Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 525i, Legend
BMW 525i 2006 Engine Overheat !!! Help

Hello Everyone !!! This is my first post

My car is BMW 525i 2006 Model with 45,000 Miles on it. While Driving on the highway i got the following warning messages on my Idrive console:

Frist Message:

Engine Temperature: Temperature too high. Drive Moderately to allow the engine to cool down

This Second Message came up in two second of the first message:

Engine Overheated: Stop Engine. allow it to cool down. risk of Scalding

I called up the toe service and took it to the dealer. there is only 1 dealer/Stealer in this Country. My warranty is expired and is not covered. My question to you guys out there is if any of you had a smiliar idrive message and what were you diagnostics/solution ??? I would appericate a 2nd opionion since i don't have another dealer to take it too.

interestingly the temperature bar stayed normal and did not go to hot. I checked the coolent level and it was normal. the only symptom was i could see few drops of coolent around the reserviour. Pherhaps coolent bubbling out due to engine overheating.

I believe idrive will display message like low coolent, engine oil pressure low. But in my case it was only the Engine overheating message. i will update once i get a reply from the dealer/stealer. Mean while Please reply if you faced similar situion.
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Qatar View Post
Hello Everyone !!! This is my first post

My car is BMW 525i 2006 Model with 45,000 Miles on it. While Driving on the highway i got the following warning messages on my Idrive console:

Frist Message:

Engine Temperature: Temperature too high. Drive Moderately to allow the engine to cool down

This Second Message came up in two second of the first message:

Engine Overheated: Stop Engine. allow it to cool down. risk of Scalding

I called up the toe service and took it to the dealer. there is only 1 dealer/Stealer in this Country. My warranty is expired and is not covered. My question to you guys out there is if any of you had a smiliar idrive message and what were you diagnostics/solution ??? I would appericate a 2nd opionion since i don't have another dealer to take it too.

interestingly the temperature bar stayed normal and did not go to hot. I checked the coolent level and it was normal. the only symptom was i could see few drops of coolent around the reserviour. Pherhaps coolent bubbling out due to engine overheating.

I believe idrive will display message like low coolent, engine oil pressure low. But in my case it was only the Engine overheating message. i will update once i get a reply from the dealer/stealer. Mean while Please reply if you faced similar situion.
Hope you stopped driving right after 2nd message.
I am guessing you either have tehrmostat stuck close, dead water pump or bad sensor.

Did you have coolant flush every 2 year?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
The 1999 camry we had before had the water pump die. It cost around 600+ for everything. I'm sure with the BMW pump and installation it would cost close to 1k. It drove fine after but this happen at over 140k miles. Yours happening at 45k miles is pretty awkward. Shows the fact that even having low miles things can fail. When replaced it's like new and perhaps better than it was on originally.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
The 1999 camry we had before had the water pump die. It cost around 600+ for everything. I'm sure with the BMW pump and installation it would cost close to 1k. It drove fine after but this happen at over 140k miles. Yours happening at 45k miles is pretty awkward. Shows the fact that even having low miles things can fail. When replaced it's like new and perhaps better than it was on originally.
how do you figure its "better then it was on originally"??

'08 535i sports premium, black on black/black.
'72 fiat 500L orange on black
Old 03-06-2010, 10:58 PM

Update from the service center !!! You guys were right on spot Dealer is saying the diagnostics code reveals it's the electrical water pump failure. So it will cost me around 850$ for the spare parts and labor charges. The water pump is around 562$. I asked the dealer if it was possible to just replace the electrical component of the water pump that failed. it might bring the price down. the dealer said the parts comes as complete unit and is not sold seperatly. any way i said to the dealer to keep the old water pump and not to throw it away. is it normal to for these models to have the electrical water pump failure in such a low level mileage??

Quote:
Did you have coolant flush every 2 year?
According to the dealer the coolent and automatic transmission oil is for life and don't have to be changed. are you saying that water pump failure could be becuase of the coolent not being replaced?

Quote:
It cost around 600+ for everything. I'm sure with the BMW pump and installation it would cost close to 1k
your correct on the solution and the pricing is very near.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Qatar View Post
Update from the service center !!! You guys were right on spot Dealer is saying the diagnostics code reveals it's the electrical water pump failure. So it will cost me around 850$ for the spare parts and labor charges. The water pump is around 562$. I asked the dealer if it was possible to just replace the electrical component of the water pump that failed. it might bring the price down. the dealer said the parts comes as complete unit and is not sold seperatly. any way i said to the dealer to keep the old water pump and not to throw it away. is it normal to for these models to have the electrical water pump failure in such a low level mileage??

According to the dealer the coolent and automatic transmission oil is for life and don't have to be changed. are you saying that water pump failure could be becuase of the coolent not being replaced?

your correct on the solution and the pricing is very near.
BMW used to flush coolant every 2 year but get's cheap and do so once every 4 years(so instead of twice under maintenance waranty now BMW only do it once and depend on mileage may get away w/o flushing it at all during this 4yr//50000 miles).

