Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2002, 325XI
Help So it was not the CCV or Oil seperator.

Actually it was the oil separator only problem is that now that it has changed some weird stuff started happening.

I drive a 2002 325XI 215,000KM or 134,000 miles. Recently I noticed I was using an excessive amount of oil. Did some investigation and decided to change the oil separator as a potential solution to the oil problem.

It took 3 days to get it changed. Don't ask me why?
However since the change it has not been running the way it did prior to changing the CCV.

The car is running rough when left to idle too long. It will start as normal run smoothly then the oil light will come on briefly then it start missing or sputtering and can not attain speeds above 50 km per hour.. If I pullover shut off the car and re-start. It will run smoothly again until I reach a stoplight, then the car has to idle for a while. The oil light will come on, then go off, start running rough, then start sputtering or missing and i either have to pullover shut off and restart for it to run smoothly or drive at 50km per hr regardless of how much gas I give her.

To me it feels like a couple of cylinders may not be firing when this happening. Anyone have an idea what could be the problem?

Last edited by carl4; 12-06-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Codes ???

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Actually I don't know. This might sound silly but how do I get those. Do I need a scanner or do I peel back the floor mat and their will be a light flashing. This is my first BMW and only own it for 4 months.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl4 View Post
Actually I don't know. This might sound silly but how do I get those. Do I need a scanner or do I peel back the floor mat and their will be a light flashing. This is my first BMW and only own it for 4 months.
There`s a small trap door in the underside of the dash, just below the steering column. Pop it open, and pull the umbilical cord out....now, plug that cord into an OBD II scanner.

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
There`s a small trap door in the underside of the dash, just below the steering column. Pop it open, and pull the umbilical cord out....now, plug that cord into an OBD II scanner.
Thanks, I will do that. MY buddy has a scanner or I can go to a local auto-parts store and get it scanned.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM

Oh one thing though they are no chk engine light on, so I don't think they are any codes to download.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
The car will often store codes even if there is no warning light on, particularly if its running as poorly as you describe. Still worth scanning ...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
how do I get those
- Cheapest CAN OBDII scanner on the net that reads DTCs, pending codes, & clears codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
The car will often store codes
+1. The car will store pending codes a couple of time before it triggers the yellow warning light.

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 - 323i
Quote:
Actually it was the oil separator only problem is that now that it has changed some weird stuff started happening.

I drive a 2002 325XI 215,000KM or 134,000 miles. Recently I noticed I was using an excessive amount of oil. Did some investigation and decided to change the oil separator as a potential solution to the oil problem.

It took 3 days to get it changed. Don't ask me why?
However since the change it has not been running the way it did prior to changing the CCV.

The car is running rough when left to idle too long. It will start as normal run smoothly then the oil light will come on briefly then it start missing or sputtering and can not attain speeds above 50 km per hour.. If I pullover shut off the car and re-start. It will run smoothly again until I reach a stoplight, then the car has to idle for a while. The oil light will come on, then go off, start running rough, then start sputtering or missing and i either have to pullover shut off and restart for it to run smoothly or drive at 50km per hr regardless of how much gas I give her.

To me it feels like a couple of cylinders may not be firing when this happening. Anyone have an idea what could be the problem?
Carl4, I feel your pain. I had the same problem (long story) and took it to the Indy last week and he temporarily swap the MAF and changed the sparkplugs (although I changed the Plugs, oil separator and the valve cover gasket in less than a year ago - I did these because of the same symptoms I had months ago - did flash the computer (DME?)as well). He asked me to buy the part and returned his when I replaced mine (I am grateful for that). These seem to stop the bleeding for time being but I am experiencing a lot of gas consumption (I used to get 19.3 avg city now only (14.6). The car feels/sounds like it is on "overdrive". I will take it back again next weekend.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post
). The car feels/sounds like it is on "overdrive". .
You mean the engine is running slower than normal ?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 - 323i
Yes and it feels like it is in differnt gear than it should be (323 auto). I used the term "overdrive" because of my old car that used to have a button for overdrive and used it when it snows (lower gear?).
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post
Carl4, I feel your pain. I had the same problem (long story) and took it to the Indy last week and he temporarily swap the MAF and changed the sparkplugs (although I changed the Plugs, oil separator and the valve cover gasket in less than a year ago - I did these because of the same symptoms I had months ago - did flash the computer (DME?)as well). He asked me to buy the part and returned his when I replaced mine (I am grateful for that). These seem to stop the bleeding for time being but I am experiencing a lot of gas consumption (I used to get 19.3 avg city now only (14.6). The car feels/sounds like it is on "overdrive". I will take it back again next weekend.
Funny you would say that about fuel consumption. Cuz I do feel like I am using more gas than usual. I thought about changing the MAF but have not got around to doing it yet.

I just want to make sure all was done correctly with changing the oil separator so the guy is going to re-check.

He also confirmed that cylinders 2 and 4 are misfiring but that has not brought us any closer to a solution.

Let me know what happens when you take it back.

Last edited by carl4; 12-06-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added more info