Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix 2013 coupe
Help on deep scratch on 328xi coupe 2013 bumper

Hi!

So a few days ago someone backed into my car and made a huge scratch on it. I want to know if any of you had the same issue and how to fix it? Cus I've heard from people it might cost a few hundreds just to get it fixed and its only about a quarter coin size...quite deep tho the cut. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Stacy

Attached here is a picture of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	352151  
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
Scratch? Jack the Ripper inflicted less damage than that with his knife wielding skills.
I call that a hole. I have no idea what the fix would cost. For all I know the bumper needs to be replaced.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
That can be sanded down. Probably needs a little filler. Only that area will need to be painted, not the whole bumper. They'll blend in the new paint to the existing.. It will cost a few hundred dollars. Will be good as new when finished.

EDIT: If the other driver or his insurance is going to pay you for the cost of a professional repair, but you'd just as soon pocket the money and do a lesser repair, www.DrColorChip.com will probably yield a satisfactory result for a less than professional repair. I've used Dr. Color Chip and it works reasonably well.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Good to know! I didn't know that.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
That's a fill & paint..The entire bumper that is probably in the neighborhood of $350-500 for a quality job maybe less at some hack joint but wouldn't think you would travel that road,Good luck.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That can be sanded down. Probably needs a little filler. Only that area will need to be painted, not the whole bumper. They'll blend in the new paint to the existing.. It will cost a few hundred dollars. Will be good as new when finished.

EDIT: If the other driver or his insurance is going to pay you for the cost of a professional repair, but you'd just as soon pocket the money and do a lesser repair, www.DrColorChip.com will probably yield a satisfactory result for a less than professional repair. I've used Dr. Color Chip and it works reasonably well.
Without the entire bumper painted it will stick out like a sore thumb,Truth.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
your problem is its not solid black They need to spray 1-2 panels to blend the paint in so the repair will not stand out. With black paint they do not need to blend as black hardly fades and no blending is needed

Last edited by Leekay07; 12-06-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Without the entire bumper painted it will stick out like a sore thumb,Truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07 View Post
your problem is its not solid black They need to spray 1-2 panels to blend the paint in so the repair will not stand out. With black paint they do not need to blend as black hardly fades and no blending is needed
Not in my experience.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I bet the person that hit you kept going, has anyone had a note left on their car from someone dinging your car with their door?
I also bet people that ding other peoples cars and dont report it are also dont know they are commiting a crime call hit and run and it is punishable if you can find out who did it
I had someone ding my car, went inside the store and got them to let me look at the parking lot security cameras, got the plate number and reported it to the police
When I contacted her she said I was being an ASS but soon changed her tune when I told her its a crime and if she didnt cover my repair the police would be more than happy to visit her again and give her a ticket!

Food for thought

I cant stand people that are soo lazy to hit peoples cars with their doors
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
I had someone ding my car, went inside the store and got them to let me look at the parking lot security cameras, got the plate number and reported it to the police
Nice. I'm going to have to remember that idea.

One time I was driving by a neighborhood pool/tennis parking lot near my home and saw an SUV back into a parked car really hard. I got the plate # and left a note for the car owner with the info. Sheriff called a couple days later, told him what I saw. Few weeks later, car owner called to thank me. He was able to make a claim against the kids parents insurance and get his car fixed.

If I'd seen them leave a note I wouldn't have gone out of my way to get the info. Not that seeing someone leave a note means you know what they're writing....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car-note.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	352242  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Not in my experience.
Agreed. I have had more damage than this repaired 3 times (once on the 335i and twice on the Z4) and about 1/3rd of the bumper painted each time. I am pretty picky and was hesitate to allow the partial paint repair. However, I defy anyone to pick out the areas that are repaired. And TiAg is supposed to be one of the most difficult to match. Cost was $225 each time by the guy who fixes up the used cars on one of the local BMW dealership's used car lot. (Oops, I mean Pre-Owned cars.)

Last edited by LarkHouston; 12-07-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
One time I was driving by a neighborhood pool/tennis parking lot near my home and saw an SUV back into a parked car really hard. I got the plate # and left a note for the car owner with the info. ... Few weeks later, car owner called to thank me.
I did the exact same thing a few years back. It just rankled me that the offender was going to just drive off and I was not going to let her get away with it.

On a more positive note, happened to me very recently and the offender took responsibility, was super apologetic, and paid for the repair. In fact, the car is at the shop right now being fixed.