Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i e92 Space Gray
Power steering fluid

Greetings, I had my 09 E92 328i in last week for an oil change. 40,000 mi. I do the 7500 mi changes. SA tells me that the power steering fluid is "slightly discolored" and recomended a flush and new fluid to the tune of $145. I asked why it wouldn't be covered under the maintenence plan and he stated that power steering fluid is not. Later I'm thinking that if BMW's policy is 'condition based maintenence' then why wouldn't the condition of my fluid call for it to be changed. I'm also thinking that any fluid that's not new might be "slightly discolored" Anyone else been thru this? Think the fluid really needs to be flushed? I think I read PS fluid should be done at 50,000mi.
Ads by Google
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Uses Pentosin FLuid

Some people just suck it out with a turkey baster then put new stuff in .
My Indy says 90k (everything is lifetime fluid except oil and brake fluid according to there
free scheduled maintenance policy, with the emphasis on scheduled)

There are DIY's for changing it on Ytube and in the DIY sections on several boards

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Last edited by ctuna; 12-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster1 View Post
Greetings, I had my 09 E92 328i in last week for an oil change. 40,000 mi. I do the 7500 mi changes. SA tells me that the power steering fluid is "slightly discolored" and recomended a flush and new fluid to the tune of $145. I asked why it wouldn't be covered under the maintenence plan and he stated that power steering fluid is not. Later I'm thinking that if BMW's policy is 'condition based maintenence' then why wouldn't the condition of my fluid call for it to be changed. I'm also thinking that any fluid that's not new might be "slightly discolored" Anyone else been thru this? Think the fluid really needs to be flushed? I think I read PS fluid should be done at 50,000mi.

I'll bite: Why is slightly discolored bad? Post details here!

If the recommendation & explanation wasn't in writing, ask SA to write it up so you don't forget. And so you can post an image of the report.

This'll be fun....
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
I think some SAs play games.. "let's see who's the first to get someone to spring for a PS fluid this week" etc.

Most cars goes their entire life without the PS fluid being changed. It does not get hot like transmissions, engines, diffs etc. I've read much advice that says "change it at ~100K miles if you wish but it probably does not matter". Your diff and transmission are much more likely in need of fresh fluids than the power steering.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Anytime someone tells you that you need XX service you have to ask, if it's not covered by the maintenance plan then why did I need it, at least while you're still under the maintenance plan. After that then you probably need to be looking at the Mike Miller or similiar maintenance plan.

That said, I did a precautionary change of mine at 30k sucking it out with a large syringe since a can is only $20 and has enough fluid to change it twice, but paying someone $145 to change it at 40k is a waste of $.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
The fluid is clear so any contamination at all will "slightly discolor" it.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Exchanging the fluid is pretty easy if you don't mind removing the plastic pan. You should see a banjo bolt for the PS lines. with the car jacked up front wheels off the ground just turn the wheel both ways with the banjo bolt cracked and you will drain the entire system in short order. Close the bolt and refill and turn the wheels to purge all air out. Taking the pan off is the only down side because it has like 20 small bolts...
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Suck fluid out and top up
It's easy peasy japaneasy
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
The hydraulic fluid used in BMW power steering systems can go a million miles and not discolor or degrade. If your fluid has discolored it may have gotten a slight honey/amber color. No problem at all is indicated at this point. You can leave it alone, or drain and refill if that makes you feel better.
If your ps fluid is changing color due to a defect in the system then it is already too late to 'fix' the problem. If you see no particles (None!) and there are no steering symptoms, then don't lose any sleep over it.
In the meantime, if you'd like to dip the corner of a Kleenex into the reservoir, and then post a good qulity pic, I'll advise you further. FYI, CHF 7.1 and 11S which used to be clear has had a slight green dye added to it for years. Maybe the tech is confusing the light green color for discoloration, or somebody is looking to make a fast buck.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
The hydraulic fluid used in BMW power steering systems can go a million miles and not discolor or degrade. If your fluid has discolored it may have gotten a slight honey/amber color. No problem at all is indicated at this point. You can leave it alone, or drain and refill if that makes you feel better.
If your ps fluid is changing color due to a defect in the system then it is already too late to 'fix' the problem. If you see no particles (None!) and there are no steering symptoms, then don't lose any sleep over it.
In the meantime, if you'd like to dip the corner of a Kleenex into the reservoir, and then post a good qulity pic, I'll advise you further. FYI, CHF 7.1 and 11S which used to be clear has had a slight green dye added to it for years. Maybe the tech is confusing the light green color for discoloration, or somebody is looking to make a fast buck.
DSX - any harm in the turkey baster/repeat three times method vs. drain and fill?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Exchanging the fluid is pretty easy if you don't mind removing the plastic pan. You should see a banjo bolt for the PS lines. with the car jacked up front wheels off the ground just turn the wheel both ways with the banjo bolt cracked and you will drain the entire system in short order. Close the bolt and refill and turn the wheels to purge all air out. Taking the pan off is the only down side because it has like 20 small bolts...
WTF?

I like to put the car on a frame, turn it upside down and take the top off. You can change the oil and windscreen fluid like this, but flushing the brakes is much more difficult

Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 12-07-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
DSX - any harm in the turkey baster/repeat three times method vs. drain and fill?
Just more costly, time consuming and it doesn't get as much old fluid out as the method described above. When the rack is cycled back and forth (engine off, wheels off the ground, banjo bolt cracked) much more of the old fluid is removed.
It can sound kinda scary when you first start it up after refilling the system. It'll hum like crazy until the rack is cycled a few times to remove the trapped air.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Just more costly, time consuming and it doesn't get as much old fluid out as the method described above. When the rack is cycled back and forth (engine off, wheels off the ground, banjo bolt cracked) much more of the old fluid is removed.
It can sound kinda scary when you first start it up after refilling the system. It'll hum like crazy until the rack is cycled a few times to remove the trapped air.
Ah so gotcha. I've done the turkey baster on the E46, just started the car and drive it slowly turning lock to lock a few times between extract/fill. E9x has 29k on it, I dipped the fluid and it looked cloudy to me. Probably just being anal retentive. I may just leave it alone lol.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
WTF?

I like to put the car on a frame, turn it upside down and take the top off. You can change the oil and windscreen fluid like this, but flushing the brakes is much more difficult

Excellent idea.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i e92 Space Gray
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. First sunny day I will check the color myself, dip a kleenex and post the pic. I'm still of the opinion that any fluid with 40,000 miles would probably be "slightly discolored"
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster1 View Post
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. First sunny day I will check the color myself, dip a kleenex and post the pic. I'm still of the opinion that any fluid with 40,000 miles would probably be "slightly discolored"

Naturally. Just fer kicks, and 'cause the Devil made me do it, ask for that written recommendation & justification; post image.

Fun fun fun, 'til daddy takes her Bimmer away....