Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i
Smile Premium Sound Upgrade

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd do a quick post on the upgrade I made today.

I previously had the premium sound setup in my 2013 X5, but was really disappointed with it. So, I decided to go with the BAVSound Stage one. Direct speaker replacements for all the factory speakers (except subs).

Not scientific, but its sounds about 1000000x better. Tweets are much less sharp and jarring and the mids are very clear. Also the new speakers are a little less efficient so seem to match better with the level that the under-seat subs are set at.

Local shop did the install in 3hrs....not bad for a 14 speaker replacement.

Joe
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5
$$ ballpark?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:30 PM

1200 installed....not super cheap....but sounds as good as a $2500-3K system.....and NO mods to car.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
I was wondering about this setup too. I did research, and came across their site. So it's that much better; How is the bass? I have the Hifi sound in my '13, which I guess is standard, for the '13, but I really hear nothing from the subs. I think the component speakers over-power them. I miss the premium sound from my '04 545i. It was H/K I believe, and sounded great. I could push it if I wanted to, though I usually didn't, but in either event, it all matched well, and was crystal clear. It had an EQ, which was nice. Your premium sound package has an EQ right?
Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 PM

Yes, I was skeptical as well.

As car as bass goes they don't change the subs, but the sensitivity balance is so much better that the subs seem much more alive.

I did this most for a clarity upgrade as the stock premium sound was muddy as heck.

Joe
Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35d
Do you have a list of the speakers that you put in?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM

http://bavsound.com
Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Yeah, I may look into this more. Someone had posted that the clarity of the Premium Sound was not as good as the standard Hifi sound on 12's and 13's.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Nice try BSW, but your crappy Chinese speakers are terrible and if you order the center speaker alone, it won't fit without the tweeter (which you dont sell separately). Also, you must be crazy if anyone is gonna pay for 1200 JUST for speakers... with no name brand
Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Premium Sound Upgrade

Well that's not helpful. Do you have the system installed? What about it were you unimpressed with?

14 speakers that are a direct factory replacement for $1200 installed is a great deal.

Just sharing my experience and I think it's quite a nice upgrade for people that don't want to mess with their warranty.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-29-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I upgraded my 13 X5 Premium Sound with the BSW Stage One speakers about 8 months ago. I did the install myself, with the help of the BSW install instructions, so I not only could hear the difference in sound quality but also see the differences in build quality...and trust it was night and day! I just checked and the package is $999 and it was well worth it to me. Everything they said was 100%. I was so happy with the X5 kit, that I ordered another set for my wife's 3 Conv...and yet another WOW. In my opinion, this plug and play speaker replacements was some well spent money...
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Premium Sound Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbracy View Post
I upgraded my 13 X5 Premium Sound with the BSW Stage One speakers about 8 months ago. I did the install myself, with the help of the BSW install instructions, so I not only could hear the difference in sound quality but also see the differences in build quality...and trust it was night and day! I just checked and the package is $999 and it was well worth it to me. Everything they said was 100%. I was so happy with the X5 kit, that I ordered another set for my wife's 3 Conv...and yet another WOW. In my opinion, this plug and play speaker replacements was some well spent money...
Thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm glad that you had a similar experience. It's difficult to quantify audio improvement, but like you, I've found it significantly better. Speaks volumes that you upgraded your other vehicle as well.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Can we ban these people or at least delete this thread? Clearly low-post trolls trying to advertise BSW speakers without becoming a sponsor.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, Z4 3.0i
Really? Kind of a harsh response. I don't work for BavSound. I purchased a speaker kit from them 4 years ago for my 330ci. I felt the build quality was a good value. Plus they've taken the time to engineer the speakers to fit in the same holes as the factory speakers use. I was impressed I didn't have to cut or drill new holes. This is a basic DYI project that someone with limited skills can dive into. I had fun doing it. That was my experience. I was also surprised by the sound improvement. They are a bit expensive, but if someone is willing to go this route, why bang them for it? I was thinking of doing the upgrade to my X5 when the weather warms up. This post helped confirm that it is something I will do. I did a quick search and didn't see another vendor out their offering a similar "plug & play" option. Ideally, it would be nice to find something priced lower, but if someone wants to pay a few extra dollars for this upgrade, such is life. Good post guys! BTW, my Iphone 5s is also built in China. Doesn't mean the California company behind it didn't do a good job designing it.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Nice try BSW, but your crappy Chinese speakers are terrible and if you order the center speaker alone, it won't fit without the tweeter (which you dont sell separately). Also, you must be crazy if anyone is gonna pay for 1200 JUST for speakers... with no name brand
OK, good to have another point of view, but do you have other alternatives? Not looking for the X5 but for my E46 and I was going to go the BSW route due to plug and play.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 PM

Premium Sound Upgrade

Just trying to be helpful by sharing my experience. I'm sure the upgrade isn't for everyone, but I've really enjoyed it this far.