Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Starter Replacement

Alright guys so I just found out from my mechanic that my starter is finished and needs to be replaced. He gave me a $781.00 estimate which I think is too much. So I searched online and found a replacement oem part for $130 My question is should I try and diy or take it to a shop and have them replace it?
Ads by Google
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
I am planning on replacing starter on my '06 530i next week. I wanted to replace it before I get stranded, car currently has 118K with original starter and I am planning a 2500 mile trip soon.

Starter replacement requires the removal of intake manifold; so, the manifold gaskets will need to be replaced when putting it back on. I already ordered a set of gaskets.

Since the aluminum bolts can't be reused, starter bolts set is also needed.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AS A FIRST STEP.

Last edited by pcy; 12-15-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Ok I think I will try my luck. How long do you think this job might take me?
And will any starter bolts work or do I need specific starter bolts?

Last edited by 2Fast4You; 12-15-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series
Good Luck

I have done this and it is not easy.

It can be done, but you have to have patience and expect challenges.

I removed mine from the top. You have to remove everything below the windshield including the wipers, micro filters, and all trim.

You will also need access below the motor too so you can see the bolts you need to access and observe the problem fully before attempting to resolve it.

It is so tight in there you will need to take your time and expect time issues as mentioned. I hope you have another car in case you get frustrated!

I made two custom tools for this job.

1. To remove the windshield wipers. (You can remove the hex bolts, but they will be pressed on so tight you basically need a pulley removal tool as well).
2. To remove one of the bolts on the bell housing top (it's "stupid tight" in there for a normal wrench or socket type).

I have R&R'd many starters in the past and this one was the toughest to get at without removing so many parts I have ever done.

Thank God I could make my own tools with correct angles for accessing the bolts!

You can do it from the bottom as well, but it's just as tough since the angles are goofy to say the least and space is at an absolute minimum!

Taking off the intake manifold makes it very simple, but then with so many plastic parts that have seen so many heat cycles who wants to actually do that, if it is not necessary!

Last edited by LinearTQ; 12-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Now I feel discouraged from doing it myself. I don't have a lift and limited on tools as well. I think I will leave this to a mechanic. As much as I like to work on my car some things should be left to the pros.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
LinearTQ, I don't understand why windshield wipers need to be removed to replace starter on N52 ('06 530i).
TIS doesn't say anything about the windshield wipers needing to be removed.

I agree removing cabin filters and the plastic trim around the filters will give more room. It takes about 15 minutes to 20 minutes to remove cabin filters and the surrounding trim.

Look at the picture below - this was taken when I removed the filters and trim. You can see the starter under the intake manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01674_r.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	353369  

Last edited by pcy; 12-15-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 PM
BMW Master Wannabe

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
This is an easy 8 hour labor job. I just had my starter replaced with a Bosch starter from my Indy mechanic. He cut me a huge deal on the labor too. Make sure you are getting a high quality starter and not one of the cheaper brands. Bosch is the OM for the starters in our cars. I would stick with a Bosch or BMW (Bosch) starter. You don't want to pay that labor bill again in 3 or 4 years. I would also replace the intake manifold gaskets and any rubber seals you encounter on this job. Again, you don't want to pay labor to fix things twice. My entire bill was $973. I was happy to pay that bill, even if I had to cash in some stock to pay for it.

Just did brakes today and saved myself $750. Wife is impressed I can do some of the work and save on labor cost with Indy.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM

I recently replaced my spark plugs with bosch oem parts and had the car running great until the starter went bad, so I'll get that fixed tomorrow. I actually came across a great deal from the dealership $396 to replace the starter including labor. Hopefully the deal holds through I look forward to getting back on the road tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Michael R

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Please say which dealership. I am amazed at such a low price, would like to try using them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4You View Post
I recently replaced my spark plugs with bosch oem parts and had the car running great until the starter went bad, so I'll get that fixed tomorrow. I actually came across a great deal from the dealership $396 to replace the starter including labor. Hopefully the deal holds through I look forward to getting back on the road tomorrow.