Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e92-n54
help with n54 walnut blaster service info

I have a 2007 e92-n54, 6MT (zhp,zpp) with about 32k miles. I plan to keep the car for another 5-6 years at least). I am a DD and do not track or heel toe and all that stuff. I do not granny the car either. Occasionally drive hard. I plan to follow good old Mike Miller maintenance. From a maintenance perspective when do you guys do the walnut blaster service for a n54 ? (at what mileage or after how many years ? ) Mark does not talk about this in his guide or maybe he uses a different term for this. Apparently you need a special tool to do this and not all Indy shops do it. Costs about $500 i think at the dealer. thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
I had never heard of a "Walnut Blaster" service until now. I found this thread, and the guy seems very happy with the results.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-*pics-inside*
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulshan View Post
I have a 2007 e92-n54, 6MT (zhp,zpp) with about 32k miles. I plan to keep the car for another 5-6 years at least). I am a DD and do not track or heel toe and all that stuff. I do not granny the car either. Occasionally drive hard. I plan to follow good old Mike Miller maintenance. From a maintenance perspective when do you guys do the walnut blaster service for a n54 ? (at what mileage or after how many years ? ) Mark does not talk about this in his guide or maybe he uses a different term for this. Apparently you need a special tool to do this and not all Indy shops do it. Costs about $500 i think at the dealer. thanks

60k mi is the rule o'thumb.

DIY

$600 dealer service.

Best: Use boroscope to evaluate; do when needed.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

DIY

$600 dealer service.

I'm at 64k. I may consideer having my Walnuts Blasted. They certainly look brand new once they are clean. I'm really surprised that I haven't read about that process before.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

DIY

$600 dealer service.

Thanks CALWATERBOY
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
I had never heard of a "Walnut Blaster" service until now. I found this thread, and the guy seems very happy with the results.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-*pics-inside*
great link. Never saw this when i googled. thx
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
I just did mine yesterday. What a pain by hand but my car is back now. before it would misfire when I put my car in 5th at 35mph and then press the gas to about 75% and let it pull to 70mph.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I'm at 54K miles and most of that is hiway. I have a borescope and plan to check this out in a few months. I do plan to go to 70K miles if the intake valves look good. Otherwise I will pull the intake and do the walnut blasting. This has been around for over 2 years now and is caused by oil vapor blow by under both vacuum and boost from the PCV. BMWs version leaks some and there is another source of a better valve that has been produced but works only for boost. Under vacuum the oil vapor still gets by. I don't know how much gets by under vacuum and I hope to be able to take some pics with my borescope to see how bad it looks. I have not run the piss out of my 335, that is what my M3 is for so I don't know how typical I would be as a driver.

RBturbo.com is the person supplying an alternative. I bought one and will install it when I do the intake valves...