Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
My wife and I visuted Rome a few years ago and all I noticed as far as vehicles there were the cars of my dreams! We stayed near the Piazza del Popolo and, one day, the various police agencies were showing off their cars...would you believe they even had an RS4???!!! Anyway, did not see many dents...but there were narrow streets a plenty. Fabulous city that, though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
OK maybe they're getting better at driving then (I also know the authorities are getting to their asses by installing avg speed cameras on freeways which used to resemble the Autobahns...). Back 10 yrs ago or so when I was there, I cried at how many dents and scratches I saw all around me. It was criminal. Some of the most congested, organised, chaotic and aggressive driving I have ever seen (and I am from Europe, mind you, so I am used to rough driving and complex traffic scenarios such as massive 3-lane wide roundabouts with 5 incoming arterial roads!). But then, Italians are so chaotic and disorganized at anything they do, so no wonder really.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It's obviously different things for different people and that's part of what makes them special, all of them including the 328i that is in another universe from it's competition in terms of communicative steering and chassi. It absolutely crushes it's competition and it has a smooth as silk NA 3-liter inline six. Now that's pretty BMW for some.
True the 328 has a silky smooth motor, but the heavy stock wheels, RFTs, GM auto, and standard suspension in the loaner fleets are what is giving people a negative impression of the 328. Make changes to the above and it can be considered one of BMW's all-time greats. We would have traded our 335d in within six months if I left it stock.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
D, germans do not let their hair hang down, even while drinking beer during a fest.
The Bavarians put on their Lederhosen, during your ED, if you bring the lady, watch out she is not going to compare the different qualities leather in the 650, her nappa and merino and the lederhosen! Remember, the amount of beer consumed is impressive and it is not called carnival without a reason.

So you are the guy with the faulty relay at over a thousand bucks? You might publish the name of this tractor shop, it seems they know how to write bills better than how to start a tractor. How many hours of labour? For only a fawlty relay? I'll remember to check that first if the Iseki gives me any starting problem. On the Quads I replaced two starter relays in former years, a two minute job, at 9 dollars a relay.

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-20-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Okay that was a bit harsh, but I'll let you enjoy some of my pain.

About two weeks ago, I had my tractor picked-up to check an issue I am having getting it started. Yes, they provide door service, but no Sears ridng lawnmower loaners. Anyway, after a few days I was called by the service tech to inform me that the aftermarket starter they installed wasn't working and wanted to know if I was willing to pay $765 for an OEM starter. I asked him what he thought I would do with a two ton piece of lawn art? So he picked up on the hint and said they would order the starter. Today, I got the call from Service manager to tell me my tractor was fixed, but there was good news and bad news. The good news was it didn't need a new starter, but the bad news was that the labor bill was a bit high. He went on to tell me that the installed the aftermarket starter, then the OEM starter, and then they needed engineering help from New Holland before they finally found the problem was a $20 relay. The labor bill was $1,105, plus another $66 for shop supplies!

Feel better?
I honestly would have told them they should have started there first and that, at most, you were paying for 3 hours of labor.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
D, germans do not let their hair hang down, even while drinking beer during a fest.
The Bavarians put on their Lederhosen, during your ED, if you bring the lady, watch out she is not going to compare the different qualities leather in the 650, her nappa and merino and the lederhosen! Remember, the amount of beer consumed is impressive and it is not called carnival without a reason.
Read my posts and check my album, then tell me about the reserved Bavarians.

Mar 4th delivery - 12hr rule

Fasching in Munich March 2011

Quote:
So you are the guy with the faulty relay at over a thousand bucks? You might publish the name of this tractor shop, it seems they know how to write bills better than how to start a tractor. How many hours of labour? For only a fawlty relay? I'll remember to check that first if the Iseki gives me any starting problem. On the Quads I replaced two starter relays in former years, a two minute job, at 9 dollars a relay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I honestly would have told them they should have started there first and that, at most, you were paying for 3 hours of labor.
Yeah it was something like 11hrs of labor, but I'm not going to worry about it. Just imagine what the bill would have been if they installed a new starter.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks to D the recesion is almost over.
Come on guys, here is a good example to follow.
Buy some cars and do not complain when the lawnmower repair is a bit over expected budget.
D, chapeau!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Badge whores will do anything to claim they drive a BMW!
I agree with Stealth on this one. I can't even begin to count how many idiot 3 series owners I've seen that go around parading their stripper lease spec 3 series because it's a BMW.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:

