Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
I agree. I think the 6er has a long lasting appeal to it. I really loved my 07' 650i coupe in Monoco Blue. If she would not have given me the problems she had I woudl still have her today. I really loved the looks and the way she felt on the road. Good luck to those of you that hold on to them. They are beautiful. I just worry abou the electronic dependancy not lasting as long as the car does. If they develop a replaceable control system for the car I can see that car lasting a very long time.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Hold d'up What a min!!!! We need medication (We!! Me included)...Let's see...We know the engine has issues, expensive repairs ($3000 min), mpg 15-19...We can not walk away!! What the H#*#*# is wrong with us lol!! I love my baby (Crack head!!)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldes View Post
Where can you buy this 100k warranty on an 07 BMW if I may ask?
Hi, my name is Dacey and I'm wth autoPOM!, we represent Mercury Select. I'd be more than happy to run you a quote. If you do a quick search you will see we have many satisfied customers on this forum. Feel free to send me an email with your info; state you live in/year/make/model/mileage/vehicle purchase date. You can email me at dacey@auto-pom.com or give me a call at (800) 724-8141 ext. '8'.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Dacey Bashaw
autoPOM!
dacey@auto-pom.com
(800) 724-8141 ext. '8'
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacey@auto-pom.com View Post
Hi, my name is Dacey and I'm wth autoPOM!, we represent Mercury Select. I'd be more than happy to run you a quote. If you do a quick search you will see we have many satisfied customers on this forum. Feel free to send me an email with your info; state you live in/year/make/model/mileage/vehicle purchase date. You can email me at dacey@auto-pom.com or give me a call at (800) 724-8141 ext. '8'.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Dacey Bashaw
autoPOM!
dacey@auto-pom.com
(800) 724-8141 ext. '8'
Hey, I better get a finders fee if you bring in any policies
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 ci convertible
Hello All,
I love this car but my wife wants to sell her. We currently have 67000miles and its a 2005. We have approx. 7000 miles of aftermarket warranty( GE WARRANTY) left. She wants the new Infinity qx56 truck. Our two drive around vechicles are a 2004 Maxima and a 2010 Mazda3. The only major problems we had was that vert top malfunction,replaced smg hydraulic pump ,steering pump and a new battery. Everything was covered by the warranty except the battery. The good thing is nobody wants to buy a vert in the winter months but when the spring comes oh boy!

Blake
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
BM6er

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
Keeping my baby! There is no way that I would give up my second child. lol
Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 AM

Trade the Mazda. Keep your vert. Once you give it up she'll never let you back into something like it. Do you really want two car payments for 3 japanese cars. Nothing wrong with asians (I married one) and I've owned plenty of thier cars, they are actually very good. But three of them? When, right now you have one of THE premier cars made in '05 (short of super cars). Everyone has a Japanese car, many have a BMW, not many have a 6er. Every time I sit in my coupe I am blown away by something, the seat (by far the most comfortable car I've ever sat in), the power, the cornering, the HUD...
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci 2005 Convertibl
Larry you should know this is NOT a 3 series. You 3 was a tank and almost indestructible. This one is a diva. Having said that I am keeping my 645 for at least 3 more years. I have fixed everything it seems in the last 4 years and feel like if I just paid for a boob job and a face lift I am going to date her for a while longer. New transmission (CPO) was a nice bonus too. Great car and if it costs my 3k per year in repairs at this point is it still cheaper than a $299 lease for a Nissan Altima or Hyundai something or other.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
I plan on keeping mine. It's a 2004 645 Vert with 80 something thousand miles.

Saving grace right now is my job has me posted in Asia so Labor is dirt cheap. Good labor I might add. Haven't had a warranty since around 2008. Any of the super expensive repairs will be done here before I come back stateside even if it doesn't need it at the time. Valve covers, Alt O-Ring, Coolant pipe, etc. etc.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Keeping!

I purchased my 645 ci a few years ago after my 325I was totaled in an accident, and it currently has 68k on it. I also purchased extended warrenty which should last me untill 100k.. So far, the radiator cap broke (which was not covered by my warrenty) and my alternator appears to be broken at the moment..

