BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Streaking Windshield Wipers

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jonohio 
#1 ·
OK, this is driving me crazy lately: the driver side windshield wiper leaves a broad streak right smack in the middle of my field of vision. I've changed the blades, cleaned the windshield thoroughly, and tried RainX, to no avail.

The attached pictures aren't the best in the world, but you can kind of see the problem.

What gives?! Anyone know how to solve this, or what's causing it?

I'm speculating that the tension spring that pushes the wiper arm against the windshield is probably just losing tension due to age/use, but if that's the problem, is there an adjustment or fix for it? Surely I'm not the only one having this problem!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you saying that is what your windshield looked like right after you used the wiper???

#3 ·
I took these pictures a moment or two after I shut off the car. There was a light drizzle that day, and the rain drops highlights the pattern where the streaking occurs. My iPhone couldn't capture it well enough to show the actual streak.

Basically, as the wiper goes to the left the window is nice and clear, but on the return stroke to the right it leaves a water smear about 4" wide right smack in my field of view.

I did a google search yesterday and found a bunch of people suggesting some Bon Ami and elbow grease, followed by an alcohol wipe down. Tried that last night and just now drove in the rain again, with improved but not perfect results. I'll give it another round tonight.

I'm still wondering about the spring tension in the wiper arm.

#4 ·
This may be stupid question but how old ate your wipers? Are the OEM or did you get them at an auto store? May be as simple as new wipers

#5 ·
This may be stupid question but how old ate your wipers? Are the OEM or did you get them at an auto store? May be as simple as new wipers
Just replaced them last week, and ones I just removed were only three months old. I'm using the Rain-X ones, at $22 each, so they aren't cheap ones, either. I've also used the Bosch blades, with the same results.

#7 ·
Too much rain-x.I went through this on most of my windshield.Tried everything known to man and google search.Finally came across the best stuff ever for windshield cleaning.I tried Zanio,Bon Ami ,lighter fluid etc.No touch auto glass stripper!!!!Amazon said not currently available,my heart sunk.Search silicon remover.Found its made by Permatex.Napa carried it.they didn't have it on the shelf but ordered it and had it that day.

#8 ·
I happen to have some of that in my garage! I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

#9 ·
I have the same issue on my car. I have an 04 530i with 153k and the windshield has quite a lot of road rash (knicks and mar no chips though) that affect my wipers. If you wipe you hands across your windshield and you feel any knicks or bumps then that may be affecting the blade's swipe.

Jonathon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.