Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540i
Non-Start after rough running in the rain

UPDATE: Solved! It was the fuel pump. See last message in thread.

OK, this one is turning into a tough one to diagnose. Any ideas appreciated.

2000 323i 188K miles

Driving in rain today, CEL comes on. I limp home and the car is low on power and severely hesitates under 2k... but at least I make it home.

I plug in my PA Soft BMW scanner and get the following errors:

DME Errors
92[146] Minor Leak 0.5mm; fuel cap possibly not secured
E3[227] Ox-s control deviation, bank 1 too large
E4[228] Ox-s control deviation, bank 2 too large
EE[230] Misfire. cylinder 1
EF[239] Misfire. cylinder 1
7F[127] Activation, solenoid valve, suction-jet pump

LCM Errors
16[022] Turn lights switch / wire. short circuit to ground
17[023] High beam / headlight flasher switch. sort circuit to ground
33[051] Sidelight front right
38[056] Sidelight front left
3E[062] Rear fog light faulty

IKE Errors
11[017] Thermal oil level sensor
BE[190] Data-filing difference to central light module (LCM)

...car just cranks and cranks (very strongly), but won't start.

Unplugged MAF and still no start. Checked all connectors in engine compartment, none seem we or loose. Inspected grounds.

Recent DIY work done - CCV (double-checked all vacuum connections still fine); water pump; belt pulleys; soldered faulty dome light; rear springs and shocks; Vanos oil line replacement. Car ran fine after all of these (no CEL until today).

Maybe a ground got wet in the rain?? What non-start conditions that don't include sensor errors could these be caused by? Any ideas folks? Could a faulty key do this? I only have one unfortunately... I'm scratching my head here...

Last edited by redfisch; 12-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Any time you have a number of unrelated gremlins pop up like that, the battery is the number one Usual Suspect. These cars are extremely battery-dependent, and will develop major weirdness in the presence of a weak or failing battery. Autozone or Walmart has a replacement for $100. Clean and tighten all electrical connections, especially the ground wire where it connects to the chassis.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Any time you have a number of unrelated gremlins pop up like that, the battery is the number one Usual Suspect. These cars are extremely battery-dependent, and will develop major weirdness in the presence of a weak or failing battery. Autozone or Walmart has a replacement for $100. Clean and tighten all electrical connections, especially the ground wire where it connects to the chassis.
Hmmm... I will throw the DMM on it tomorrow, but the starter was cranking very strongly. I can't test the charging system since it won't start.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
The DMM reads 13.7v at the battery and also 13.7v at the jumper post in the engine compartment. I am trying the 15 minute battery lead short test now (unplugging both battery leads and connecting them together for 15 minutes). Will see if that does anything. Next check will be the fuel pump and suction pump.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Question: When I was replacing the CCV, there is an electrical box that you unbolt and move out of the way. Is there any way being too rough on that could have caused a short that would cause these issues? I don't think so, since they are mostly connectors for the DISA, ICV, MAF and VANOS, (which I think would show different errors than what I have), but maybe a wire was bare and water shorted it?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Do you have pressure on the fuel line? Can you hear the fuel pump prime?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Do you have pressure on the fuel line? Can you hear the fuel pump prime?
SOLVED. ...it seems great minds think alike. While you were posting this, that was exactly what I was looking into. Looks like it was a flakey fuel pump that finally died. I jumped it and no noise. Just replaced it and all is well.

The light module errors were unrelated and were probably caused by a loose connector at the instrument cluster I took it apart a few weeks ago to fix the tabs that set the clock. When I did, the fastener that holds the connector in snapped... but I thought the connector would hold ok. Guess I was wrong.

So I'm back on the road! Now to get the smell of gas off my hands... thanks for the ideas guys.