At the moment im all about keeping and fixing my baby up!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Any of the super expensive repairs will be done here before I come back stateside even if it doesn't need it at the time. Valve covers, Alt O-Ring, Coolant pipe, etc. etc.
Nice
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: s54 M Coupe, e63 650i 6mt
I traded my CPO e92 335i (with a year left on warranty) for my '06 650i 6 speed manual a couple months ago and haven't looked back. No warranty on the new car but with only 40k miles I'm not too concerned. I turn all my own wrenches so the worst I should have to deal with is the coolant pipe, and even then it shouldn't be for a long time. No problem!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 650
I chose this thread to bid farewell from posting on this board. It has been a great ride with the 2006 E63 650. Car was super dependable, dealer experience was great and I got a lot of compliments over the years. For the first 6 years and 70K miles car was a dream.

With that said I could sense that the car was starting to "wear-out". Transmission was starting to get the occasional 1st gear clunk (when it NEVER had that clunk for the first 6 years) and everything felt like it was getting loose (transmission mounts, motor mounts, shocks / struts etc.).

I did not have an extended warranty beyond the BMW standard new car warranty and even though I rolled the dice without coverage, I did not get burned. The only repair needed between years 4 and 6 was replacement of the thrust arm bushings for ~$500 at 60K.

In November 2012 at the 6.5 year mark and 75K miles, I had a coolant leak from small hose on top of radiator and an oil leaking vacuum pump, but I did not fret because replacement of those two items was only ~$750 in one day at my trusted indie. I was not deterred by these repairs because as a daily reader of this board I knew they were common fail items for an E63 of this vintage.

But, in December of 2012 the heater stopped working. It was pretty easy to tell when the system stopped working as that car was C-O-L-D and only blew cold air (A/C worked fine as I tested it as part of trouble-shooting)...possible blend door problem or some such. Final straw was when I found car was leaking oil from driver's side of motor about 1 week later. Several drops per night in a 6 inch radius. I assume this was probably VC gaskets based on drip pattern on motor / floor.

I concluded that sticking to the BMW maintenance schedule (which resulted in annual oil changes at ~12K miles) had taken it's toll on the seals and gaskets as has been discussed ad nauseum. That combined with the age of the car, the aforementioned "looseness" and the prospect of more repair bills and down time caused me to research a new car. My conclusion, buy another new BMW 650!

As I went through all my old repair receipts I saw that I had several typical repairs under warranty that are frequently discussed on this board. The tranny sleeve problem resulting in new pan / gasket, oil leak around temp sensor, cracked washer fluid tank. Replaced steering angle sensor, replaced CCC when car would not accept re-programming.

So, I am moving to the F13 6-series board from now on. I sold the ice-cold oil-leaking 650 to Carmax last week. For several weeks I had the E63 and the F13 parked next to one another in the garage. As different as the 2 cars are, they are remarkably similar in proportion and function. They looked good next to each other and it was apparent that they are related...maybe not twins but certainly brothers.

It's funny how complicated the E63 seemed when we got it....it's funny how simple it seems when compared to the F13....progress.......cheers to all who remain here. I was sad to see the car go as it was driven off by a lot-boy

Later,

JamesA
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
I have CPO until 2015, then it's bye bye baby. Won't make the mistake of owning a high end bmw out of warranty again...

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
I concluded that sticking to the BMW maintenance schedule (which resulted in annual oil changes at ~12K miles) had taken it's toll on the seals and gaskets as has been discussed ad nauseum. That combined with the age of the car, the aforementioned "looseness" and the prospect of more repair bills and down time caused me to research a new car. My conclusion, buy another new BMW 650!

Later,

JamesA
Congrats on the new car, I think it is a great choice to move on, especially to the F13.

I have read people talk about how they think problems with their BMW are related to previous owners not maintaining the vehicle. I don't understand this at all, the first 4 years the maintenance is covered for free by the dealer? I am not sure how changing the oil faster than the recommended schedule will make the well known leaky seals not occur? Or keep the mechatronic sleeve from leaking, or the steering angle sensor from failing, or the washer pump from crapping out. Honestly I think this is just BMW owners making excuses for the failure of a brand they don't want to admit is poorly made. Just blame it on some previous owner who did not do some magic maintenance that would make the car last longer. I just want to know what preventive maintenance would stop leaks and failures from happening!

