Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Question Flummuxed & Stumped>>>E60 Start malfunction

I have a 2006 525i. Meticulously cared for. Duh. Here is my problem. My battery died. Which is a common malfunction. I purchased a non-OEM battery from Interstate Battery, MTP-H9, same exact battery and fit as the original. After replacement of the battery, it started right up. I drove it around for about an hour. I let it run for another hour. I turned the car off and restarted it. Went to bed. I woke up the next day to drive it. New Battery was drained. I bought the BMW recommended charger, Battery Tender, to charge the battery. Still won't start. Horn, lights, radio, alarm, ambient lights, all electronics are strong and function fully. I did more research. I bought the Bavarian Technic Enthusiast kit to register the battery, get a code readout and I even reset the codes to force a restart. To no avail, car sits, battery charged, not starting. Sadly, as common as my "New Battery, Won't Start" problem is, I can't seem to get a luculent solution from the forums. Any insight would be endearingly appreciated, even a, "see this forum for help" would be embraced. I find myself at a total loss since all my DIY repairs have been successful. I haven't conceded to a tow and a mechanic that specializes in my import. Gratitude in advance.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Does it crank?
If not then your starter is next stop.
If it's crank or trying to start, then your alternator can bad

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: a car
I had one like this. Turned out to be the starter

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
SITUATION The engine does not crank. Only the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) and red brake lights show in the instrument cluster with ignition on. FC A111 (ELV voltage supply fault) is stored in the CAS (Car Access System)

CAUSE Low 15WUP signal voltage caused by faulty IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor)

CORRECTION In case of customer complaint, disconnect the IBS connector X13895 (3-pin connector with 2 wires). The IBS is located on the negative battery terminal. Follow the white/blue and gray wires from the IBS to locate X13895.

If the vehicle now starts, the IBS is faulty and must be replaced

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I just had the same problem and also bought an Interstate battery for my 545. I could not figure out what the problem was and after playing under the hood and in the trunk I found that the Positive terminal under the hood was loose. A quick fix and the car started right up and it has been a week and No problems. I checked the battery terminals 50 times and not once bothered to check the points under the hood. I also thought it was the starter so I was happy it was just a loose bolt. Good luck
Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Nube1kenobi I will try this first! Gratitude for a brilliant response.

Phlfy, It doesn't crank. Just a buzzing noise when I compress brake and turn key. Decompress brake buzzing (start attempt) starts. I will try Nube1Kenobi's insight then shoot straight to this if my problem persists. Gratitude.

Gratitude, Pauliehcfr...I suspect that it may be the starter as I noticed slower and slower starts at each cranking when I installed the new battery!

Jerrybsal, Ooooooooo, buddy! I will do this FIRST! Excellent...."Please let this be the problem, oh, Great Bayerische Motoren Werke", (a simple prayer to self, lol)

Gratitude again for all replies...I will post my results once I dig in and get my hands dirty.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Before you spend any more $$$ to get this fixed return here and update us. If your 525i has the M54 engine there could be a QLT sensor internal short issue and a power supply harness retrofit you can do to fix this.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 07-21-2012, 03:46 PM

Update: It was the starter. I took out the old one and installed a new one. It started right up. It took me a couple of weeks but it is in. What a ****ing tight fit this installation is! I are gratified by this accomplishment. Tons of second guesses and glances askew when I took it on but I fought through it and it is running. I did this. I fixed a major component on MY CAR. Gratitude Phlfly, Nube1Kenobi, Pauliehcfr, & Jerrybsal for your comments, assistance, and input.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleiderskju429 View Post
Update: It was the starter. I took out the old one and installed a new one. It started right up. It took me a couple of weeks but it is in. What a ****ing tight fit this installation is! I are gratified by this accomplishment. Tons of second guesses and glances askew when I took it on but I fought through it and it is running. I did this. I fixed a major component on MY CAR. Gratitude Phlfly, Nube1Kenobi, Pauliehcfr, & Jerrybsal for your comments, assistance, and input.
Congratulations and way to be brave! What is the worst that could have happen? If you couldn't put it back together throw the parts in a box in the trunk, put your tail between your legs and get it towed to your Indie. Not the end of the world.

But you stayed with it and did it yourself.

Here's to a new level of DIY bravery.

Now go out and give it an old fashioned Italian tuneup!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
Congratulations and way to be brave! What is the worst that could have happen? If you couldn't put it back together throw the parts in a box in the trunk, put your tail between your legs and get it towed to your Indie. Not the end of the world.

But you stayed with it and did it yourself.

Here's to a new level of DIY bravery.

Now go out and give it an old fashioned Italian tuneup!
My Man! You are right. That's all that could happen. That's nothing. I will definitely give it an old fashioned Italian tune-up this evening. Gratitude Bimmerfan52!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
SITUATION The engine does not crank. Only the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) and red brake lights show in the instrument cluster with ignition on. FC A111 (ELV voltage supply fault) is stored in the CAS (Car Access System)

CAUSE Low 15WUP signal voltage caused by faulty IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor)

CORRECTION In case of customer complaint, disconnect the IBS connector X13895 (3-pin connector with 2 wires). The IBS is located on the negative battery terminal. Follow the white/blue and gray wires from the IBS to locate X13895.

If the vehicle now starts, the IBS is faulty and must be replaced

:bigp imp:

I do apologize for resurrecting this thread from the dead, but, YOU GOOD SIR, just saved me a tow and costly trip to the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I just told my wife - this is exactly why I join these forums!!!!

My BMW would not start New Years Eve morning....
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=667175

Last edited by FCman; 01-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.