Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i
Exclamation HELP?! mE, pliss.

So i recently bought a 2001 BMW 330i, not knowing sh*t about them smh, and about 2 days later the airbag light came on, & i told the dealer guy about it and he said it was some type of malfunction and all he needed to do was reset it, well that never happened. so a month has passed by and i decided to go on a road trip to denver.. (i know im dumb..) so on the way over there everything went smooth, but on the way back while driving on the highway the car jerked, and the BRAKE light came on, along with the ASC light, & the CHECK ENGINE SOON light, i pulled to the side and turned it back on after 10 minutes and the lights came off. As i drove home this happened about 3 times (another stupidity). not only that but the car also turns off automatically!! which is super deadly! can someone help me?? i know i dont know sh*t but i got to learn somewhere, just like evryone.. thanks guys.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM
5454u2nv

Mein Auto: 545i
My best advise to you is go to a Bmw dealer thats your best bet it could be 1 simple thing thats making everything eles go hay wire. when i bought my car it kept telling me that the key wasn't in the ignition now mind you iam driving the car..lol so i went to the dealer here all i needed was a update on my computer cost was $175.00 and problem solved
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM

haha nice, well i hope it is a small thing, & not something too bad where i most likely will get charged an arm or leg =(. thanks man!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Don`t be stupid....go somewhere like Autozone and have them scan the codes. That`s *always* the first step in any diagnosis with these cars. If you stumble into a dealer not knowing *anything*, they WILL chop your balls off....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
^^^^^ - The dealer will charge one hour labor - $130 to scan the codes. Autozone it -
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyPSims View Post
So i recently bought a 2001 BMW 330i, not knowing sh*t about them smh, and about 2 days later the airbag light came on, & i told the dealer guy about it and he said it was some type of malfunction and all he needed to do was reset it, well that never happened. so a month has passed by and i decided to go on a road trip to denver.. (i know im dumb..) so on the way over there everything went smooth, but on the way back while driving on the highway the car jerked, and the BRAKE light came on, along with the ASC light, & the CHECK ENGINE SOON light, i pulled to the side and turned it back on after 10 minutes and the lights came off. As i drove home this happened about 3 times (another stupidity). not only that but the car also turns off automatically!! which is super deadly! can someone help me?? i know i dont know sh*t but i got to learn somewhere, just like evryone.. thanks guys.
The performance issues are likely unrelated to the airbag error. Your car probably went into what is known as limp mode, restricting performance for its own protection until the problem is resolved. Turning the key off then back on clears limp mode until the computer sees the problems again and limps it again. Lots of things need attention on this car by 11 years so unless you know stuff has been done, you might have a lot of "mid-life" refreshment maintenance to do. Read through the e46 wiki at link at top of page to get an idea. Be prepared to spend some money to get it into top shape again.

The fuel pumps ($150ish) are usually reliable 8-12 years and will cause this issue, or a clogged fuel filter ($40). But get the codes read and report back here before you start throwing $$ parts at it. At this age, lots of things can cause this.

Have AZ test your battery as well. A failing battery can make these cars do weird things too.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
FYI -- he's from California, and in this sorry excuse for a state, Autozone cannot scan for codes. Our state considers scanning a car for codes "auto repair" for which one must be a licensed mechanic with the state of Kalifornia before performing. I'm still trying to figure out whether it's the state simply being its typical greedy and over-intrusive self, or whether some organized mechanics group lobbied the state legislature to prohibit parts stores from scanning in some sort of corrupt back-room deal. I wouldn't be surprised by either.

Find a reputable indy shop. If you want to drive down to SD, I have some suggestions. Otherwise, perhaps other LA/OC-area festers can recommend an indy.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottji View Post
FYI -- he's from California, and in this sorry excuse for a state, Autozone cannot scan for codes. Our state considers scanning a car for codes "auto repair" for which one must be a licensed mechanic with the state of Kalifornia before performing. I'm still trying to figure out whether it's the state simply being its typical greedy and over-intrusive self, or whether some organized mechanics group lobbied the state legislature to prohibit parts stores from scanning in some sort of corrupt back-room deal. I wouldn't be surprised by either.

Find a reputable indy shop. If you want to drive down to SD, I have some suggestions. Otherwise, perhaps other LA/OC-area festers can recommend an indy.
Or he could buy his own OBDII scanner for cheaper than 1 diagnosis at the Stealer abd have it for future codes that will undoubtedly occur. I keep one in my glove box and it has paid for itself many times over. Even if you can go to Autozone it still saves you trips across town, or better yet if your car wont start to get it over there
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
If your cars randomly turning off and all those lights go on. Car you even start the car after? auto or manual? sounds very similar to a alternator going bad.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Tilted, Brim low Brim low

Mein Auto: 2003 e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC View Post
^^^^^ - The dealer will charge one hour labor - $130 to scan the codes. Autozone it -
"Wait, 130? It was 160 Just to get my car diagnosed by my dealership a year or two ago. Those Bastards!"
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 AM

Update !!

Okay i got an update for you guys. I had my buddy's buddy read the codes for me. It read "P0335" which we googled, and crank shift malfunction came up. ?? Feedback would be greatly appreciated, and any other options or directions on how to fix this... btw all the lights on the dashboard are off now except for the airbag, & every once in a while the yellow oil light comes on which I'm aware of an oil change ASAP, other than that my car is close to 125k mi, any other details that can help, let know. THANKS to everyone responses!!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
P0335 is a failing Crankshaft Position Sensor. Replace it.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
P0335 is a failing Crankshaft Position Sensor. Replace it.
^^^This. All of your problems are sensor related. Your airbag light is most likely on due to a bad airbag sensor which unfortunately expensive to replace. With the yellow oil light, all this means is that your oil level sensor is toast, just be sure to keep an eye on your oil level regularly. If the light flashes RED this means that you are dangerously low on oil and you need to shut your car off IMMEDIATELY.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
WileyPSims... you're half way there. Then comes the DIY, if you're up to it, check around for the procedure or have it done by a certified independent shop.

DIY = $ave $$

@Rocky Charles4 Hey an idea; Maybe we should have the red shirt character in you signature saying; Dealership instead.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Tilted, Brim low Brim low

Mein Auto: 2003 e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_kid View Post
WileyPSims... you're half way there. Then comes the DIY, if you're up to it, check around for the procedure or have it done by a certified independent shop.

DIY = $ave $$

@Rocky Charles4 Hey an idea; Maybe we should have the red shirt character in you signature saying; Dealership instead.
Aw man, I'm going to see if I can Edit it. Nice thinking lmao