Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Tire rotation - side to side

My 550 has the staggered wheel set up, so I know I can't rotate the tires front to rear. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires on right now (awesome tires, highly recommended!!), which are not directional. Does anybody have any feedback on whether I should be rotating left to right?

Keith
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
BMW will flat out tell you not to rotate tires. Having said that.....give it a try and report back. Let us know if everything worked out fine or did you shred you tires and have to buy new.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Rotating side to side isn't an issue. But it wouldn't just be rotating. You should also flip the tires around on the wheels. That would wear each tire more evenly throughout their life and also throw the tread pattern against the road correctly to channel water as the tires are intended. Or in your case since they are not necessarily directional, to not get any surprises in the rain with the new setup.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Frenchy

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
I was always taught to rotate tires: rear pass to front drive, rear drive to front pass, cris cross pattern basically. Of course if they are directional you can't do that, so I at least moved the rear to the front for each side
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Rotating side to side isn't an issue. But it wouldn't just be rotating. You should also flip the tires around on the wheels. That would wear each tire more evenly throughout their life and also throw the tread pattern against the road correctly to channel water as the tires are intended. Or in your case since they are not necessarily directional, to not get any surprises in the rain with the new setup.
The tires are not directional, but they do have an outside and an inside, so flipping them on the rims can't be done. America's Tire recommends this, and they'll do it for free. But, likely I'll just do it myself; gives me an opportunity to clean the inside of the wheels at the same time.

Any other thoughts?

Keith
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 View Post
I was always taught to rotate tires: rear pass to front drive, rear drive to front pass, cris cross pattern basically. Of course if they are directional you can't do that, so I at least moved the rear to the front for each side
Can't do that with these cars, the front and rear wheels are different sizes.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS550 View Post
BMW will flat out tell you not to rotate tires. Having said that.....give it a try and report back. Let us know if everything worked out fine or did you shred you tires and have to buy new.
America's tire recommends it. I'm thinking that BMW says don't do it because of the fact that the OEM tires are directional (if I'm remembering correctly), which makes it impossible.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
So the tires on the OP's car are asymmetrical, meaning there is an inside and an outside.
They are not directional, meaning they can rotate either direction.

I've heard some people say that once a tire is run a certain direction that you shouldn't change that. I'm not sure where it came from because as FrenchyRider mentioned, the traditional way to rotate tires was back to the front, front to the criss-cross back...or vice versa, front to the back, back to the criss-cross front. It didn't really matter as long as you were consistent with the pattern.

OP: my advice is to rotate side to side as you've suggested.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
America's tire recommends it. I'm thinking that BMW says don't do it because of the fact that the OEM tires are directional (if I'm remembering correctly), which makes it impossible.
Possibly. But even on my old e36 328 with all 4 tires the same size, the manual was very specific about not rotating. I believe it had to do with the different amounts of camber front and rear in the susppension setup.

But with the setup we have (I have the same car) perhaps side to side might be okay.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavet5308 View Post
So the tires on the OP's car are asymmetrical, meaning there is an inside and an outside.
They are not directional, meaning they can rotate either direction.

I've heard some people say that once a tire is run a certain direction that you shouldn't change that. I'm not sure where it came from because as FrenchyRider mentioned, the traditional way to rotate tires was back to the front, front to the criss-cross back...or vice versa, front to the back, back to the criss-cross front. It didn't really matter as long as you were consistent with the pattern.

OP: my advice is to rotate side to side as you've suggested.
I would say leave them as they are & not rotating them. I would not go changing the direction of wear. Also by switching from one side to the other you are potentially masking a failed or worn component in the suspension. Also if the tyre has worn unevenly across the width of the thread surely that would lead to performance issues, as in the tyre when fitted on the other (wrong side) side will, in theory not be sitting as evenly on the road. Surely that would mean reduced grip levels? At best it will just lead to tyre noise as the uneve tyre is forced to roll at "the wrong" angle.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Thanks for all of the opinions, guys. I've opened a new thread on the TireRack moderated section of this forum (probably where I should have put this in the first place!!) to get additional input, perhaps from the TireRack experts. That's not to say I don't appreciate your opinions as well, but figured I'd see what they've got to say as well.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Keith
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Our 330i has staggered setup and non directional Bridgestones. I do rotate side to side and see improved wear than my original OEM tires which began cupping really bad and creating road noise.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
Rotating your tires side to side will usually extend the life of your tires. Although you're not flipping them like some suggested or doing a full front-to-back rotation to spread the wear, you are allowing a change in the directional forces that impact the tires' longevity. I suppose how much more life you'll get from the tires is the million dollar question...

