Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMwizkid View Post
Quote:
i have not installed the refresh kit yet.. its on its way.. and i dont know that it is failing but i know that the vibration cannot be doin any good at all for it
That makes more sense. Before I thought that your water pump was new. As said above just add the fan and fan clutch to your order and your car will be fix. One last thing ZeGerman knows what he is talking about I would heed his warning.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
i have not installed the refresh kit yet.. its on its way.. and i dont know that it is failing but i know that the vibration cannot be doin any good at all for it
yeah the vibrating is an indication that your fan unbalanced cause its missing a a blade or 2.

driving like that will kill you water pump for sure

-Dino
Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible
Sounds like your fan clutch is failing and you should replace the fan blades and clutch.

This sounds like a recipe to the exploding e36 fan.
I've choose do a FDM and replacement electric fan / switch is costly mod but good for people that have poor maintenance.
So far 2 years no problems.

Last edited by Kaptainkid1; 12-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
When you do the FDM you are deleting a relatively reliable belt driven fan that was designed to run all the time and do the primary cooling and substituting the auxiliary fan that was designed to run only as a back up to the belt driven fan or when your AC is on and you are stationary. Your aux fan is likely as old as your car and once it becomes the primary cooling source it dies pretty quickly and the cheapest replacement is about $200 bucks.