Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to iLive4coupe$
Mein Auto: 650i
center console

for some reason my center console wouldnt open no matter how hard i pull the latch to open it (and yes im pulling the latch that closest to the driver side) idk if its jammed or wat . occasionally it would open and then as soon as i lock my doors n leave my car alone i come back i cant open the console again is getting annoying

mtec V3,19, m6 reps hid fogs, angel eye drl , full led interior, led license plate,led trunk light,matte black grill, black and white bmw roundels, matte black trim, black cup holder,painted tails, matte black shadow emblems, hyper white led corner lights, front resonator delete,
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
If I'm understanding your question, you aren't able to open the center console after you turn the car off and leave it, which is normal - the center console locks when the doors are locked so that you can store valuables there when you leave the car parked with the top down (I use that feature all the time). If it is still locked after you unlock the car and start it up, then there's a problem which I will leave to the experts to diagnose...

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
there is a key lock in the compartment at the rear of the centre console which is meant to be able to lock the front console when you have valet parking !!!!! this feature is on the coupe.

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Since it is happening intermittently perhaps the lock mechanism is sticking? I would try and get to it and lube it.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
If I'm understanding your question, you aren't able to open the center console after you turn the car off and leave it, which is normal - the center console locks when the doors are locked so that you can store valuables there when you leave the car parked with the top down (I use that feature all the time). If it is still locked after you unlock the car and start it up, then there's a problem which I will leave to the experts to diagnose...
yea its still locked after i unlock my car

mtec V3,19, m6 reps hid fogs, angel eye drl , full led interior, led license plate,led trunk light,matte black grill, black and white bmw roundels, matte black trim, black cup holder,painted tails, matte black shadow emblems, hyper white led corner lights, front resonator delete,
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
there is a key lock in the compartment at the rear of the centre console which is meant to be able to lock the front console when you have valet parking !!!!! this feature is on the coupe.
immma check that out right now thanks

Last edited by iLive4coupe$; 11-09-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 PM

update i tried the valet key method no luck at all still wont open this is crzy ! and i tried unlocking the car wit my spare remote im running out of options lol

any other ideas?

Last edited by iLive4coupe$; 11-09-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Ill meet up with you later if you not workin we figure it out im sure its something simple or completely fubar lol

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM

I'm having the same problem

I have a 2007 650i, and the center console/arm rest is no longer opening without a lot of effort. When it is open, I verified that pulling the left hand lever causes the latch to move as if it is disengaging. I have not used the valet feature in the rear drink holder for some time, so it sounds like there may be something going on with the locking mechanism.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've got a coupe so I really don't need the locking mechanism on the compartment anyway.

Thanks!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	459798  

Last edited by rking5150; 08-21-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible 2004
stupid question but have you checked the fuse,and when you turn the key lock do you hear anything,you should hear a mechanism doing something ??
Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Not a stupid question -- I haven't checked the fuse, but the other locking features look like they are working. I'm going to play with the valet lock tonight to see if something is getting stuck. I know the "click" you're talking about.

The funny thing is that I never knew that the compartment locked when the vehicle was locked. That explain why after I get it opened (after fighting with it for a bit) it stays unlocked while I'm in the car, but gives me trouble when I get back in the car after it's been locked. Those Germans think of everything!!!

Last edited by rking5150; 08-21-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking5150 View Post
Not a stupid question -- I haven't checked the fuse, but the other locking features look like they are working. I'm going to play with the valet lock tonight to see if something is getting stuck. I know the "click" you're talking about.

The funny thing is that I never knew that the compartment locked when the vehicle was locked. That explain why after I get it opened (after fighting with it for a bit) it stays unlocked while I'm in the car, but gives me trouble when I get back in the car after it's been locked. Those Germans think of everything!!!
mine sometimes has a mind of its own i'll turn the key and nothing happens and then it seems fine,my issue right now is with the trunk when i pull the logo the trunk doesn't open unless i use the key fob or press the trunk release button i'm not sure if its related to the valet lock,i haven't had the time too look into it but will soon
Old 08-21-2014, 06:16 PM

i didn't know my car had an alarm system when the top is down and doors are locked,the other day i put my arm in the car and all hell broke loose kinda neat feature,it seems everytime i get in this car you find a feature thats not in the book
Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 AM

I played with the valet lock last night, and I could hear the locking mechanism moving as I turned the valet key. But it still seems to be sticking.

I have a great solution, though -- I have a coupe, so I dropped a golf tee into the hole that the arm rest latches. Yeah, a redneck solution, but at least it opens when I want to!

I'll have BMW look at it next time I'm in the shop ... I can only imagine what they will charge to fix that!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrex View Post
i didn't know my car had an alarm system when the top is down and doors are locked,the other day i put my arm in the car and all hell broke loose kinda neat feature,it seems everytime i get in this car you find a feature thats not in the book
That one is in the book, at least it is in my manual downloaded from BMW for my '06 650. The cabin motion alarm is present in both the coupe and the convertible, on the vert it says in the manual that it only scans up to the top of seat cushions.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM
No espresso cup holders?

Mein Auto: BMW 530xiT
This may not be the issue and I am not familiar with the locking system on the recent model 650, but this is what I was told when I picked up my x5 at the Performance Center.

You must push "down" on the cover slightly and then at the same time squeeze the catch before trying to lift up the console cover. The reason for this (as explained to me with a slight smile) is that they found that someone gripping the center armrest while the car was accelerating hard would tend to have the armrest cover release and unintentionally and fly open.

2012 X5 35d Deep Sea Blue, Nevada Cinnamon Interior, Bamboo Trim, NAV, Comfort Seats, Adaptive Drive, etc. etc.

2008 650i convertible, Black w. Saddle Interior, fully loaded including Head-up (Wow!)

Last edited by EGL; 01-21-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGL View Post
This may not be the issue and I am not familiar with the locking system on the recent model 650, but this is what I was told when I picked up my x5 at the Performance Center.

You must push "down" on the cover slightly and then at the same time squeeze the catch before trying to lift up the console cover. The reason for this (as explained to me with a slight smile) is that they found that someone gripping the center armrest while the car was accelerating hard would tend to have the armrest cover release and unintentionally and fly open.
Thanks. I'll give that a shot! That has to beat the sunglass cloth that I have lodged between the cover and the catch ...