Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I'm seeing several suggestions for p-cars... interesting for a BMW site. At least you guys are putting your brand loyalty aside and looking out for my best interests.

Anyway, while we were driving home tonight, I was relaying the relative monthly costs of the 650xi, M6, SL550, and SL63 when Mrs Dunderhi made a proposition. I should get a 3yr lease on a 650xi (the practical car) and since our mortgage will be paid off by the time the lease is up, as part of us celebrating the termination of the mortgage I can buy a roadster of my choosing and do a 3 week European tour with it. I asked even an SLS? She said yes even an SLS. Hmm, sounds too good to be true; what's the catch? "No catch, just if you want car payments the size of a mortgage, you should pay off the mortgage first." Sounds fair, right? So now my conscience is getting to me and I fessed up that the squeak in my 550 is easily fixed and Mrs D said she was smart enough not to let me trick her into buying a car, but she could tell it is getting time for something new. I guess I'll chalk it up to women's intuition.

Now let's see if I have all of the incentives straight:
1) Holiday credit - $3,500
2) Owner Loyalty - $750
3) BMW App - $700
4) BMWCCA - $1,000
5) USAA - $1,000 or ED - $6,145 (less travel expenses for a quick pick-up)

This is all before any negotiations. Maybe, I'm catching incentive fever. Someone please tell me it's still cheaper to keep my 550 for the next three years.
I highly recommend the 650, I LOVE my car, and I came from a 550ix myself. The only thing I miss is the X drive. It's just not the same car and IAS is terribly unnatural. But the car itself it fantastic. Are you going coupe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Now that's impressive!
GM sure does know how to make a V8! Now if only they could get the rest of the truck up to the levels of luxury as the Germans. I am desperately trying to keep myself out of a Mercedes dealer, I don't know if I can resist a new GL- if I actually see it it's all over...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Of subject, but why do american women seem to be having the need of transports that can easily haul a couple of horses out of the field?
That is a good question, in our land of plenty and wasteful, its pretty typical for the upper class house wives to drive around in a 3 ton SUV all by herself 90% of the time. A friend of mine's wife owns a 7 seater Callidac Escalade. This is a 5500 pound SUV that gets 15 MPG. They only have one kid and he is 15 years old. When ask why she owns such a big truck, she reply that she likes to sit up high and a big truck makes her feel safer on the road. She also have to drive a car pool 1 day out of the month for her's son's swim meets. I guess that justify why she needs a 7 seater

Last edited by The X Men; 12-07-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Quote:
Of subject, but why do american women seem to be having the need of transports that can easily haul a couple of horses out of the field?
That is a good question, in our land of plenty and wasteful, its pretty typical for the upper class house wives to drive around in a 3 ton SUV all by herself 90% of the time. A friend of mine's wife owns a 7 seater Callidac Escalade. This is a 5500 pound SUV that gets 15 MPG. They only have on kid and he is 15 years old. When ask why she owns such a big truck, she reply that she likes to sit up high and a big truck makes her feel safer on the road. She also have to drive a car pool 1 day out of the month for her's son's swim meets. I guess that justify why she needs a 7 seater
Mrs D mentioned that she's leaning towards the GL since the X5 looks a little too small. No kids, no horses, just a long tandem bicycle that fits inside a GL - no bike rack needed.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
That is a good question, in our land of plenty and wasteful, its pretty typical for the upper class house wives to drive around in a 3 ton SUV all by herself 90% of the time. A friend of mine's wife owns a 7 seater Callidac Escalade. This is a 5500 pound SUV that gets 15 MPG. They only have one kid and he is 15 years old. When ask why she owns such a big truck, she reply that she likes to sit up high and a big truck makes her feel safer on the road. She also have to drive a car pool 1 day out of the month for her's son's swim meets. I guess that justify why she needs a 7 seater
An escalade is a safer vehicle. There are few things on the road safer than a full size GM truck. Most people can't justify 3 cars so having a full size SUV as a second vehicle for a stay at home spouse to drive locally makes a lot of sense. My truck gets loaded up all the time. And the funny part is my 750 struggles to get 15mpg and I wish my 650 would get close to that...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Try to stick to two of the same make; you should be able to strike an all-around better deal.

I'd suggest either X5 50i / 650i , ML550 / SL550 or Cayenne S / 911 Carrera S.

Let us know how you make out!

