Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Hah, I just finished configuring a X5M.
Did I call that a tractor, I must have been mistaken.
It is more of a moneypit.
Nicely equiped, it came, including Dutch taxes, at 206K and some euros.
Lets say 280000 dollars.
Now we are talking!
Depreciation wise that is.
At 15k miles a year what will be the all in owners cost of that car be for the first three years?
I mean you need something to do your shopping in and transport your bike with?
Don't you?

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-12-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Time to pack your bags Sophisto, now when pot is legal here there aren't any more excuses to pay those dutch prices...
Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Thnx for the invitation, I'll configure the same car in France, overthere they do not penalise these cars as in the lowlands, I'll be just a sec.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Okay in France a very well equiped X5 M (I even took Hifi Pro) with four years maintenance will set you back 150k euro, lets say .2 mil dollars.
I like the food overthere, maybe ....
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Day...I don't know, let's say 7 of the quest for new wheels. We had a 6:30 appointment to drive a new off-the-truck X5M that they needed to prepped for the test drive. At 6:30 we were arriving at the dealership when our CA called me and stated the X5M wouldn't be ready for the test drive. Mrs. D started grilling him about when he knew that the truck wouldn't be ready and why he didn't call us earlier. He then claimed he didn't know we had an appointment at 6:30. Apparently it was a coincidence that he called us at 6:30. I hate dealing with CAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Ok, coming from a 335d actually is making a gasser a harder choice for the wife. She wants something that pulls off the line like the 335d and we all know nothing pulls off the line like the 335d. The only SUV that had that kind of low end grunt was the x5M/x6M. We did try the 5.0 with M performance and, while it is more than adequate, it did not convey that special feeling that the x5M conveys. Also, the M sport suspension is not anywhere near as dialed in as the x5M suspension. The x5M and x6M (for super terp) have the same T.V. system and both drive the same IMHO. The benefit of the x5M is the larger rear hatch area and lower sticker price. The x6M the way I wanted it was 4k more than the x5M and offers less practicality. We thought the x5M fit the bill perfectly for our needs.
Yes, the 335d's torque is addicting. Mrs D started to waiver on the idea of the X5M over the X5 5.0 M Power, but I'll share your comments. Now only if we could find a competent CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
if Mrs. D bumps her head getting out after an insanely good test drive and says "Nope" they'll have no problems moving on.
If Mrs D hits her head on the X6, then it's likely that I would already be decapitated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The X5M is very nice but it's also close to 5400 lbs and will get you about 15 mpg in mixed driving with a 12/17 rating. The Cayenne GTS is 800 lbs lighter and should give you close to 20 mpg mixed with it's 15/23 rating. Maybe 25 mpg with Mr D's fuelly magic driving style. I would at least test the Pepper since it has some significant number advantages to the X5M even if it's not power and straight line acceleration. Both are very nice SUVs.
She may work some fuelly magic, but I haven't been able to get her interested in the pepper. Maybe, if trick her into driving a turbo pepper, she'll overlook the sticker price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
We seem to keep on talking tractors, nobody starts on D's car.
Lets start by choosing the best color, I like the individual blue.
Hey our New Holland is blue, so we really don't need another blue tractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post
I love the concern over fuel costs despite shopping cars in a segment consisting of near $100,000 choices.
As Solstice said, it's not the mpgs as much as it's the frequency of the gas station visits. For an X5M, BMW offers a trailer hitch as an accessory, to which we can tow a 400 gallon fuel tank.

Quote:
Sigh... Still no update on my car. I HATE THE 328i it is the worst ever!!!

1 hour software update has turned into at least a 4 day ordeal!!!!
They only took them 10 tens days to try to fix my NightVision...which still doesn't work. At least I had an X5 loaner. Look on the bright side, if you had an independent do your Dinan, you would be paying for a rental car yourself.

Quote:
Hah, I just finished configuring a X5M.
Did I call that a tractor, I must have been mistaken.
It is more of a moneypit.
Nicely equiped, it came, including Dutch taxes, at 206K and some euros.
Lets say 280000 dollars.
Holy crap!!! Now I know a money pit looks like in the Nederlands.

