Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323is
top wont go up

hey guys, i have not seen the problem yet but the shop has a e36 convert coming in tomorrow and the top wont go up. All I know is that if you hit the switch nothing happens and if you manual try it only goes half way up. I figured a lot of you have encountered this so and advice or opinions are welcomed. I will constantly update until it's fixed. Thanks!

p.s. it's coming from another shop so I'm not sure how much they looked into it or what
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavera View Post
hey guys, i have not seen the problem yet but the shop has a e36 convert coming in tomorrow and the top wont go up. All I know is that if you hit the switch nothing happens and if you manual try it only goes half way up. I figured a lot of you have encountered this so and advice or opinions are welcomed. I will constantly update until it's fixed. Thanks!

p.s. it's coming from another shop so I'm not sure how much they looked into it or what
See the Origami sticky
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavera View Post

I am intrigued by this part. If the motors are all disconnected, the top should go all the way up manually. I suppose there is a physical problem with the top geometry. A common problem spot is the cross bar (or whatever it's called).

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM

sorry i did not read the sticky or even search for that matter. i realize there is a lot covered on this topic. i have not been able to look at the car yet but apparently it would close before until it got like 2 or 3 inches from fully sealed. anything cross your mind?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

If the car is a '97 or newer it has a fully auto top, which means the part that connects the front edge of the top to the windshield has a motor inside the top to latch it. If the top worked to that point and then stopped, it could be something as simple as a fried motor. Or it could be broken linkage cables. If that's the case, you'll have to open it up and replace them. There should be more than one thread on that subject around here somewhere. Be thankful the top is not closed with broken cables...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
If the car is a '97 or newer it has a fully auto top, which means the part that connects the front edge of the top to the windshield has a motor inside the top to latch it. If the top worked to that point and then stopped, it could be something as simple as a fried motor. Or it could be broken linkage cables. If that's the case, you'll have to open it up and replace them. There should be more than one thread on that subject around here somewhere. Be thankful the top is not closed with broken cables...
Could also be a problem with micro switch 7. When it closes the top controller thinks the top is closed all the way and locked down. If it closes prematurely, the top stops there........
The E36 convertible adjust PDF file has a really good explanation of how the top mechanism works and what the micro switches do.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM

okay well it was just a reset procedure needed. the prior shop was half way there i'm not sure why they couldn't do that. sorry for asking and not searching i figured it would be more difficult than turning the key and holding a button. thanks!!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Sounds like you lucked out! Nice.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Don't pop the champagne cork yet! Typically the top only needs to be reset when something else has caused it to lose track of where it is. Hopefully it was just something transient and it'll be good, but don't be shocked if they're back in a couple weeks.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Will keep in mind!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App