Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: range rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
Cross reading from F30 forum searching on ACC Forward Collision Warning...
How does this system perform under the sudden fog scenario (camera based vs radar), would it be able to pick up the sudden stopped traffic and brake in time?

Also just wondering if the icon changes to a person, or a deer if that's what's in front of you...
Can Forward Collision Warning avoid pedestrians? (someone running across a road)

I am yet to get to a point where it needs to brake for me, I have gotten to stage 2 where it beeps but I am usually already braking at that time.

To get pedestrian warnings you will need the night vision camera, forward collision only warns you if you are getting too close to another car.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GC 2010 Maserat
Quote:
How does this system perform under the sudden fog scenario (camera based vs radar), would it be able to pick up the sudden stopped traffic and brake in time?

Also just wondering if the icon changes to a person, or a deer if that's what's in front of you...
Can Forward Collision Warning avoid pedestrians? (someone running across a road)
I have an F06 with ACC and lane departure. It responds exactly as noted in the first message on this thread. First, a red car icon shows up on the dash and heads-up display, followed by a rapid beeping sound, followed by hard brake application. I do not know how well this system will respond in fog as I have not been in that situation in heavy fog. The pedestrian warning only shows up on the I-drive screen when you have the night vision turned on (with headlights on). You can have the car coded to keep the night vision/pedestrian detection always on in the background (without headlight on) and then it will show the pedestrian warning in the heads-up display night or day.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: E61,F10 530xd, E39 525D
Quote:

I have F10 with ACC, Forward Collision warning and speed limit info ( so I have radar and camera installed ) . Today during really heavy raining with ACC an FCW On, car says , that FCW system is deactivated due to bad conditions. ACC still remains On.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 PM
2014 328i M Sport

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i
Did anyone find out if the collision warning includes braking if you don't have ACC? Just got a 2014 328i M-Sport with the Driver Assistance Plus package. I have seen the visual HUD warning but not sure if I have the braking feature...the dealer didn't know. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM

I had a close call the other day in traffic and the car did hit the brakes first, even though I wish it didn't. I do have ACC but it doesn't seem like it had anything to do with ACC, it was the FCW that did everything.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: Hawk
Collision Warning System

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I had a close call the other day in traffic and the car did hit the brakes first, even though I wish it didn't. I do have ACC but it doesn't seem like it had anything to do with ACC, it was the FCW that did everything.
Just curious--what do you mean you wish it didn't?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Hey Guys,

Close to pulling the trigger on a 650 coupe, and don't see forward collision warning mentioned in the specs. I am going for the Sport Edition which has the driver assist Pkg. Is it standard on the 2013 forward?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: Hawk
captainbtj/mrjoed2:

5AL (Active Protection) is standard on F06/12. It uses stimuli such as heavy braking, over/understeer, rollover and some chassis sensors to detect a potential crash. This results in some pre-crash measures (such as seat, headrest and seatbelt adjustments, window and sunroof closure). It does brake, but recognize that braking is post-crash (i.e. after impact) to prevent further crashes. It does not include a "Froward Collision Warning."

5AS (Active Driving Assistant) is part of ZDB (Driver Assistance Plus) Package, which on a 650 (but not 640) is part of the ZMS (M Sport Edition): 5AS uses the additional cameras for LDW to enhance the detection of an impending crash to provide the protection mentioned above AND includes a "Forward Collision Warning." It can brake and can provide brake support with sudden braking in addition the visual then audible pre-collision warnings.

5AT (ACC S&G + ADA)--optional--enhances the system even further by trumping the detection process using the built-in ACC radar. This also includes FCW as above and includes earlier braking as part of the ACC S&G mechanism when activated.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjd View Post
captainbtj/mrjoed2:

5AL (Active Protection) is standard on F06/12. It uses stimuli such as heavy braking, over/understeer, rollover and some chassis sensors to detect a potential crash. This results in some pre-crash measures (such as seat, headrest and seatbelt adjustments, window and sunroof closure). It does brake, but recognize that braking is post-crash (i.e. after impact) to prevent further crashes. It does not include a "Froward Collision Warning."

5AS (Active Driving Assistant) is part of ZDB (Driver Assistance Plus) Package, which on a 650 (but not 640) is part of the ZMS (M Sport Edition): 5AS uses the additional cameras for LDW to enhance the detection of an impending crash to provide the protection mentioned above AND includes a "Forward Collision Warning." It can brake and can provide brake support with sudden braking in addition the visual then audible pre-collision warnings.

5AT (ACC S&G + ADA)--optional--enhances the system even further by trumping the detection process using the built-in ACC radar. This also includes FCW as above and includes earlier braking as part of the ACC S&G mechanism when activated.
Thanks very much - exactly what I was looking for. BMW does not mention the FCW at all on their website under ADA or in any brochures. Glad to know the 650 Sport edition get it.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjd View Post
Just curious--what do you mean you wish it didn't?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

It hit the brake hard then let go, I didn't expect it and my reaction was to slam on the brake.

There wasn't anything wrong with what it did, it just didn't need to do it. My foot was already on the brake and I would have been fine.

I was just worried about the car that was behind me, it ended up being ok though.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 / '13 Cayenne D
Hi, I just posted this in another thread I was following and I thought it could be helpful here as well as at least for me it was not 100% clear how each system works. Apologies if this is redundant, but at least for me, now it's very clear. Here it is

So, there are two types of collision warning:

#1: Collision warning WITHOUT braking function which it is part of the Driver Assistance Plus package. This is camera based and uses the same camera used for the LDW.

#2: Collision warning WITH braking function and for this one you need, in addition to Driver Assistance Plus, ACC with Stop & Go. This one is radar based. The system uses the same radar for the Adaptive Cruise Control and this one DOES HAVE a braking function.

The text below is copied from the document where I read this information:

"In contrast to Collision Warning with braking function, the camera-based collision warning system (5AS) does NOT automatically apply brake intervention. The acute warning does not relieve the driver of their responsibility to adapt their driving speed and driving style to the road and traffic conditions."

Hope this helps!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
You have to look hard into this. BMW websites and user manuals say one thing but the implementation may not match. Attached is an example for the MY 2014 5 series LCI. The user manual says "the intervention can bring the vehicle to a stop". On the web, the description of ConnectedDrive for when cruise control is not activated, says: ". If you do not respond by braking, your BMW will react and brakes for you."
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...tiveprotection

But in the MY 2014 5 Series LCI Technical Manual, there's a chart showing that the 5 series did not get "Forward Collision with Braking Latest Version" that brakes to a standstill. It indicates it only does the hard braking.

You may want to dig into it on the 6 series. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT-Manual-Braking.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	406742   Click image for larger version

Name:	5LCI_technical_manual.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	406743