BMW makes a very solid engine, it is bulletproof and won't fail, but everything attached to it is prone to failure and the seals last less than any car I have ever owned! My car has 50k miles and is already leaking. My 107k mile Jeep Wrangler that is 13 years old doesn't have one leak and I have NEVER touched anything on it. My BMW has been in the shop more than any car I have ever owned, and I bought it after one owner who had leased it for 3 years.

My CPO just expired 4 months ago, I am keeping the car for a bit longer, but if I start having frequent failures I will dump it and move on to the next vehicle. I love this car, as I have said before, the best car I have ever driven and the worst car I have ever owned...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 650 ic
I love my car, warranty was over 3 years ago...knock on wood thing are ok..new water pump, transmission fluid change and pan......new tire and brakes, oil change....115k now. I drive a lot.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi! I sold my 6 series for much the same reasons, I got to 80K + miles with only the brakes causing me any real pain, but finally resolved. Did not have any leaks whatsoever in all the time of ownership (correction very minor an easy to fix one of!).
What did cause me to decide was the roulette wheel of ownership, I really did not want to be hit with big bills, in the UK our costs are nearly 1/2 0r at least 1/3rd more expensive to repair each and every problem than say the States or Canada. So the decision to move becomes easier.
The problem with the BMW 6 series is that the cost of failure is disproportionally high, when things break it is mega bucks with high degrees of difficulty, which when you purchase the car initially is not part of the thought process, but sadly becomes abundantly clear later in ownership.
With this in mind I think BMW is building a bow wave of discontent which takes years to develop but once it hits the brand, they will wish they had done things differently!!!!
All this said I think you have chosen an excellent car F13, hopefully it will not suffer the same issues as the E63/64, will pop into that forum to see hows things develop!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
I have 6 months of CPO warranty left on my baby. With only 57k miles, I'm wondering if I should find a good aftermarket warranty or hope for the best.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
This is my fourth BMW, but my first 6. I will never go back to another model and plan on driving this one "until the wheels fall off". So glad I didn't go with the E550!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: E63/2007 650i Cabrio SMG
OK "6' ERS" Here is my testimony....LOL

I purchased from a dealer online my '07 E63 650i SMG back in April 2012. With 48k miles for $32k was floored at the value. So....I had it shipped to Virginia to wait me coming home July 3, 2012. Independence Day at it's finest right! Well I drove to Atlanta, GA and one night saw some guys in like a "bimmer club" just parked and chilling. I friended one guy. The next day I was driving and got a Transmission Fault..yeap...Vicki over heated on me and the sensors went out in the middle of street. I was sooooooo embrassed. I had to cancel a date with a young lady I met that night with a monaco blue M3 convertible.

When I first got it, I had it checked out at a dealer. Bent rims, power bushing, and new tires(Continental All weathers), and a radiator mount....about $3k of work. I use ROYAL PURPLE OIL. I currently have 67k miles. I hate the fact I left my 99 Nissian Altima with my brother in Virginia and have to drive Vicki daily. But the miles I drive to and from work are highway miles of about 35 miles daily. No, I don't have a Warranty. It ran out just as I bought the car. I wanted to see how things went for the first year of ownership. So far so great. No real trouble.

I love my 6. It really sets the feel for me while on the road. I think that if you are the type of owner that can appreciate your 04---09 6 Series then love it like the first day you got it. Yes, we have back up cars to drive and some of us drive our beautiful machines daily. Either way, loyalty is the key. Loyal to a brand and experience is our cause and motivation as being one of the biggest dogs on the road. Our roadsters make the statement all other luxury sports car want to make. I say keep the road flooded with 640--650's in our model years to show others that BWM still is classy and modern for 2013. As long as we take care for our investment in the cars we own, that personal satisfaction will always be there everytime you start the engine, or simply want to excellerate from 30 to 80 mph in 5 sec. around a Benz or some other driver that thinks he/she can bully you on God's gift to all cars, but mainly for the Ultimate Driving Machines! BMW 6series Coupes and Roadsters!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
My 2006 650i has been low maintenance so far. With 62K miles, I have gone through tries and oil changes. There were of course, several recalls completed on the car. But today, while in for an oil change, I got the dreaded early phone call from SA with the news of the vacuum pump leaking oil. $700 just like that. Oh well, guess I'm still in the low maintenance territory. Want to keep her longer, but my threshold for a trade-in is the $2000 mark on a major service incident. I may do the plugs soon based on other posts in the forum. I am not on an extended warranty as I average about 7500 miles per year on this one. Fingers are crossed.