Last edited by dbs600; 12-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
An escalade is a safer vehicle. There are few things on the road safer than a full size GM truck. Most people can't justify 3 cars so having a full size SUV as a second vehicle for a stay at home spouse to drive locally makes a lot of sense. My truck gets loaded up all the time. And the funny part is my 750 struggles to get 15mpg and I wish my 650 would get close to that...
Hmmm, it is all about perspective. Are there any statistics of children being injured and killed around schools by mothers handling these monsters around schools? So if they exist, how save are these horse handling cars in an urban surrounding for the people that are not in it?
And burning all this gas on completely not understandable circumstances, huge trucks only filled by a 60 kg spouse that hardly can see over the steering rim, it seems to make no sense at all.
Of course when you are living in texas and have to pick up the horses now and then, you need a big truck. But for getting the neighbourhood girls to the ballet course, I do not think so.

So back to topic, I wish the MRS a very nice nimble good looking car, not some mobile home with high seating position kind of ugglinesh.

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-07-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM

I agree, bigger is safer, but where does it end? Does everyone have to be driving around in a 18 wheelers just to feel safe on the road.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Are you going coupe?
That would be my choice.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
I agree, bigger is safer, but where does it end?
I don't think anyone is buying these anymore (International CXT) but they once were available to the public - so I guess it ended here:

Kidding aside, the X5 IMO is the perfect size - unless you need to transport many people on a daily basis.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM

Maybe get one these for a daily driver, it looks really safe, those little sports car like the Porsche 911 would just bounce off this thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monaco-cayman-luxury-motorcoach-exterior.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	352272  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I don't think anyone is buying these anymore (International CXT) but they once were available to the public - so I guess it ended here:

Kidding aside, the X5 IMO is the perfect size - unless you need to transport many people on a daily basis.
Besides the ATV there will be some room left for a couple of bikes, so this one will do nicely.

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-07-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Maybe get one these for a daily driver, it looks really safe, those little sports car like the Porsche 911 would just bounce off this thing
Far better than a Mercedes and with ample room for two teams of cheerleaders.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, it is all about perspective. Are there any statistics of children being injured and killed around schools by mothers handling these monsters around schools? So if they exist, how save are these horse handling cars in an urban surrounding for the people that are not in it?
And burning all this gas on completely not understandable circumstances, huge trucks only filled by a 60 kg spouse that hardly can see over the steering rim, it seems to make no sense at all.
Of course when you are living in texas and have to pick up the horses now and then, you need a big truck. But for getting the neighbourhood girls to the ballet course, I do not think so.

So back to topic, I wish the MRS a very nice nimble good looking car, not some mobile home with high seating position kind of ugglinesh.
All I know is I have never heard of one child on LI getting injured by a monster truck near school. But I see articles every day with people dying in their cars. And it's almost 100% always small to mid sized cars- toyotas, hondas, mazdas, chevys etc. It is astonishingly rare to see someone dying in an accident in a full size SUV, or large German car for that matter.

And frankly, gas burning is the very very very last thing that crosses my mind when it comes to safety. Go bizzerk on my un eco friendliness, I can take it...

Quote:
I agree, bigger is safer, but where does it end? Does everyone have to be driving around in a 18 wheelers just to feel safe on the road.
No. I would prefer if few others drove a full size truck. I would prefer if everyone else felt incredibly safe in their 5 star rated Mini, or Civic. In real life it is survival of the fittest. And my family is safest in a truck like an ESV. Should my wife get into an accident with an average vehicle I know chances are they will be just fine. And if they get in an accident with another full size truck, as unlikely as it is, they are in the vehicle with the best chances for survival...

Sorry for the topic hijack

Dunderhi- the coupe is stunning- if you decide to go for it make sure you go for the leather dash and ceramic controls along with the normal toys. The full leather treatment really sets the car apart. Also- B&O is hands down the best sounding audio system I have ever heard in a car- it really does rival many very good quality home audio systems....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM

@ milner, I do not blame you for your energy consumption.
And we are still on topic, it is about MRS D not shopping around with D and maybe been put in a truck after having driven one of the most drivable cars in the world; the BMW 3 series......
Any suffragette would argue against that I suppose.
The man in a tossable and dangerous toy and the wife in a utilitarian tank?
Oh my.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

We did some test driving tonight.

1) X5 35d - Despite have the same motor at her 335d, the X5 proved to be a bit too heavy for the diesel. Mrs D wondered if she could put her feet through bottom of the X5 to pedal like Fred Flinstone (her words, not mine). The interior isn't as nice as my car, but it was just fine. Mrs D says that's part of the problem, it was just fine; a pleasant fine, but fine none the less. She says she expected more from a BMW SUV. The suspension was firm, but there was a bit of lean in the turns. This was an X5 without the self-leveling suspension or the adaptive suspension options. The X5 was quieter than her 335d, and overall she rates NVH as good. The brakes did their job well.