Quote:
Time to pack your bags Sophisto, now when pot is legal here there aren't any more excuses to pay those dutch prices...
Hey, anyone who knows to keep right while driving is certainly welcome in my book.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
They only took them 10 tens days to try to fix my NightVision...which still doesn't work. At least I had an X5 loaner. Look on the bright side, if you had an independent do your Dinan, you would be paying for a rental car yourself.
I'd have said I don't want the software so put it back to normal I've got finals fri, sat, mon I just know I'm going to get a call at 4pm tomorrow I'm a big dummy being an impulse shopper

Let us know how the X6M drive goes

2 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes and counting

Dinan website Labor Hours 1

WOW MY CAR WILL BE A HOSTAGE THROUGH THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I'm really glad I didn't go in buying Oil Coolers, and all the other fixings. thats why you start out small ladies and gentleman see how things go with limited invested.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-13-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM

So to put some fire on the wood.
Lets say with a budget of 150k in dollars.
One utilitarian and one toy BMW.
What to get?
A X5 and a Z4
A 535 Touring and a 3 series vert
Or a X5 M, 2 years old and a complementary six series vert?
Diffificult, difficult....
I absolutely love the versatile F11 and enjoy the VW GTI once and awhile.
But have to admit the Lada Niva I use in the woods is something either very classy (for the connaisseurs) but really just rubbish as a car.
The worst actually.
Gets me home out off the French wilderness all the time though...
And with these three cars I stay well below the 130k.
What am I missing?
A nappa leather dash, for sure!

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-13-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
So to put some fire on the wood.
Lets say with a budget of 150k in dollars.
One utilitarian and one toy BMW.
What to get?
A X5 and a Z4
A 535 Touring and a 3 series vert
Or a X5 M, 2 years old and a complementary six series vert?
Diffificult, difficult....
I absolutely love the versatile F11 and enjoy the VW GTI once and awhile.
But have to admit the Lada Niva I use in the woods is something either very classy (for the connaisseurs) but really just rubbish as a car.
The worst actually.
Gets me home out off the French wilderness all the time though...
And with these three cars I stay well below the 130k.
What am I missing?
A nappa leather dash, for sure!
Yes, we are looking for the ideal car combo. Lucky for us, Ladas aren't sold here.

Given the current front-runners (X5M & 650xi) are eack $103k and since BMW is offering close to $10k in incentives and another $16k could be negotiated, the number comes to $180k. Now Porsche fans, Mrs D may not appreciate it if you say I should get a 911 Turbo S and let Mrs D keep driving her 335d. Although... maybe she could get the 911 Turbo S and I could drive the 335d. Well, it wouldn't be that bad, since this evening she a accused of creating a "socially unacceptable amount of wheel spin" while driving her diesel. At least she understands why I normally drive an AWD.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, we are looking for the ideal car combo. Lucky for us, Ladas aren't sold here.

Given the current front-runners (X5M & 650xi) are eack $103k and since BMW is offering close to $10k in incentives and another $16k could be negotiated, the number comes to $180k. Now Porsche fans, Mrs D may not appreciate it if you say I should get a 911 Turbo S and let Mrs D keep driving her 335d. Although... maybe she could get the 911 Turbo S and I could drive the 335d. Well, it wouldn't be that bad, since this evening she a accused of creating a "socially unacceptable amount of wheel spin" while driving her diesel. At least she understands why I normally drive an AWD.
Lol if you are being serious wrap up the 911 turbo s thing is a monster
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM

I like Porsche but 180k is too much for a 911. Invoice for a 458 Italia is $195k. I'd save up to whatever the difference in purchase price might be. I'm very hopeful that I'll own a new 911 one day but I think the 458 or it's successors will remain a lifelong dream. I'm ok with that but if I had a chance to get into one without sacrificing my responsibilities as a family man I'd take it even if I had to drive a 128i while my wife commutes in the Ferrari.

Last edited by solstice; 12-14-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:

Compared to us in Europe you are in car buyers paradise.
The foremost important thing is to not make the fault of stepping back in drivability.
The E90 is a very good driving car, any bigger machine will drive as a bigger one.
Did you really check out the driving capacities of the quite heavy showboat sixer?
I assume your current car being by far the better drivers car.
You will get used very swift to the appearance of the cars, but if they drive sub par you will not going to like them for a long time.....
With the P car and the 335d you are out of the woods for the quite useless tractor wish.
But compared to a M5 a 911 seems somewahat on the other side of usability as a X5.
There is still quite some homework to do so it seems, happily it is a buyers market!

