Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 11-10-2013, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Why pick 640d Gran Coupe instead of 535d?

I am thinking about whether to order either the 640d Gran Coupe which is about 14k more expensive than the 535d. Both models look nice to me and perhaps the 640d looks a bit nicer (with a smaller boot).

I can spec either model up to the same config in terms of options, etc.

So can anyone suggest why I might pick a 640d Gran Coupe? is the price premium only down to the better looks?

TIA

Dave
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
#1. It drives better: The 6er drives better than a 5. The engine has been tuned differently and the center of gravity is lower which enables the 6er to handle better.

#2. Financially, it may make more sense if you are able to pull it off: If you are into leasing, the 6er can turn out to be cheaper per month (or total amount paid over the period of the lease) than the 5. This is because of 2 primary reasons: The interest rates are often much lower than a 5 and the discounts are much larger. I have a 2013 640i (leased in Aug 2013) with an MSRP of $91845 and I pay $810 per month plus sales tax of 8.75% for a 36 month lease with 12,000 miles per year (this is with a 0 down payment or cap reduction, this was not a demo, it had 7 miles upon delivery). A comparable car would have been a 2013 535i which when equally loaded with the options that I have, would have cost me about $850 per month plus sales tax.

#3. It looks much superior: The exterior as well as interior looks way better. The materials used are superior. The entire image is a class above and very tasteful. People who own a 5 may aspire to own a 6 but it usually not the other way around.

Disclaimer: I have a 2013 640i (V6 - 315HP) and a 2011 528i (V6 - 240HP to the best of my memory).

PS: I pay about $75 every 6 months extra on insurance in comparison to if I had an equally loaded 535i.

Last edited by shogunman; 11-12-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Update