2012 BMW 650i Coupe | Space Gray/Ivory White Leather
ZF 8-Speed∑Head-Up Display∑Premium Hi-Fi∑Luxury Seating∑Sport Pkg∑BMW Apps

Retired:
2006 BMW 650i Coupe
2002 Porsche 996 Coupe
2000 Porsche 996 Coupe
1998 BMW 540i-6
1997 Audi A4
1994 BMW 530i
1990 Acura LS
1985 BMW 325e
1983 Lancia Zagato
1982 BMW 320i
1980 Triumph TR7
1970s Vespa Grande Moped
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Michael

As a person who sold his 645Ci before any major issues (nearly 12 months ago), changing it for a Z4 (bad mistake) and now the owner of a Mercedes E class Cab 350CDi, what are my thoughts now?????
Well I really miss the 6 series on so many levels, to numerous to mention within this thread!! Not unhappy with my Mercedes But!!! It is not a 6 Series.
I wanted a 2011+ new model 6 series but the price was outside of what I wanted to lay out in cash, I could have bought another 650 no problem but would still have the potential for all of the issues described in so many threads on this forum for the N62 Engine and for this reason I do not regret letting it go as I will one day buy a later model and get back what was lost!!!!
PS could of bought a 635 (diesel) but it is the V8 that has all of the charm!!!
PPS So many of my friends associated me with the 645ci, never said anything when I had it, but now it has gone they said what a car!!!! Life aaargh.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: E64 650I CAB
Hi Guys

Last night you put the fear of BMW in me I could sleep, Should I keep her or let her GO! Should I buy a warranty? Should i continue doing her up!

From reading the posts I am truly scared!!! I have driven BMW's all my life but could this be the most unreliable BMW in history?

I need to think if my pockets are deep enough!

NOT HAPPY! Should of kept my M3
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinoxx View Post
Hi Guys

Last night you put the fear of BMW in me I could sleep, Should I keep her or let her GO! Should I buy a warranty? Should i continue doing her up!

From reading the posts I am truly scared!!! I have driven BMW's all my life but could this be the most unreliable BMW in history?

I need to think if my pockets are deep enough!

NOT HAPPY! Should of kept my M3
I feel your pain... The cost to maintain a 6 series is the direct result of "means-based" pricing tactics. I believe that just changing the gaskets could have probably stopped the leak on my vacuum pump, but how do you get a service advisor to do that for you when you are driving a 6?

That's the real problem with service. Having owned 3 Carreras, I know all about means-based pricing tactics.

2012 BMW 650i Coupe | Space Gray/Ivory White Leather
ZF 8-Speed∑Head-Up Display∑Premium Hi-Fi∑Luxury Seating∑Sport Pkg∑BMW Apps

Retired:
2006 BMW 650i Coupe
2002 Porsche 996 Coupe
2000 Porsche 996 Coupe
1998 BMW 540i-6
1997 Audi A4
1994 BMW 530i
1990 Acura LS
1985 BMW 325e
1983 Lancia Zagato
1982 BMW 320i
1980 Triumph TR7
1970s Vespa Grande Moped
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Michael

Just to add to the issue about keeping the 6 Series!!! To be candid the prices you pay for repairs in the States and to some extent Canada is significantly cheaper than here in the UK. Between 30-80% cheaper.
The prices on so many items you discuss on this forum are always cheaper, I think on a comparative basis I would have kept the car if my servicing costs (£ to $ ) were the same as you guys in the States.
The repair cost say for the coolant pipe here in the UK is approx £9k at a dealer and about £7k with an independent, this is for the pipe alone add in the costs of many of the oil seals then it is just beyond belief. The average warranty costs for a policy for the 6 series is £850 per annum, could be less subject to omissions!!!
When you add in the (yes it has to be mentioned) vehicle depreciation then many of the repair costs are often equal to and in many cases in excess of the value of the car!!!!!
So any decision about keeping the car becomes very simple here in the UK, Get Rid !!!!!
The sad fact is the 6 Series (and to some extent 7 Series) have a reliability problem within the N62 engine, which in the long term all but the wealthiest owners (and mechanical geniuses) can bare the cost of long term ownership.

Last edited by 645/333; 03-07-2013 at 01:11 PM.