Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: Northern CA
hows the reliability on 2009 diesel model (any major common failures?)

I saw a lot of people get water pump stop working at only 40-60K miles, and it cost more than $1k to repair,

anyone have idea that if this type of failure happen only in 2007-2008 3.0si model, or it's a common failure across all X5 models and years?

I'm particularly concerned about the 2009 diesel reliability since I have to make a choice between below 2 vehicles soon:
1. CPO 2009 35d, 44K miles but with only cold weather package + Iphone adapter, monaco blue

2. private sale, 2009 Monaco blue 35d, 38K miles, almost fully loaded except sport pkg (premium pkg, technology pkg, rear climate pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, smartphone integration, ventilated seat package), with only 4-5 months warranty left

both are in the same price range, about $33000-$34500, same year, same color, though miles are slightly different, and the CPO are pretty much minimal loaded.

I prefer a loaded vehicle, given it provides more convenience. but if the reliability and repairing cost is really scary (especially some major common failure happen after warranty), I may go CPO for peace of mind.

any suggestion would be highly appreciated
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen View Post
I saw a lot of people get water pump stop working at only 40-60K miles, and it cost more than $1k to repair,

anyone have idea that if this type of failure happen only in 2007-2008 3.0si model, or it's a common failure across all X5 models and years?

I'm particularly concerned about the 2009 diesel reliability since I have to make a choice between below 2 vehicles soon:
1. CPO 2009 35d, 44K miles but with only cold weather package + Iphone adapter, monaco blue

2. private sale, 2009 Monaco blue 35d, 38K miles, almost fully loaded except sport pkg (premium pkg, technology pkg, rear climate pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, smartphone integration, ventilated seat package), with only 4-5 months warranty left

both are in the same price range, about $33000-$34500, same year, same color, though miles are slightly different, and the CPO are pretty much minimal loaded.

I prefer a loaded vehicle, given it provides more convenience. but if the reliability and repairing cost is really scary (especially some major common failure happen after warranty), I may go CPO for peace of mind.

any suggestion would be highly appreciated
Take the CPO, make sure all the recalls have been done, the water pump on the diesel is not an electric one like the 3.0, it is still an old fashioned belt driven one ( not 1000 dollars)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM

thanks ductman, it seems you did have trouble with X5

good to know the diesel one are still the old fashion water pump, and regarding the recalls, if I made a visit to dealer, will they help to check if all the recall had been done?

to be straight, I'm pretty much inclined to a loaded vehicle as long as it's not that scary to repair it, it's kind of buying insurance, I may end up buy some extended warranty instead.

any other reason should I choose CPO except the longer warranty period?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Take the car you want and BUY the "CPO" warranty by just purchasing the BMW Gold Plan for ~$3500...or get the platinum which is better than the cpo plan.

The gold plan is IDENTICAL to the CPO- on BMW work orders, they are equivalent coverage.

A
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM

I'm thinking so and does it really cover 6yr-100k miles?

And seems 3500 is quite a lot money, within 2 yrs do you reAly think you break water pump type of failure 3 times?

The power train seems quite reliable till now, a lot of passed 60k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Take the car you want and BUY the "CPO" warranty by just purchasing the BMW Gold Plan for ~$3500...or get the platinum which is better than the cpo plan.

The gold plan is IDENTICAL to the CPO- on BMW work orders, they are equivalent coverage.

A
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
skip. First model year diesel. Get a '10, or if you can afford it, get the LCI MY11, even comes with better iDrive
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM

No I cannt afford 11 version, since I'm very very consevative in terms of spending.
It normally takes you close to 50k to get a 11 model, if so I would go brand new Tuareg TDI LUX

however, though 09 is first diesel in US, it actually not something new to BMW at all
M57 is there for decades

Anyway, thanks and I know 10' 11' is definitely better but maybe not the best choice cost wise

Anyone see a reasonably price X5d in bay area or sac area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
skip. First model year diesel. Get a '10, or if you can afford it, get the LCI MY11, even comes with better iDrive
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
My experience with a 2009 X5 35d with 100,150 miles is as follows:

- multiple DEF System Failures
- Intake Air Temp Sensor Failure
- Nav System DVD Failure
- Electronics Getting Hung Up Leading to Battery Drain & No Start. I had to leave the car hooked up to a battery charger for several weeks while the dealer was trying to hunt down the root cause.
- Battery failure due to the above in year 2 of ownership
- DEF system active tank failure
- Engine Malfunction that lead to 5 weeks in the shop while every sensor, a computer and air tubes on the turbos was replaced.
- I'm probably forgetting a few things

Buy as much warranty as you can, save your money for non warranty repairs & pray.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks man, You scared me and now I'm serious thinking either CPO or go with MDX for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
My experience with a 2009 X5 35d with 100,150 miles is as follows:

- multiple DEF System Failures
- Intake Air Temp Sensor Failure
- Nav System DVD Failure
- Electronics Getting Hung Up Leading to Battery Drain & No Start. I had to leave the car hooked up to a battery charger for several weeks while the dealer was trying to hunt down the root cause.
- Battery failure due to the above in year 2 of ownership
- DEF system active tank failure
- Engine Malfunction that lead to 5 weeks in the shop while every sensor, a computer and air tubes on the turbos was replaced.
- I'm probably forgetting a few things

Buy as much warranty as you can, save your money for non warranty repairs & pray.