it with great care. This is a big dollar item you don't want to drop. Put it in a safe place until reinstalled. BMW suggests the eight bolts that hold the balancer pulley should be replaced with new.

7. Remove pump/thermostat assembly. Remove the plastic water pipe. Replace it with a new one during reassembly.

8. Suggest you pre-assemble the pump and thermostat as the bolts holding the thermostat to the pump are hard to get at once the pump is hung on the engine. Much easier to assemble and torque the bolts to proper setting before mounting the pump/thermostat assembly to the engine.

9. Reinstall four hoses on pump/thermostat assembly.

10. Reinstall belts.

11. Reinstall install fan (don't forget to plug back in electrical harness), shroud, air cleaner housing and ducts.

12. Close drain valve on radiator and refill radiator via expansion tank.

13. Fire up engine and check for leaks.

Might have forgotten a step or neglected to warn of a land mine so others please chime in!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 AM

Good write up but if you want Google.Someone did water pump with lots of pics.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 525xi
Thanks for the write up.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i sport
That's awesome! Thanks man, really appreciate your help.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: E46 323i, E60 545i
You can also go to this thread with pleanty pictures: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...213&highlight=
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfumbesi View Post
You can also go to this thread with pleanty pictures: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...213&highlight=
Yes, the photos in this writeup were very helpful. I referenced this when I did mine.

Only caution I will give about this write up is if you are not changing out your serpentine belt tensioner do not follow the procedure shown in the third photo. You don't need to remove the dust cap on the tensioner and mess with the center bolt. Just use the torx driver to rotate the tensioner and insert the drill bit to hold it while removing and replacing the serpentine belt (or installing a new belt as they are cheap and should be replaced every two to three years - and especially while it is off and you do no extra work).