Hard to say but you can get some rust build up in thermostat and WP. But yours probbaly had a flush during WP replacement.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
I don't believe BMW will do any coolant flush and refill under warranty. BMW claims "lifetime" coolant fill and says do it every 100K.

I just had it done on my 07 550 @ 35K and it cost me $112.

Money well spent.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Blue_Metallic

Mein Auto: 06' 530i
Seems to be contagious. I had the same problem tonight on my 2006 530i with 57K miles. The light is coming on during short drives in cool temps.

I called for a tow and will drop a the dealer in the morning to have a look. Based on your post, it could be the water pump and will be expensive!

Thanks,
Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Seems to be contagious. I had the same problem tonight on my 2006 530i with 57K miles. The light is coming on during short drives in cool temps.

I called for a tow and will drop a the dealer in the morning to have a look. Based on your post, it could be the water pump and will be expensive!

Thanks,
My fan also kicked in and operated at High speed during the message. the fan is working at double speed to keep the engine cool. Did you notice any coolent around the filling bottle ? . It could well be the water pump. the dealer told me that it was either code 22 or 21 for the water pump. can't remember exaclty.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Metallic View Post

Thanks,
BMW recommends cooling overhaul around 60Kmiles, this include WP, thermostat, radiator hoses, expansion tank, especially on hot climates. At this time check radiator as well since aluminum corodes overtime, that's why I do 2-year coolant flush even If I have to pay for it.

My X5 4.4i upper radiator hose cracked around 59kmiles so it's common on all BMWs, their engine runs hot for performance and fuel efficiency.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTC-OFF View Post
how do you figure its "better then it was on originally"??
Because some parts that fail are defective out of the box. Replaced with one that works, it's better than it was originally.

Computer parts that seem to work fine but are actually defective tend to work not as fast as they should. Replacing with a new part that works perfectly means better performance which means better than it was originally.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
525I Electric Water Pump failure at 61K miles

This must be catchy. My 2006 525I electric water pump failed at 61K. The impeller and bearings are fine but the electronic unit failed. I know because I kept the old part and the repair mechanic said he could send a command to the failed water pump and force it to work. The electronics on the end of the pump failed. I intend to remove it and inspect the inside to figure out what failed. BMW needs to supply the electronic module as a separate unit. This should be a $30 fix instead of $850. I'm very disappointed in the electrical engineering at BMW. This is definitely a premature failure and BMW's ear will be bent by this engineer. What a POS! Make sure you don't drive it when the idiot light comes on!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
i knew i could come here to see if my car was the only one that was overheating. After reading this thread then i know it is not just me. i am in the same boat with you guys. My 2006 with 60k miles just started to over heat and i think it is going to be the water pump. i totally agree that having to pay 500 plus for a water pump is ridiculous. i too only have one dealership in my area and i am looking at about 1000 dollars for the repair.

i was wondering if anyone here decided to use another brand of water pump like the ones being sold on the net, instead of the oem ones?

Did anyone here decide to change the pump themselves?

Hey just wondering what part# were you given.

i have this water pump part# 11517563994

Last edited by lonewolf525; 10-05-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Because some parts that fail are defective out of the box. Replaced with one that works, it's better than it was originally.
Just have to ask.... and why would the "out of the box" replacement part be any more or less prone to premature failure than the factory part it replaces? Most replacement parts do "work" out of the box when first installed. Its just a matter of for how long.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
My water pump died about 2 months ago too, 2007 530i w/ 25k miles. Makes me wonder if it's more a time based failure rather than miles based..
Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Same problem here....on my way back from Louisiana to Atlanta and about 45 miles outside my family's home in LA I started getting the engine overheated pull over message. Got the car towed back into Baton Rouge on Sunday....water pump failed at 47K miles on 2008 535i....which seems way to early for a water pump. Luckily still under factory warranty so if it's going to fail, glad it did now. Just hate it happened out of town...been stuck in LA for 2 days now but supposed to pick it up today around noon. Cross your fingers it's all good and I can head back to Atlanta today.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i M-sport
Had mine replaced under warranty in October at 49K on a 525i. It is sad that they are failing so early. A month later my lower hose was leaking and valve pan gasket was leaking oil probably from overheating. Only real problem I had with the car but it seems to be happening consistently with the I6 engines at relatively low mileage.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535I 2008
BMW 2008 535I Water Pump

It happened to me the other day, 535I 2008 with 71K, Now I asked my dealer in the my area on how much will it cost to get it replaced, it will be about $1,400-1,800. I'm thinking replacing it myself. The parts will cost me from Turner Motorsports about $600 with Thermostat. Now, does anybody here have an idea a step by step on how? Any suggestion on where to get the parts from reputable web store?

I appreciate all the help.

Thanks
Darwin
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 PM
beemmeup

Mein Auto: 2006 525xi
Try bavauto they have DIY videos,if not try YouTube