2) GL450 - It can be summed up in one word: relaxing. She found it to comfortable both as the driver and as a passenger. The interior was vault-like, even more so than the F10. The power steering was so light that I almost think if I give it a good spin, it would keep spinning on its own. She didn't like the MB seat control location on the door, but that's an MB thing. The GL felt to be about two sizes bigger than the X5. The small screen on the MB NAV system was disappointing. This truck is long range highway cruiser. This GL did lack two of the suspension options that would have helped its handling.

3) 650xi - 20 way power seats are much better than 18 way power seats. Mrs D said with power side bolsters she didn't need to hold onto the door for dear life while I was driving. The stock exhaust on the 650 sounds better than the 550, but not nearly as aggressive as my Dinan exhaust. I liked the new HUD with the speed info. The lower seating position of the 6 makes the 6 look bigger from the inside than the 5. Given my seating position, I would consider the sixer a three seater - nobody would fit behind me. Ingress and egress is much easier in the coupe versus the F10. Overall a very nice car.

So, now I'm not sure what's next for the SUV search. Mrs D suggested we wait for the wait until Baltimore or Washington autoshow. I wonder if we can find something in Sahkir Orange that might fit the bill.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Now I'm curious to know Mrs D's review on the Cayenne GTS. Are you planning to take one for a spin? If so, check if they have one without Servotronic. Btw the Raptor is one badass truck, I wish they made it in SUV version. I'm not a fan of diesels for sporty driving but if they made a Raptor SUV with a big honking Cummins diesel it would be a really fun adventure ride.

Last edited by solstice; 12-07-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM

The Raptor seems wide enough for holding the tandem sideways.
So easy loading and unloading and you can leave the bikes in the car all the time.
Which is probably very handy whilst you can drive to town, park the car somewhere on a large parking place and do your town center shopping by bicycle. Nice extra feature would be a distance controlable sliding ramp and automated back doors for just entering in the car on bike.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 AM

You should try driving a 650 with the M sport package. There is no comparing the exhausts, the M is just plain mean. And it gets really exciting if you put it in sport and slide the shifter over to DS. I can't keep gas in the tank it sounds so good...

Which did you prefer, the GL or the X if you had to choose one? Did you test the gl350?

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
GL is a freaking massive vehicle. Really, the X5 is comparable to the ML, despite having a quasi third row.

Dunderhi, wait a few months. New X5 coming shortly. Much improved. Don't forget, current X5 debuted as 2007 model so it is a big step back.

Would definitely try out the Cayenne. Any of them. If you can swallow the price, they are absolutely wonderful. And the diesel Cayenne is excellent as well if she wants to keep driving with the derv as fuel.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-08-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
GL is a freaking massive vehicle. Really, the X5 is comparable to the ML, despite having a quasi third row.
I guess it's all relative. My biggest concern with getting a GL is its too small...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
I guess it's all relative. My biggest concern with getting a GL is its too small...

Just goes to show, everything in life is relative!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Now I'm curious to know Mrs D's review on the Cayenne GTS. Are you planning to take one for a spin? If so, check if they have one without Servotronic. Btw the Raptor is one badass truck, I wish they made it in SUV version. I'm not a fan of diesels for sporty driving but if they made a Raptor SUV with a big honking Cummins diesel it would be a really fun adventure ride.
We were supposed to visit Porsche & Audi today, but the temperature is supposed to be in the 60s today, so the tandem is already on the roof of my car and we'll be heading to Maryland's Eastern shore for a ride. She asked about the X5 5.0 this morning, so I'll get her to try one of those out. I'm also thinking about Need's advice and waiting to see what the new X5 will be like.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
You should try driving a 650 with the M sport package. There is no comparing the exhausts, the M is just plain mean. And it gets really exciting if you put it in sport and slide the shifter over to DS. I can't keep gas in the tank it sounds so good...

Which did you prefer, the GL or the X if you had to choose one? Did you test the gl350?
The 650xi that drove was an MSport. My Dinan exhaust is much more aggressive. If I were to get the 650, I might swap out my Dinan exhaust and put it on the 650.

I'm leaning towards the X5 due to it's sportiness, but I may need to wait to see how the GL550 with curve assist and the off-road package feel. I regretted not getting a more sporty set-up in my last GL.

Quote:
It certain felt like the new GL is larger than the old one, but that's what I liked about it - it was the smallest full-szie SUV on the market. The interior of the GL is much improved.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Do you have 5 kids or something?

If a GL is too small, get a minivan.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Do you have 5 kids or something?

If a GL is too small, get a minivan.
Why a minivan?
Get a schoolbus!