Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,019
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Not to hijack this very important shopping thread but what should have been an in and out 1 hour tune job, turned into "keep the loaner we don't know when it'll be ready"

They're saying their Dinan software is incompatible with the "newer" software on my car so no idea... At this point I just want this pos 328i gone
No worries BMW of Silver Spring does good work - they will fix it!
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm guessing that with the 650xi we're talking GT-R money. Just thought I throw that semi-decent contestant in there if AWD, power, speed and coupe are items on the wanted list... There's pretty much nothing on 4 wheels that will merge before you in this car, no worries with S6s etc.

We choose our new SUV since it best fulfilled are wants and needs but I'll also admit that after so many BMWs we are looking forward to something totally different in looks and feel inside and out. This car will feel all "new" to us which is also kind of fun, an X5 would be almost too familiar to get that all new feel but if we thought it was the better car for us we would still have chosen it. And the M3 isn't going anywhere soon so we will still get our daily BMW fix.
Ahh yes, Godzilla. That car is a beast, but I'm in the mood for more of a Gran Tourer. I really liked it when I drove the sixer, everything was exactly where it is in my five, but my BMW history isn't that long.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
No worries BMW of Silver Spring does good work - they will fix it!
I hope lol I was shocked they didn't already know I figured dunderhi alone had given them enough work they could do anything Dinan related in their sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Ahh yes, Godzilla. That car is a beast, but I'm in the mood for more of a Gran Tourer. I really liked it when I drove the sixer, everything was exactly where it is in my five, but my BMW history isn't that long.
Ever think X6 50i/m unique still don't see many? I really loved the TV(torque vectoring) we were so close to getting that over the 550i, I mean you can really throw it around like you should be able to with all awds
... Its way better than x5



They have a great carbon x6m at bmw rockville.

http://www.bmwrockville.com/new/BMW/...ac2dbd24f2.htm

I love the colors... Bet you could get a smoking deal (I think they've had it for awhile)


Also as far as the M/50i goes it won't feel like nuts fast unless (or at least when we drove'm they didn't) you make it, by that I mean if Mrs. D just wants to cruise down to Potomac for some five guys and listen to party in the usa she won't feel like she's in a 555hp beast unless she wants too

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-11-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Ahh yes, Godzilla. That car is a beast, but I'm in the mood for more of a Gran Tourer. I really liked it when I drove the sixer, everything was exactly where it is in my five, but my BMW history isn't that long.
Got it, and yes the GT-R truly is a beast. Just look what it does to the M5 in this comparo...
( But I understand if the low-rent interior is a turn-off if you are looking for a GT )


Last edited by solstice; 12-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Got it, and yes the GT-R it truly is a beast. Just look what it does to the M5 in this comparo...
( But I understand if the low-rent interior is a turn-off if you are looking for a GT )
lol oh my... Some of the modded 335i videos vs. gt-rs looked better than that
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
lol oh my... Some of the modded 335i videos vs. gt-rs looked better than that
Yeah, the owners like to embarrass M cars. I've had a few lining up at the stop lights hoping I would bite. Unfortunately for them I don't do street racing and if I was I would not be stupid enough to take one of these missiles on. It's amazing to see them take off though.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Guy her in Houston just got an M5 and an X5M for his wife. Now that's living!

Still, try the Cayenne diesel and let me know what you think.

Also, maybe wait for the E63 / CLS63 to become AWD next year?
Sounds lke a nice combo. Mrs D say's she tired of having the use the diesel pump and wants a gasser.. and she's willing to drop down to 17mpgs for the convenience.

As Sophisto said earlier, we are pretty much pregnant with the idea of buying a car or two, so waiting for new models to arrive isn't our first choice. We did stop by a different Benz dealer this evening, but they didn't have any GLs with the options we wanted, so we crossed the street and drove the X5 5.0. The power was decent, although Mrs D would have preferred it to hit at a lower rpm like her diesel. I think a X5 5.0 with the M Power option (440hp) might work out okay, but we made an appointment to test drive a loaded X5M tomorrow night to see how see if an SUV with similiar performance numbers as my car will be irresistible.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
They have a great carbon x6m at bmw rockville.

http://www.bmwrockville.com/new/BMW/...ac2dbd24f2.htm

I love the colors... Bet you could get a smoking deal (I think they've had it for awhile)
We actually talked about the X6 for the first time this evening. The X6's looks tend to be polarizing, but we are both okay with it. We just aren't sure if we want a "utility vehicle" with 20% less utility.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
We actually talked about the X6 for the first time this evening. The X6's looks tend to be polarizing, but we are both okay with it. We just aren't sure if we want a "utility vehicle" with 20% less utility.
When you see the trunk you'll change your mind we felt the same way and seeing it in person just doesn't do it justice... Just take it out and push it around the corners and really see how amazing it is compared to the x5 awd (the x5m is still the only other car I think they're doing it on). Also the x5m still at least in my op feels top heavy.