BTW, no X5M today, apparently it's the CA's day off. The nerve of some people!
For the $200k that you're paying them, that is unacceptable
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Badge whores?
Go check out the F30 section. You can feel yourself going brain-dead from the stupid **** that they post over there
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

My CA called this evening and it's a done deal, we are getting the X5M from Fairfax which is identical to the one in signature plus a spare. If our schedules can work out, we'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon, otherwise it's Saturday. I created an album for the X5M here at the Fest.

X5M Pre-Delivery Pics

Last edited by dunderhi; 12-23-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
For the $200k that you're paying them, that is unacceptable
It's still better than waiting 12 weeks for their next ordered X5M to arrive.

Quote:
Go check out the F30 section. You can feel yourself going brain-dead from the stupid **** that they post over there
Based upon what I have read over in the F30 forum, some the the Fest's wealthiest members hang out there.

Last edited by dunderhi; 12-20-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
My CA called this evening and it's a done deal, we are getting the X5M from Fairfax which is identical to the one in signature plus a spare. If our schedules can work out, we'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon, otherwise it's Saturday. I created an album for the X5M here at the Fest.

X5M Pre-Delivery Pics
Nice! LED headlights and DIRAC sound are options I wish I had. Congrats! Looks great.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
I agree with Stealth on this one. I can't even begin to count how many idiot 3 series owners I've seen that go around parading their stripper lease spec 3 series because it's a BMW.
I find the notion that the 328i is such a crappy car that it's only bought for the roundel to not only be spectaculary wrong but also arrogant, elitist and condescending. And as far as "stupid questions" we have no less than four X5s on our street and I can almost guarantee the none of the owners have ever popped the hood or now what the hofmeister kink is. Does that make them badge whores? Maybe there is one or two since all the luxury brands attracts them and they are not confined to the 328, I would think that the 7 series has more as a percentage. Mostly though I think they bought the X5 since it's the car they like the best, wether it's looks or driving dynamics or something else other than just the roundel, and the same can be said for any BMW.

Last edited by solstice; 12-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Wow awesome ride man i guess Mrs. D will not be able to sleep tonight.
Oh wait . . . or that will be you?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 AM

I have started the countdown.
Keep breathing!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:

X5M Pre-Delivery Pics
Wait so the ca at SS took the day off and you got another one from fairfax! AWESOME!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Smile

Quote:
I find the notion that the 328i is such a crappy car that it's only bought for the roundel to not only be spectaculary wrong but also arrogant, elitist and condescending. And as far as "stupid questions" we have no less than four X5s on our street and I can almost guarantee the none of the owners have ever popped the hood or now what the hofmeister kink is. Does that make them badge whores? .
If its an empty 35i yes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
Wow awesome ride man i guess Mrs. D will not be able to sleep tonight.
Oh wait . . . or that will be you?
It's like Christmas morning, except we can't open the gifts until we go to Uncle Melvin's house around dinner time.

Quote:
I have started the countdown.
Keep breathing!
Time is short, but unfortunately there's a potential spoiler. I need to wait at home for a UPS Freight delivery (new Jacuzzi cover) which is scheduled between 11 to 7 today.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Wait so the ca at SS took the day off and you got another one from fairfax! AWESOME!
I guess the details are getting confusing with so many posts.

X5M Timelne
Saturday: Negotiated a below Invoice deal at Northwest BMW for an X5M currently not in stock. The one I wanted was in stock at Russel, but they weren't in the mood to negotiate such a good price without a fight, plus the CA didn't even know the X5M was built in the US.
Monday: CA requested that the X5M be transferred from Russel. Russel said it was the owner's personal demostrator. I told my CA that's not what they told me when I visited Russel.
Tuesday: Northwest Sales Manager attempted to work with Russel, but no luck. So the CA searched the East Coast for similiar X5Ms. He found the one at BMW of Fairfax. We talked and I gave him the okay to get the truck from Fairfax. That's when the color changed from Alpine White to Carbon Black.
Wednesday: I was expecting to hear the transfer was approved, but instead found out it was the CA's day off. It would have been nice for him to tell me that little detail.
Thursday: CA called to say the transfer from Fairfax was agreed to by all parties and that they will transport it by truck to Northwest on Friday.
Friday: Sitting at home waiting for phone calls.

