Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Luxury
Cold weather effects on tpms

So as the weather has gotten colder, sub 37. Deg, I have noticed that my tpms reports that the tire pressure is low on all my wheels every time I park the car for more than a Half-hour. To fix I have to drive the car a little bit and then reset the tpms and it is fine until I stop the car a while. So basically every time I go to work or come home I have to reset the tpms or live with the car telling me my tire pressure is low and pull over. I have checked the tire pressure and it is fine. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Low temperatures cause air pressure in tires to be lower. Driving causes the tires to warm up, thus raising the air pressure. Unless you find a way to alter the laws of physics that's the way it is. Put more air in your tires.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: AH-64D Apache
Nitrogen in your tires may be the answer. A lot of us in Colorado use it to prevent that fluctuation in tire pressure.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenit2 View Post
So as the weather has gotten colder, sub 37. Deg, I have noticed that my tpms reports that the tire pressure is low on all my wheels every time I park the car for more than a Half-hour. To fix I have to drive the car a little bit and then reset the tpms and it is fine until I stop the car a while. So basically every time I go to work or come home I have to reset the tpms or live with the car telling me my tire pressure is low and pull over. I have checked the tire pressure and it is fine. Has anyone else had this problem?
When you check the pressure, are you doing it when the tires are cold and the TPMS is reporting an issue? If so, what was the actual reading?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Yes, it's a pain the ass. The problem is that with BMW, it blocks other things from being displayed. With other manufacturers, if this happens, at least the tpms message doesn't block basic things like the clock. Btw, i'm talking about this from an E90 perspective. Don't know what it's like in the F30, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same.

Last edited by krash; 12-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Code your car and enable the display of actual pressure and temperature in the tires. I couldn't live without it.

TPMS shouldn't be that sensitive. Here in the Boston area, we've had temperatures all over the place lately -- from the high 50s F to the low 20s F. The only time I had a TPMS warning was the time a sharp piece of metal ruined a tire (which, fortunately, was replaced free under the road hazard warranty that comes with the car).
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Low temperatures cause air pressure in tires to be lower. Driving causes the tires to warm up, thus raising the air pressure. Unless you find a way to alter the laws of physics that's the way it is. Put more air in your tires.
I understand the basic issue, I was more concerned that there was something wrong with my car. I had a hard time believing that a car designed a manufactured in Bavaria would have a tpms that was so sensitive it couldn't account for variations in temp. I don't want to put more air in the tires when cold as when I start driving and the tire warm up it would be over inflated.

Thx to the posters who suggested nitrogen. I think I might try that.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I understand the basic issue, I was more concerned that there was something wrong with my car. I had a hard time believing that a car designed a manufactured in Bavaria would have a tpms that was so sensitive it couldn't account for variations in temp. I don't want to put more air in the tires when cold as when I start driving and the tire warm up it would be over inflated.

Recommended tire pressures are for cold tires. You're supposed to add air to the tires as the temperature drops. The tires warming up as you drive is not going to cause them to be over inflated.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Recommended tire pressures are for cold tires. You're supposed to add air to the tires as the temperature drops. The tires warming up as you drive is not going to cause them to be over inflated.
+1

I typically check mine in the AM after they've sat all night and top-off as needed. A couple PSI makes a difference.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
QFT. Add some air to your tires.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:

Stop by a Costco store and have someone at the tire shop check and refill your tires free of charge with nitrogen.

Lexus dealers charge a lot for nitrogen.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Byron

Mein Auto: BMW F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmcgraw View Post
Nitrogen in your tires may be the answer. A lot of us in Colorado use it to prevent that fluctuation in tire pressure.
Does that really make a difference considering that air is already around 78% N2 and I'm not aware of any way to evacuate all the air from a tire prior to filling it with N2 which means that even a nitro filling isn't going to end up much better than plain old air.

BTW, I'm just lurking while waiting for the F31 Touring to show up

BMW F31 Touring / Mineral White / Sport Line
Old 12-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: ~
The biggest difference is the nitrogen fill is without moisture, part of the process of filling the distribution tank with nitrogen.

Nitrogen in street tires is more show than go, but has some benefit.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM

So I decided to do simple first and just put more air in the tires. When I checked the air pressure cold I was surprised it had dropped to 24/26 lbs on the front and rear respectively. Filled to the recommended pressure of 32/35 two days ago and no problem since. I guess the tpms was not as sensitive as I thought, I was just not giving enough credit to the laws of science that say cold things contract. Lesson learned.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
It is about 1 psi for even 10F. So from 24 to 32 psi is only 80 degree temp difference. Plus, even a perfectly good tire will loose 1-2 psi per month. So long as they are loosing pressure evenly I just air them up to recommended pressure (when cold) and forget about it.