Also if you can find a 2012 or Dinan software works you'll be up over 600hp

Side view cameras were a must we had a b* of a time trying to park it in a spot when the lot was full, but I know I felt like it was something that could be adjusted too given the benefits it provided.


Carbon Black Metallic
Bamboo Beige Perforated Full Merino Leather
Red brown grained wood trim
Active ventilated seat package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Sound Package
Rear Climate Package
20" Light alloy Double-spoke wheels style 300M-with performance run-flat tires$0
Comfort Access keyless entry
Nappa Leather Dashboard and Center Console
Soft-close automatic doors
BMW Apps
Full LED Lights
Side-view camera
Space-saver spare

Tell Mrs. D I did all the work with the above you just need to go cut the check

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
When you see the trunk you'll change your mind we felt the same way and seeing it in person just doesn't do it justice... Just take it out and push it around the corners and really see how amazing it is compared to the x5 awd (the x5m is still the only other car I think they're doing it on). Also the x5m still at least in my op feels top heavy.

Also if you can find a 2012 or Dinan software works you'll be up over 600hp

Side view cameras were a must we had a b* of a time trying to park it in a spot when the lot was full, but I know I felt like it was something that could be adjusted too given the benefits it provided.


Carbon Black Metallic
Bamboo Beige Perforated Full Merino Leather
Red brown grained wood trim
Active ventilated seat package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Sound Package
Rear Climate Package
20" Light alloy Double-spoke wheels style 300M-with performance run-flat tires$0
Comfort Access keyless entry
Nappa Leather Dashboard and Center Console
Soft-close automatic doors
BMW Apps
Full LED Lights
Side-view camera
Space-saver spare

Tell Mrs. D I did all the work with the above you just need to go cut the check
Nappa Leather Dashboard and Center Console! What are trying to do - spoil her?

I'll make sure she watches out for top-heaviness tomorrow night when she does her usual Gees test in the traffic circle on the test drive loop. BMW of SS has an X6M, so we may need to do a comparison test.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Nappa Leather Dashboard and Center Console! What are trying to do - spoil her? .
Of course not! Thats why you'll let her drive it over to me and she can have this green 2011 328i rwd loaner and I'll cut a check to silver spring... Sounds like a win to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I'll make sure she watches out for top-heaviness tomorrow night when she does her usual Gees test in the traffic circle on the test drive loop. BMW of SS has an X6M, so we may need to do a comparison test.
Not may MUST do a comparo

If she's real tall or your tall watch getting in and out (its got an odd angle but it didn't bother me and I'm about 6'1)

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 PM
bm323 bm323 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: singapore
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 477
Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Got it, and yes the GT-R truly is a beast. Just look what it does to the M5 in this comparo...
( But I understand if the low-rent interior is a turn-off if you are looking for a GT )
You mean Dunderhi enjoys driving a coin 2 seater car game machine (when you don't)?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,042
Mein Auto: F11 530D
Yo guys, this is going in the wrong direction very fast.
Maybe the interior of a X6 is to your liking, but I can stand the compromise for a X5 M, but any X6 is out of the question.
We can not ask the MRS to drive her car solely at night.
And we can not have it that other people will see her entering or leaving the BMW monster of ugliness.
I have a solution how to repair this, first a X sixer is not large enough for posh tandem transport and these transports are forbidden in cars with nappa dash and/or nappa center consoles.
So skip this horrible thought for now and forever.
Can we please get to the configuration of the GT now?
I configured one in individual styling yesterday, looks great! I just put in a couple of needed goodies, I like the car a lot!
On the Dutch site this builded a car without any cash backs and with taxes of €156890, or $ 203981 (ouch).
So I am confinced we 'll have to throw in all the cash saving programs we can find.
Or maybe think a bit in Stealths direction, a simple M5 seems depreciation wise (and drive wise, this sixer is heavy man) tempting.