I think the confuser was my talking about driving the 650 at SS. The car was Carbon Black, but lacked Adaptive Drive. I decided to do a European Delivery for the 650 in February.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Well, it's not an M6!

I drove a Sakhir Orange/Black beauty and I was a bit disappointed. Sure it was blisteringly fast, but the ride was terrible. It felt like it was a track car, the three suspension settings were stiff, harsh, and ouch my spine. I would have a hard time using this car as a commuter. I was also surprised by the turbo whine heard inside the cabin. It's too bad, because the car was absolutley gorgeous.
Hmm, I thought the M6 and M5 rode pretty well when I did my time in them. However, I do realize that you drive over some of the worst roads in the country so that can certainly explain your impression of the ride.

Quote:
Yeah, I was bummed too.

Now let me tell about a car the I really liked: The X5M. I was shocked how well it drove and rode. It had plenty of torque to get it moving, the brakes hauled it down quickly, it cornered flat, and it was pretty quiet while inside. I was actually expecting to it to be a bit harsh, but I think it would be an excellent daily driver replacement for my Dinan 5. Best of all it passed the tandem in the cargo area test. Mrs D is looking forward to her new ride.

Car number 2 (yes we had a happy salesman) is a 650i xDrive. I'm a big guy and I was getting tired of the relatively smallish door opening on the F10, so the 650 is a natural choice. I really like the updated HUD and the rest of the car has the goodness of the F10's features. I went with the Cinnamon Brown interior, which IMHO has the best looking contrast stiching for the sixer. I will do a European Delivery late Winter/Early Spring.

Pics and links will be in my sigpic shortly.

As far as changes or tweaks, I plan to replace the Summer RFTs on the X5M with Conti DWS. This will be my drive down to DC car, so I'll be ready for the potholes. For the 650, the 351Ms will go straight to the Basement for storage, and I'll continue to use my BBS RGR's for the Summer/Winter rotation.

Thanks guys for your support! Mrs D does find your comments amusing, but she says there's no way she'll ever get a Kia.
Well I have to say I told you so. I ordered my x5M after being incredibly impressed with it on a test drive. Glad to hear you and the lady went the x5M route.

Quote:
I figured the next gen X5M would be a 2015 model and as others have suggested, it might be good to skip the first year, so a 2016 X5M is only 3 year lease away.
Exactly. The E70 x5 was a disaster in the reliability department when it was released. There is no way I would buy an x5 in the first 2-3 years of production. 2016 is sounding good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Congrats - the X5M is a great car. And it has superb tuning options including plug and play modules.

I reckon next gen X5 will be out 6 months after the xDrive50. BMW has a implemented a new strategy of reducing the time delay to launch M and non M cars close together - like AMG does. They are co-developing. So for example we already have spy shots of X5 mules and M4 mules out there testing even though the car isn't out. With the F10, the regular car was out for about a year before we saw M5 mules.
I agree with you on the x5M being a great car. Even if the new x5M comes out in 2015 I, like Dunderhi, am doing a 3 year lease so I can pick up the new one in 2016 if we decide to stay with the x5M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Congratulations . Those are some awesome rides. I love the X5M and would get one when it is time to replace my BMW but since I have an N54 powered 535xi that has had more than its fair share of problems, the wife put her foot down. No more BMWs for me.

Although, the X5M would be a perfect transport vehicle for our 85 lbs labrador Perry.
Take her for a test drive in the x5M and she will change her tune. My wife has never loved a car more than this one.

Quote:
Thanks!

In 2007 we purchase a Pewter Metallic MB GL450 and a Pewter Metallic MB SL550. We called the vehicles "the car" and "the truck." With our BMW 335d and 550i it was my car and her car. This time around we will go back to referring to them as "the car" and "the truck." Hopefully, that doesn't offend any X5M owners.
Nah.

Quote:
The GL550 wouldn't have been much different. Merc's SUVs are VERY isolated and numb.
They are. You guys probably remember me having the Range Rover SC, GL 550 and ML 63 AMG on my short list. The x5M, in its last year of production, beat out all of the others to win a spot in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I only WISH BMW made a full size truck
It is coming. When? I have no clue.