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-14-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I like Porsche but 180k is too much for a 911. Invoice for a 458 Italia is $195k. I'd save up to whatever the difference in purchase price might be. I'm very hopeful that I'll own a new 911 one day but I think the 458 or it's successors will remain a lifelong dream. I'm ok with that but if I had a chance to get into one without sacrificing my responsibilities as a family man I'd take it even if I had to drive a 128i while my wife commutes in the Ferrari.
I always was in the impression that the Italian cars problem is not the purchase price but the cost of ownership when you actually use the car for driving....
Which seems to be the otherway around for the 911.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: Space Grey 550i M Sport
Quote:
I always was in the impression that the Italian cars problem is not the purchase price but the cost of ownership when you actually use the car for driving....
Which seems to be the otherway around for the 911.
Bingo!

Both are great cars, but the cost of ownership for a Ferrari can be on the extreme side when compared to a 911.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbiker View Post
Bingo!

Both are great cars, but the cost of ownership for a Ferrari can be on the extreme side when compared to a 911.
With new cars under warranty the difference should be limited to scheduled maintenance and depreciation. The 458 might run you an extra $20k or so in scheduled maintenance over the first years mainly due to the cost of the clutch. Just add it to the calculation of purchase price. The 458 is more expensive but it's a true exotic with no substitute and imo worth it while a 180k 911 Turbo S is not, mainly since you can get a very good 911 for just over 100k.

Last edited by solstice; 12-14-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
With new cars under warranty the difference should be limited to scheduled maintenance and depreciation. The 458 might run you an extra $20k or so in scheduled maintenance over the first years mainly due to the cost of the clutch. Just add it to the calculation of purchase price. The 458 is more expensive but it's a true exotic with no substitute and imo worth it while a 180k 911 is not, mainly since you can get a very good one for just over 100k.
Ferrari is now offering a 10 year warranty and including a ridiculous amount of scheduled maintenance. Apparently they got tired of lightly used cars hitting the market having no work done to them because of the eye watering service costs. And they truly can be eye watering.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Ferrari is now offering a 10 year warranty and including a ridiculous amount of scheduled maintenance. Apparently they got tired of lightly used cars hitting the market having no work done to them because of the eye watering service costs. And they truly can be eye watering.
Really cool! Do you have any articles about it... I'd love to read'm.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 AM

Things quickly get into another world when discussing exotics. The $103k X5M and 650xi with their included free maintenance suddenly seem like very modest and responsible purchases...
Good to see though that Ferraris might no longer only be for the people who don't ask and don't care what cost of owership is. The "If you have to ask you can't afford it rule".
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Really cool! Do you have any articles about it... I'd love to read'm.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...intenance.html
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM

From family hauling Mercedeses, via Minivans to Ferraris.
I like this thread.
It started of with a Z4 wish by Dunder.
Long forgotten, that topic, now we are talking expensive cars.
Well, next to a Ferrari, the BMW 650 GC will always look a little pale.
So what's next?
I stand by my 530D Touring.

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Thanks! Wow what an awesome deal! They don't even cap how much you drive (as long as its in the 7 year period or at least thats how I read it )

My poor, poor car... As of today I give Dinan

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-14-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Wow what an awesome deal! They don't even cap how much you drive (as long as its in the 7 year period or at least thats how I read it )

Believing in Italian financial propositions?
These people own a 1000 miljard euro.
Which equals sometihg like 1500 000 000 000 dollar.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Believing in Italian financial propositions?
These people own a 1000 miljard euro.
Which equals sometihg like 1500 000 000 000 dollar.
I didn't catch that lol sorry
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Things quickly get into another world when discussing exotics. The $103k X5M and 650xi with their included free maintenance suddenly seem like very modest and responsible purchases...
Thanks, that's what I needed to seal the deal!

Unfortunately, Mrs D said she really liked look of a Viper SRT she saw on the road today. She said she stared so hard at the car, the guy probably thought she was flirting with him.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
From family hauling Mercedeses, via Minivans to Ferraris.
I like this thread.
It started of with a Z4 wish by Dunder.
Long forgotten, that topic, now we are talking expensive cars.
Well, next to a Ferrari, the BMW 650 GC will always look a little pale.
So what's next?
I stand by my 530D Touring.
I checked out the Z4 and it is a tight fit for a big guy like me. I assume a Ferrari would be even a tighter fit, but I would be willing to make an exception.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
I had Stage 1, then Stage 2, then Stage 3, and then Stage 3 installed again, and it never took more than a day. I wonder what's really going on.