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-12-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Yo guys, this is going in the wrong direction very fast.
Maybe the interior of a X6 is to your liking, but I can stand the compromise for a X5 M, but any X6 is out of the question.
We can not ask the MRS to drive her car solely at night.
And we can not have it that other people will see her entering or leaving the BMW moster of ugliness.
Moving away from the personal taste side, have you actually driven one above the 35i? Especially the x6m? If so you'd sing a very different tune It has its flaws in utility, and design, but its an amazing, unique drive (I still might see 5 a month), and is a good change of pace, and at the very least WORTH looking at, and while I'd hope he'd buy it to appease me I think its reasonable if Mrs. D bumps her head getting out after an insanely good test drive and says "Nope" they'll have no problems moving on.

*Actually the GT-R is a great comparison it gets knocks for looks, being a nissan, but once your inside it speaks for itself, this car is no different (although if your just looking at it from numbers nothing tops Godzilla lol)

If you want to impress car nerds (like me) and numbers junkies = GT-R
If you want Mrs. D to pull out of the parking lot at Neiman and Saks after a long day of shopping getting looks from the other ladies = x6m, GC, Panamera

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-12-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,042
Mein Auto: F11 530D
Oh my!

De BMW M6 is er inmiddels al als coupé en als cabriolet, maar de Gran Coupé stond nog met lege handen. Deze officiële foto's tonen nu definitief dat BMW dit onrecht verleden tijd maakt.

De M6 Gran Coupé onderscheidt zich van z'n niet M-broertjes door grotere remmen, lichtmetaal met een grotere diameter, uitgeklopte wielkasten, sideskirts en andere buitenspiegels.
De techniek is natuurlijk bekend uit de andere versies van de M6. Het kloppend hart van de snelste Gran Coupé is een 4,4-liter V8 met tweeturbo's en een vermogen van 560 pk. Het maximumkoppel is 680 Nm. Schakelen gaat met een zeventrapsautomaat.
Waar het publieksdebuut van de M6 Gran Coupé plaatsvindt, is nog niet honderd procent zeker. De NAIAS in Detroit lijkt het meest waarschijnlijk, die is immers halverwege januari. De Autosalon van Genève (maart) en de Autoshow van Sjanghai (april) zijn ook opties. De marktintroductie volgt medio 2013.

You'll figure it out!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,042
Mein Auto: F11 530D
At ST,
overhere the shopping blonds in the Chelsea tractors are ridiculed on.
But that is overhere, I know, let it go.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,895
Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Guy her in Houston just got an M5 and an X5M for his wife. Now that's living!

Still, try the Cayenne diesel and let me know what you think.

Also, maybe wait for the E63 / CLS63 to become AWD next year?
The M5 and x5M was my original plan. The M5 got shot down after I broke down the gas/tires/maintainance costs of driving that 30k miles a year. The better half drives less than 10k miles a year so we figured hey lets get her a really cool SUV. After comparing the Cayenne, ML 63, Range Rover Supercharged, x6M and x5M the x5M won easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Sounds lke a nice combo. Mrs D say's she tired of having the use the diesel pump and wants a gasser.. and she's willing to drop down to 17mpgs for the convenience.

As Sophisto said earlier, we are pretty much pregnant with the idea of buying a car or two, so waiting for new models to arrive isn't our first choice. We did stop by a different Benz dealer this evening, but they didn't have any GLs with the options we wanted, so we crossed the street and drove the X5 5.0. The power was decent, although Mrs D would have preferred it to hit at a lower rpm like her diesel. I think a X5 5.0 with the M Power option (440hp) might work out okay, but we made an appointment to test drive a loaded X5M tomorrow night to see how see if an SUV with similiar performance numbers as my car will be irresistible.
Ok, coming from a 335d actually is making a gasser a harder choice for the wife. She wants something that pulls off the line like the 335d and we all know nothing pulls off the line like the 335d. The only SUV that had that kind of low end grunt was the x5M/x6M. We did try the 5.0 with M performance and, while it is more than adequate, it did not convey that special feeling that the x5M conveys. Also, the M sport suspension is not anywhere near as dialed in as the x5M suspension. The x5M and x6M (for super terp) have the same T.V. system and both drive the same IMHO. The benefit of the x5M is the larger rear hatch area and lower sticker price. The x6M the way I wanted it was 4k more than the x5M and offers less practicality. We thought the x5M fit the bill perfectly for our needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
We actually talked about the X6 for the first time this evening. The X6's looks tend to be polarizing, but we are both okay with it. We just aren't sure if we want a "utility vehicle" with 20% less utility.
This is exactly why we went with the x5M. If you are going to buy an SUV get the one that actually gives you the utility you need. The x6M's rear hatch area is significantly smaller (I measured it) and that sloping hatch door cuts off a ton of storage space. We would still need a Thule roof bin with the x5M when we travel.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Nappa Leather Dashboard and Center Console! What are trying to do - spoil her?

