Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5 3.0si
BMW X5 Starting Problems - 4 mechanic's later HELP!

Hello all hoping I can find some ideas here as to what may be causing my issue.

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible...

2007 BMW X5 3.0si

Problem:
Car cranks but will not turn over in cool cold or rainy weather. After trying a few times sometimes 1-2, sometimes 9-10, the car will finally start. A couple times I've had it completely not start at all.

What's been inspected (as far as I know):
Fuel pump
Starter
Battery
Fuel pump wiring kit

Issues found and resolved:
2nd mechanic pulled codes for crank and cam sensor, both replaced with original BMW parts.
Last mechanic pulled the dash and found oil filling the computer module casing. Cleaned that out.

My main issue is that whenever it's at the mechanic they have a tough time finding out exactly what it is because the car will eventually start. Does ANYONE have ANY recommendations/possible solutions?? Thanks so much for any help or advice.
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
I remember the old days when camp weather could stop a car dead in it's tracks. The issues were almost always related to the ignition system. Not certain what you mean by "oil filling the computer module casing" as I have no idea what or where that might be but if it controls the ignition, it's probably the 1st place to start, right?

Obviously, just "emptying" something would not be sufficient as it would simply "fill up" again later, right? so what did they do to prevent that from occurring again? Sealed a connection? Replaced a component, etc? Why not simply take it to a BMW dealer rather than all the (obviously) pointless attempts with independent shops that obviously don't know how to properly diagnose it?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I remember the old days when camp weather could stop a car dead in it's tracks. The issues were almost always related to the ignition system. Not certain what you mean by "oil filling the computer module casing" as I have no idea what or where that might be but if it controls the ignition, it's probably the 1st place to start, right?

Obviously, just "emptying" something would not be sufficient as it would simply "fill up" again later, right? so what did they do to prevent that from occurring again? Sealed a connection? Replaced a component, etc? Why not simply take it to a BMW dealer rather than all the (obviously) pointless attempts with independent shops that obviously don't know how to properly diagnose it?
they tried to find the leak in the harness which lead to the oil but couldn't.

I took it to the BMW dealership 1st foremost, and they told me to come pick it up because they can't diagnose when the car starts. As I said it usually eventually starts.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Not sure if you got your issue resolved, but I experienced something very similar this week in our 2007 X5 4.8. Drove fine all day, went to a wedding, came outside an hour later and it wouldn't start. Would turn over, but wouldn't crank, like it was starved for fuel. Outside temp was about 40 degrees. I suspected the fuel pump. Returned the next day, a little warmer, and it fired right up.

Took it to the shop and they thought it was the fuel pump or the cam sensor. However, they couldn't replicate the problem and there were no real fault codes. They checked the pump and all the pressures were normal. There suspicion was the sensor, but suggested that we hold off on spending the money to replace as that might not resolve it.

Got it back and the same night we encountered the problem again. If finally cranked on the 5th or 6th try, so we took it back to the shop. The next morning it would turn over, but wouldn't crank. They tested the pump again, and this time the pressure was no good, so it was the fuel pump after all.
2010 335d (retired)
2013 MB GL 450 (wife's car)