Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
I am not sure fuel efficiency is the real reason to use nitrogen. I have used nitrogen on and off for over 8 years, and really could not detect any efficiency in fuel mileage. What nitrogen does do, it keeps your tire pressure more constant and you'll find that you don't need to monitor you tire pressure as often. Outside temperature changes will not have much effect on tires pressures when inflated with nitrogen, in my opinion. Keeping the inflation levels at the proper pressure are the real reasons for using nitrogen.
Ads by Google
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3
The reason for Nitrogen is that the molecules are larger than Oxygen and that you get less air leakage. The air is already 78% nitrogen so you are just making your tire 20% more. As stated you still need to check cold tire pressure on regular basis. My dealer wanted to charge me as do some tire places - not worth paying for but good if you can get it for free such as Costco, etc. Here is a link that will help: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by patelshivam94 View Post
Hello Festers,

I was consider putting Nitrogen in all four tires to increase fuel efficiency.

Has anyone done this on any of their Bimmers? Is it worth it?

I currently have Pirelli Cinturato's P7 All Season RFT on a 2013 X3 28i.

I also work at a Lexus dealer so the cost for me would be very minimal, if any.

All advice is appreciated.

Thank You.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Nitrogen in your tires will not increase gas milage, but properly inflated tires will.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
In my strong opinion N2 tire fills are a scam for the gullible. If the fill is already 78% N2, what can increasing it to 100% actually accomplish? In fact, you can't get to 100% unless you completely evacuate the existing air in the tire first and start filling from a vacuum. Therefore, you are not consequentially increasing the amount of N2 already in the tire.

Last edited by RhoXS; 04-14-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 PM
CDN x3

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 30i
I agree
Waste of money
Pure scam
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM

One of the advantage to N2 is that the humidify is very low, keeping everything nice and dry. You can accomplish the same thing if use a air dryer after your air compressor, but most garage do not have that.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Snake Oil
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Nitrogen is fine but don't pay for it. Costco uses nitrogen and doesn't charge extra.

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
I don't believe it's snake oil but it's sort of one of those diminishing return type of things if you have to pay.

Go fast guys have been using Nitrogen for years because it keeps tire pressures much more stable over a larger range of temperatures.

For race car drivers it is critical as a tire at 46psi reacts very different from a tire at 36psi.

This translates to fuel economy. If it's 90F and you set your tires pressure with "air" when the temperature drops to 30F the pressure in your tires is going to be quite different which could effect fuel economy. If you check your tires regularly and have access to a compressor probably not a big deal. If you're like most people and never check your tires except when you get a warning on your dash then Nitrogen will keep the pressure more constant over a wider variety of ambient temperatures.

How much fuel economy would that translate to - who knows. But if you drive around most of the time with your tires under inflated maybe quite a lot.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
Go fast guys have been using Nitrogen for years because it keeps tire pressures much more stable over a larger range of temperatures.

For race car drivers it is critical as a tire at 46psi reacts very different from a tire at 36psi.
"The pressure in nitrogen filled tires will change when the temperature changes, just as it does with air filled tires, because nitrogen and oxygen respond to changes in ambient temperature in a similar manner."

http://www.getnitrogen.org/sub.php?v...eratureeffects
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
So much misinformation. Pure N2 changes pressure EXACTLY them same as air with changes in temperature. PV=nRT applies the same.

Dry air has all the same advantages as N2. Moisture in air can lead to larger decreases in pressure at low temperatures, as the water vapor can condense. However the efffect is still small, as water vapor makes up such a small overall percentage of air.

As for slower leaking, yes true, but still a very small effect, N2 still leaks and you still have to check your tire pressure.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
it keeps tire pressures much more stable over a larger range of temperatures.
Why would pure N2 (even if 100% purity is achievable and its not because the tires are not evacuated before they are filled with N2) cause less of a pressure change as a function of temperature than air which is 78% N2? As Todd92 and The X Men already insightfully stated, PV=nRT applies to ideal gasses and that does not differentiate between N2, O2, etc.

I would think pure dry N2 has two theoretical advantages over air. First it does not contain O2 so there is no degradation of the tire rubber inside the tire from oxidation. Second, N2 should be dry whereas air might contain sufficeint moisture to have the potential of condensing out in the tire.

If anyone worries about either of these issues, IMO, the quality of your life must be in the toilet because you worry about stuff that just does not happen. I have never used N2 (it once supposedly came in a new Lexus) and never will but in 45 years I never have had even the slightest evidence of either of the two problems above. The O2 oxidation issue is especially nonsense IMO because the outside of the rubber is constantly exposed to both air and ultraviolet sunlight no matter what is inside. Certainly dry rot does occur but how many people have a tire long enough for that to be an issue?

This issue continues to come up and it does bother me to see people waste their money on such pure BS.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
I do stand corrected.

I should have known better as I can even state the PV=nRT relationship.

So I did some more reading as to why race car guys use it and it is really based on rate of expansion or contraction because of the liquids that compressed air typically contains.

The rate of expansion of Dry nitrogen is more predictable.

I would say for street use if that is the only real advantage then yes "snake oil". The idea that people are touting Nitrogen to increase fuel economy sounds like BS.

If it's free no downside but certainly would not pay for it.