I'll make sure she watches out for top-heaviness tomorrow night when she does her usual Gees test in the traffic circle on the test drive loop. BMW of SS has an X6M, so we may need to do a comparison test.
I did not get the top heavy feeling at all with the x5M. I do agree with super terp that it feels a bit top heavy in 5.0 trim with m sport or adaptive drive. As for nappa leather dash and center console. Beware that many of the color options mandate that you go with full leather trim. I specifically did not want full leather because I use my car and the full leather means I have to be more careful with it. As you know, I debated mugello red and the fact that mugello red required full leather was a turn off. The only colors that do not require full leather are silverstone, bamboo and black.
__________________
~ 14 435 My daily beater
~ 14 x3 35i Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (17)

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 12-12-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
The X5M is very nice but it's also close to 5400 lbs and will get you about 15 mpg in mixed driving with a 12/17 rating. The Cayenne GTS is 800 lbs lighter and should give you close to 20 mpg mixed with it's 15/23 rating. Maybe 25 mpg with Mr D's fuelly magic driving style. I would at least test the Pepper since it has some significant number advantages to the X5M even if it's not power and straight line acceleration. Both are very nice SUVs.

Last edited by solstice; 12-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,895
Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The X5M is very nice but it's also close to 5400 lbs and will get you about 15 mpg in mixed driving with a 12/17 rating. The Cayenne GTS is 800 lbs lighter and should give you close to 20 mpg mixed with it's 15/23 rating. Maybe 25 mpg with Mr D's fuelly magic driving style. I would at least test the Pepper since it has some significant number advantages to the X5M even if it's not power and straight line acceleration. Both are very nice SUVs.
You make a very good observation. The Cayenne GTS is a very nice SUV and it came in second for us. The x5M is a pig on gas and we expect that hence why I am not driving it and the wife is driving it.
__________________
~ 14 435 My daily beater
~ 14 x3 35i Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (17)
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,042
Mein Auto: F11 530D
We seem to keep on talking tractors, nobody starts on D's car.
Lets start by choosing the best color, I like the individual blue.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Congrats to the X5M Alpine! Sorry to hear that the M5 didn't pan out for you. I understand that it is a dream car for you but with 30k annual miles i think you are doing the right choice. With that level of miles I would find the 335d very tempting. Good mileage, good handling, good power and limited cost of ownership. You haven't considered keeping the 335d for the majority of your commute, trade the F10 for the X5M and get yourself a real sports car for a day or two commuting a week plus weekends?
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 PM
getz's Avatar
getz getz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in a van down by the river
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,635
Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
I love the concern over fuel costs despite shopping cars in a segment consisting of near $100,000 choices.
__________________


Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post
I love the concern over fuel costs despite shopping cars in a segment consisting of near $100,000 choices.
It's not just the cost it's the range as well. Some don't like to go to the gas station once a week or more and wait for 20 gallons to load. If it's worth it compared to the alternatives why not but it doesn't hurt to check out the more efficient competitors to find out. And as much, much lighter more fuel efficient SUVs with similar performance will hit the market the older heavier gas hogs could see their resale value impacted.

Last edited by solstice; 12-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
getz's Avatar
getz getz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in a van down by the river
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,635
Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It's not just the cost it's the range as well. Some don't like to go to the gas station once a week or more and wait for 20 gallons to load. If it's worth it compared to the alternatives why not but it doesn't hurt to check out the more efficient competitors to find out. And as much, much lighter more fuel efficient SUVs with similar performance will hit the market the older heavier gas hogs could see their resale value impacted.

Well, then I eagerly await the next forum members purchase of a Tesla S as the X5M gets about 13 mpg in combined driving. You can have big and fast, but big, fast, and efficient is still somewhat of a mythical beast. My concern with the X5M is that with the new model coming out and the niche category the M model fills, it will likely have a limited buyer pool. There are already low mileage X5Ms (2011 models) going for upper 50s at auction, and low to mid 60s retail (30k depreciation in less than 2 model years). That is steep. I hope they are discounting the new ones aggressively. When I bought my Z4M coupe it was in a similar flux, new model coming out, etc., and I received 15 grand off MSRP.
__________________


Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500

Last edited by getz; 12-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Sigh... Still no update on my car. I HATE THE 328i it is the worst ever!!!

1 hour software update has turned into at least a 4 day ordeal!!!!

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-12-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms