Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Run Flat Replacement Tire Thread

If you've replaced the OEM run flats on your F07, please share what you replaced them with in this thread. I know there are tire threads all over the place but one consolidated tire replacement thread would be helpful.

If you replaced the OEMs with run flats, include that as well.

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Well...lots of views and no responses so I'll go. I replaced my Goodyear LS2 Run Flats (245/50 R18) with P Zero Run Flats this weekend. My right rear blew out on the LIE Friday evening. I had 24700 on the tires and they needed to be replaced anyway but I'd rather have done it on my terms.

Let me say this about Run Flats. I drove home (about 22 miles) at 50mph or so with no trouble whatsoever. I was fully intending to ditch them for conventional tires but this experience turned me right around on that. Sure I know that the roads in the NYC area are not good for run flats and that probably had a lot to do with the blowout in the first place but I was really pleased with their performance in extremis. Now I just have to drive a bit more carefully in the winter with the P Zeros.

This was also my first time resetting the TPMS. If you haven't done it before, here's my experience so you don't freak out. Before you drive away for the first time on the tires, initialize/reset the TPMS. This might take more than a few minutes. After you stop/turn off the car for the first time after you've reset the TPMS, be prepared to see another alert suggesting you check the pressure again and reset the TPMS. The second alert freaked me out but it kind of makes sense to recheck the pressure and reset again.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Humm...I have two sets of tires, the OEM set and another with their own sensors and Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires...all I have to do is hit the reset once I've swapped and verified the pressure is correct. No extra alerts, or actions involved.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Humm...I have two sets of tires, the OEM set and another with their own sensors and Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires...all I have to do is hit the reset once I've swapped and verified the pressure is correct. No extra alerts, or actions involved.
I'll get to find out again. Just ordered a winter wheel and tire package.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Did you order the package from the dealer? I just finished getting a set from Tire Rack and saved myself over $2000 from what I would have paid at the dealer. Granted I was able to get $300 18-inch OZ "David" rims on clearance for $99 each (steel rims are at least $60 each) and chose Michelin Alpin RFTs at $300 each. They installed and balanced them for free. As I live in Ottawa, ON in Canada I paid the duty, customs brokerage fee, Ontario taxes, a small tire fee and UPS freight from South Bend, Indiana. Cost me less than $2500 which is the same on Canadian funds. From the day and time I placed my order until I came home to find them my garage door was six days to the hour. The recommended set from the dealer (with Pirelli RFTs) lists at $3800 plus 13% Harmonized Sales Tax. At best there is a 10% sale on last year's sets but none of which fits the GT of course.

I am not shilling for Tire Rack but was impressed at how easyit was to order and have shipped over the border. The big savings didn't hurt at all either.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM
figuring out my iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
Did you order the package from the dealer? I just finished getting a set from Tire Rack and saved myself over $2000 from what I would have paid at the dealer. Granted I was able to get $300 18-inch OZ "David" rims on clearance for $99 each (steel rims are at least $60 each) and chose Michelin Alpin RFTs at $300 each. They installed and balanced them for free. As I live in Ottawa, ON in Canada I paid the duty, customs brokerage fee, Ontario taxes, a small tire fee and UPS freight from South Bend, Indiana. Cost me less than $2500 which is the same on Canadian funds. From the day and time I placed my order until I came home to find them my garage door was six days to the hour. The recommended set from the dealer (with Pirelli RFTs) lists at $3800 plus 13% Harmonized Sales Tax. At best there is a 10% sale on last year's sets but none of which fits the GT of course.

I am not shilling for Tire Rack but was impressed at how easyit was to order and have shipped over the border. The big savings didn't hurt at all either.
No. Went with my local tire guy. Dunlop Winter Sports RFTs in 17" with a sport wheel. He threw in the storage.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Then, like me, you saved money over a set from the dealer. Here where I am, tire dealers can rarely, if ever, match Tire Rack. "Happy" winter motoring!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
figuring out my iDrive

One lingering horror story from my winter tire swap over. If you've got a 2011, make sure you know if it was a post September build because BMW apparently changed the operating frequency of the TPMS sensors in the late year build. I drove off with the wrong sensors installed in my winter tires and had the TPMS malfunction after a couple of miles. My tire guy figured it out, put the new (proper) sensors in and after driving around for 10 or so miles, the malfunction cleared and I was able to reset the TPMS.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Tire Rack had that question (on or after Sep. 2010) as part of their omline shopping process and now I know why. My GT was built the following month and my tire package had the correct TPMS installed. I loaded all the wheels in the GT's 64 cubic feet of cargo space(suitably protecting the interior where needed) and my dealer installed them as if I had bought them there.