Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: Volkswagon CC R line
New Guy: Need Opinion

Hi guys, Just need some opinions, but before i get into the whole what do i do or get, Ill be honest and say right off the bat i have never owned or even driven a BMW until recently on a test drive. Ive owned quite a few cars, and even know still have a few that i really like. I have 2012 CC, an 2002 IS300, 1991 Supra, and just recently got out of a 2008 A4, but this damn 335i has me hooked, its not as fancy as the CC with all the little gadgets, its not as plush as the IS300 and the A4 but it drives amazing and looks great. So i found the color combo and miles with in my range unfourtunately its not in the price range, were off about 1500 - 800 minimum.

Its a 2008 335i w/ 58k 3 owners as follow
1st 4 yrs 2 months
2nd 6 months
3rd 2 months for a 2013 Volvo

No accidents on file, body looks straight no apparent collisions.

Body is great condition aside from a few marks, but no dents or dings on the metal panels.

Has the sport package and winter package, gray with red interior 6 spd a/t / nav / all the things most 335i comes with but they are asking 25,9xx plus TTF's.

So in addition to is it worth it or what should i be paying for it, becuase i hav e never owned a BMW what should i be looking for, what should i be worried about down the road, what are the 335s known for - cant think of any other questions, but all help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cookie.MONSTER; 12-05-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie.MONSTER View Post
Hi guys, Just need some opinions, but before i get into the whole what do i do or get, Ill be honest and say right off the bat i have never owned or even driven a BMW until recently on a test drive. Ive owned quite a few cars, and even know still have a few that i really like. I have 2012 CC, an 2002 IS300, 1991 Supra, and just recently got out of a 2008 A4, but this damn 335i has me hooked, its not as fancy as the CC with all the little gadgets, its not as plush as the IS300 and the A4 but it drives amazing and looks great. So i found the color combo and miles with in my range unfourtunately its not in the price range, were off about 1500 - 800 minimum.

Its a 2008 335i w/ 58k 3 owners as follow
1st 4 yrs 2 months
2nd 6 months
3rd 2 months for a 2013 Volvo

No accidents on file, body looks straight no apparent collisions.

Body is great condition aside from a few marks, but no dents or dings on the metal panels.

Has the sport package and winter package, gray with red interior 6 spd a/t / nav / all the things most 335i comes with but they are asking 25,9xx plus TTF's.

So in addition to is it worth it or what should i be paying for it, becuase i hav e never owned a BMW what should i be looking for, what should i be worried about down the road, what are the 335s known for - cant think of any other questions, but all help is greatly appreciated.

Buy!

Forget it!

Have you done a pre-purchase inspection!

We can't see your car so can't possibly know your answer!

An Internet forum might not be the optimum place to solicit buying decisions!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Whats a prepurchase inspection? edmunds says i should be paying a little around 1200 less but the dealre wont ahve it lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
smokers package

i had that on my 08 328
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Whats a prepurchase inspection? edmunds says i should be paying a little around 1200 less but the dealre wont ahve it lol.
A prepurchase inspection is an inspection performed by a third party before you purchase the vehicle. i.e. you take it to an independent BMW mechanic to go over the car looking for any problems and give you an assessment of the car's condition.

There is NO substitute for you doing your own homework of identifying enough comparable cars *currently* for sale in *your* area to decide for yourself if the price is appropriate. Asking a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum is about as useful as grabbing a Magik 8 Ball. You have no way to discern the guy who says "great deal, buy it!" from the guy who says "that's a fair deal" from the jerk who says "ripoff! I got mine for $5000 less!" but neglects to say that his doesn't have half the options and also had unrepaired crash damage.

Last edited by gpburdell; 12-05-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Gotcha! Thanks I think im going to go for it, just have to get the numbers right
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I would want to know why the last two owners didn't want it for more than a few months. Just given that I would not consider buying it without an inspection. It does look very nice.

Are you aware of the high pressure fuel pump issues with the 335i? Do you know if this car has had the HPFP replaced and if it has been serviced under the recall? Important questions to know the answers to.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
Do you really want an automatic? A nice coupe like that should have a proper transmission if you ask me. Also if you find a 2009 it comes with the new and improved version of idrive for comparable money. (or skip idrive all together)

The impatient owner history does worry me, I personally would walk away and look for a newer one with a clutch. The 335 is far from foolproof, best to find one that's perfect.

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM

i drove a manual. and as fun as it it, i rather hve the ease of the auto and it still has the fun in its drive. i am planning to get a 2 extened bumper to bumper warranty for 2200, and my price range is really tight as i still have 2 other cars im paying for.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
You need to get a pre purchase inspection. Also take the vin to the dealer and about the service history if it is concerning. Those last two owners dumping the car is very suspicious.
Lastly, extended warranty is not bumper to bumper, not sure where that came from.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Lastly, extended warranty is not bumper to bumper, not sure where that came from.
A third party warranty can be virtually bumper to bumper. I have a very good exclusionary warranty that covers almost everything.

EDIT: Something worth noting though, my warranty does specifically exclude items for which the "manufacturer has taken responsibility", i.e. recall items. So, my warranty would exclude the HPFP. I'm sure most others have similar exclusions. Fortunately, BMW's 10yr/120k mile warranty extension on this part should apply to the car the OP is looking at.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:48 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I would want to know why the last two owners didn't want it for more than a few months. Just given that I would not consider buying it without an inspection. It does look very nice.

Are you aware of the high pressure fuel pump issues with the 335i? Do you know if this car has had the HPFP replaced and if it has been serviced under the recall? Important questions to know the answers to.
Good points here .... especially why did the last two buyers bail quickly?

See if you can get the key fob or the VIN to a local BMW dealer and have the service history read for you.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Good points here .... especially why did the last two buyers bail quickly?

See if you can get the key fob or the VIN to a local BMW dealer and have the service history read for you.
the amount of owners dont really concern me as much as it did at first, im going to do a vin check, but the last owner didnt like it so went to a 2013 volvo.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
the amount of owners dont really concern me as much as it did at first, im going to do a vin check, but the last owner didnt like it so went to a 2013 volvo.
That's what the dealer always says. For cars they buy at auction.
Do yourself a big favor, get it checked out by an independent third party. Unless 30 large is just chump change to you...
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
I think they used a whole bottle of Armor-all on that steering wheel.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
That's what the dealer always says. For cars they buy at auction.
Do yourself a big favor, get it checked out by an independent third party. Unless 30 large is just chump change to you...

Some sales folk - before ya'll start, I know this is outrageous and almost never ever happens in the real world - lie to make a sale!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb up 04.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	352118

OP - are you talking with the Volvo person?

Actually not bad cover - who'd think a Volvo lover would find happiness at BMW?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM

I am geting it checked, and an extended warranty, i did see the trader paper work for the gentleman, it was an older guy. he got into an s60.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM

but yes of course it could all be lies.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
but yes of course it could all be lies.
Any non-written communication from a car sales person is to be considered untrue until proven otherwise.

Just curious - how does this car compare to other similarly equipped 2008 335i Coupes in the area? You're not in the sticks, so I imagine there are a number of comparables.

The ownership sequence is a yellow flag. Might mean nothing, might mean something. An inspection is a must-have, but is no guarantee. Two people wanted out of the car in six months or less. That's ameliorated a little with the long initial ownership, but still makes me cautious.

Last edited by gpburdell; 12-06-2012 at 07:54 AM.