Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Unhappy electrical problems after battery replaced

hello,
I had my battery replaced yesterday due to an emergency and not close to any bmw dealer and I put an autozone battery h8 recommended. duralast platinum.

now i am getting an electrical malfunction error, transmission error, windows do not go up and down, doors do not lock, wipers keep on wiping, on my 2008 528i.

what do you think is the problem??
thanks for any advice
I am in Palm Springs, California
I am way out of warranty and will like to see how much is the damage going to be.

thanks so much

vimendoz
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Did you use battery tender while replacing a battery?
If not then you lost your settings so you need reprogram at dealer or any shop that has a BMW computer.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
H8 is an AGM battery type. Did you have a lead acid or AGM battery in your vehicle previously? If it was the original from 2008 it was most definitely lead acid, which would have required recoding the amp hours for conversion to AGM. I would go back and get a lead acid battery type, if you don't want to deal with this expense of updating coding for AGM.. My second thought would be you probably didn't reset the IBS to permit the vehicle to detect a new charging profile. This can often lead to the new battery not fully charging and/or become quickly weak. You would have to do this for EITHER battery type. My third thought would be a fried IBS cable which is extremely common on the 2008's. The malfunctioning IBS can cause all kind of electronic problems like not permitting the vehicle to go into sleep mode or not providing power to components which need it to retain memory settings. Nice thing about replacing the IBS is you dont need to reset it, I would replace the IBS with the battery on a 08. Read up on some of the MANY battery replacement threads, it's not just as easy as slapping a new battery in.

Last edited by z0lt3c; 12-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Battery is h8

Thank you
I can not replace the battery to an acid base, its is an AGM now,
I took it to a local BMW mechanic and he said he registed the new battery
Today. But the electrical problems and messages continue as we speak. What is on IBS cable?
I'm sure that was not reset it before I switched over to the new battery
Do you think that changing an IBS cable will be a very expensive fix?
Thank you so much
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Tell him to do reinitialisation

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
The IBS is integrated into the negative battery cable. It has a 2 or 3 prong harness making the connection between the IBS circuit and the vehicle ECU. You can unplug this harness from the negative battery cable, it will bypass the IBS. If the problems stop then you have isolate your fault. New IBS is around $275, simple DIY and requires no coding.. However, I'm not convinced your vehicle was properly updated for AGM battery type. I would ask your mechanic more clearly what he did. Reseting the IBS is fairly easy but recoding for AGM is usually dealer only work (or very good indy). I don't follow why you can't switch back to lead acid, buying another battery will be cheaper then frying your electronic system using the wrong battery type.

Last edited by z0lt3c; 12-01-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Unhappy Dealer Appt tomorrwo

I will take it to the dealer tomorrow and will be updating you all on the issues that it has, I can tell you that the indy that said that he programmed and registered my battery to an GSM probably only took my $85.00 and did nothing. if the dealer recommends back to acid battery I will do so without a question
thanks you and talk to you later.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Hello friends,
all of the problems have been fixed now, it was a fuse that was blown and protected a module from getting fried.
needles to say I will not be replacing batteries on my own any more. $245.00 tag at the dealer.
but now they recommended a transmission leak to be fixed and mentioned that the pan is plastic so it needs to be replaced at a whopping price of
$1300.00 Wow
I wont be fixing that any time soon
thanks for your replies
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vimendoz View Post
Hello friends,
all of the problems have been fixed now, it was a fuse that was blown and protected a module from getting fried.
needles to say I will not be replacing batteries on my own any more. $245.00 tag at the dealer.
but now they recommended a transmission leak to be fixed and mentioned that the pan is plastic so it needs to be replaced at a whopping price of
$1300.00 Wow
I wont be fixing that any time soon
thanks for your replies
Sorry to hear,
the common steps is always disconnect pos(+) then neg(-) wires then reverse the order. So when the pos(+) is connected the car is not energized yet since the neg(-) is not connected yet. Been doing this on most of cars and never have any problems.

BTW, on trans leak, push the dealer for goodwill work, BMWNA will reason with you (at least most likely) if:
1) you own since brand new
2) has some maintainance records
3) help to own other BMW as you are a loyal one to the brand.
in any rate goodluck, even if dealer will pay for parts and you pay for labor, it still better.

PS: you ought mentioning it that many folks with 6HPxx transmission experience leaks while under waranty ~30kmiles. So you can tell BMWNA that the leaks was POTENTIALLY there while under waranty, it;s just dealer never checked it, since tech has to remove belly cover. the gist is, BMWNA ought to cover the work now since there is no proof the leak started after waranty is over.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 12-07-2012 at 07:20 AM.