Quote:
Nope, sorry, I am talking about the ML and GL (newest models) I have driven with the steering so light I could turn it with my pinky. No feedback whatsoever. The chassis is composed but soft, and the steering is precise but numb and light.

I have driven 3 new ML's (all 3 engines) and one GL.
Ditto.

Quote:
Eww that big slow pig... Range Rover SC long before that piggy.

*So BMW:SS is saying they cant load it on my car and they're hoping they can put the car back to normal tomorrow... what a fail! So glad I didn't ask for all the work at once.

Just wrote a long a$$ email to Dinan... Basically just said glad I didn't ask for suspension flywheels exc. only to get zero software looks like I won't be getting their products anytime soon
Agree. My list went like this:
1) x5M
2) 2013 (new) Range Rover SC
3) ML 63 AMG
4) GL 550 was dead last.

Quote:
DC is like Libya after a US bombing run.
Yep. I lived in D.C. for 4 years and suffered 6 bent rims and 4 accidents (all not my fault) in that short time period.

Quote:
Downtown Houston is worse.

Fact.

I didn't think it could get worse than DC...I was wrong.
It is hard to believe anywhere is worse than D.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
True dat! I do my best to avoid driving through D.C. at all times. Hazards include potholes, road construction, speed cameras (up to $250 fine!!!), and damn bicyclists! I remember being stopped at a red light in my 7 Series and a bicycle courier thought there was enough room for him to squeeze between mine and another car at the light...there wasn't! He scraped my door and kept on going...SOB! Because I cross D.C. daily to get to/from work, I use Rock Creek Park as much as possible.
Rock Creek Park FTW. It was my saving grace when I lived in Silver Spring and went to work in Georgetown.

Quote:

X5M Pre-Delivery Pics
Congrats!! My x5M landed last night and I was at the dealer when the car carrier pulled in with in on board. My CA is off today and we agreed to pick it up on Saturday. Looks like we both may take delivery on the same day. The 650 is still on the short list to replace the 535i down the road and I will be expecting many updates from you to help me with that decision. The wife feels I would be happier with the M5 over the 650. Time will tell.....

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 12-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Hmm, I thought the M6 and M5 rode pretty well when I did my time in them. However, I do realize that you drive over some of the worst roads in the country so that can certainly explain your impression of the ride.
I think the combination of ARS, stiffer springs, ultralight wheels, and non-RFTs on my 550 produced a smooth flat ride on any road surface. I didn't realize how good the ride was until I put my stock RFTs & heavy a$$ wheel back on the car a couple of weeks ago. Now there isn't a smooth option for bad roads. If I think about it, the M6 with its 20" wheels would probably feel similiar to my car if I had an OEM 20" set-up. I'll put my BBS wheels on the new 650, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing for the X5. The stock 300M wheels weigh 39 & 41 lbs each, which borders on the ridiculous.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
This picture looks very much like the cockpit of my M3 which is a VERY nice place to be. Just swap the shifter for a DCT and it would be hard to tell the difference. Mine is Jerez Black ( very close to CB ) with black novillo leather and carbon trim. I would feel right at home in your new truck.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/alb...ictureid=32079

Last edited by solstice; 12-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
This picture looks very much like the cockpit of my M3 which is a VERY nice place to be. Just swap the shifter for a DCT and it would be hard to tell the difference. Mine is Jerez Black ( very close to CB ) with black novillo leather and carbon trim. I would feel right at home in your new truck.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/alb...ictureid=32079
Keep the black impeccable and it is awesome!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 AM

So.. M6, M5, or just to piss of stealth a true drivers car; the Porsche Turbo S, with accomplimentary drivers lessons, HAH!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
So.. M6, M5, or just to piss off stealth a true drivers car; the Porsche Turbo S, with accomplimentary drivers lessons, HAH!
, but the Turbo S is one of those AWD cars that you also dislike, right? Anyway, don't forget the deal with Mrs D, it was to get regular car now (the 650xi) and when our mortgage is paid off in three years, then it would be time to get special car. It's not my fault she picked out an XM5 while I was shopping for my car.