2006 550i
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
BMW does not recommend rotating the tires because, "unfavorable handling characteristics could be experienced" (Lawyer clause). So don't worry about what BMW states. The 550/545 will wear the insides if you don't have the camber dialed out of these cars(which that is a completely different topic).

You can rotate them right/left -> left/right but it will not prevent inside tire wear which I can assume you will begin to see. So there is really no benefit unless you turn one direction all the time then side to side rotation will help .

Your rubber has dedicated OUTSIDE of the tire so you cannot dismount the rubber and move it to to the other rim(making the right tire's inside become the the left tire's outside).

I used to swap sides on my staggered set every winter/summer swap and I still had crappy tire wear on my 545 and 550.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
BMW does not recommend rotating the tires because, "unfavorable handling characteristics could be experienced" (Lawyer clause). So don't worry about what BMW states. The 550/545 will wear the insides if you don't have the camber dialed out of these cars(which that is a completely different topic).

You can rotate them right/left -> left/right but it will not prevent inside tire wear which I can assume you will begin to see. So there is really no benefit unless you turn one direction all the time then side to side rotation will help .

Your rubber has dedicated OUTSIDE of the tire so you cannot dismount the rubber and move it to to the other rim(making the right tire's inside become the the left tire's outside).

I used to swap sides on my staggered set every winter/summer swap and I still had crappy tire wear on my 545 and 550.
i dismount my tires to get the insides to become the outsides and have had no problems.. on my ventus v12 evo's. i also adjust tire pressure constantly at different psi's and use nitrogen to prolong my tire life. and i get even tire wear across the whole surface of the tires...
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
i dismount my tires to get the insides to become the outsides and have had no problems.. on my ventus v12 evo's. ...
Can't do that on the Michelins. I think I've decided to do the side to side rotation, just haven't had the time to do it. Actually looking forward to doing it, will give me a chance to do a deep clean on the wheels at the same time.

Keith
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Can't do that on the Michelins. I think I've decided to do the side to side rotation, just haven't had the time to do it. Actually looking forward to doing it, will give me a chance to do a deep clean on the wheels at the same time.

Keith
Try the Ventus v12 evo good tire , I also had the negative camber reduced to minimal specs, and couldn't tell much difference in cornering, helped tire life,,,
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Try the Ventus v12 evo good tire , I also had the negative camber reduced to minimal specs, and couldn't tell much difference in cornering, helped tire life,,,
Just put the PSS on about 5K ago, so hopefully won't be in the market for a while yet. So far, haven't seen any abnormal wear, everything is wearing evenly. My OEM Contis lasted nearly 40K, and the only issue was cupping of the front tires that made them kind of loud.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Quote:
i managed to get 16K out of my Hankook v12s on the rear after I noticed yesterday that I'm showing belts in places. Not bad considering the standard camber settings. Now I'll have to fast-track my wheel and tire purchase just so I can drive the car again! I'm definitely getting the negative camber reduced...

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife)

Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
i managed to get 16K out of my Hankook v12s on the rear after I noticed yesterday that I'm showing belts in places. Not bad considering the standard camber settings. Now I'll have to fast-track my wheel and tire purchase just so I can drive the car again! I'm definitely getting the negative camber reduced...
Once u Reduce the camber,, the trick is to keep a good eye on the rears , as soon as u get close to the wear bar on the inside half, break the tires off the rims and shift them side to side...and it's like starting over cause the outside if the tires are now the inside it worked great for my car ,, and got double the tire life than if u don't rotate them and run the inside to shreds ,
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Yes that will work on some tires but not others. PS2's and PSS for example are directional as well as need to be mounted with the particular sides in and out. Yo do not want to mount the tire in a way which it was not designed. I cannot say that you will die if you do it but the handling characteristics may be completely changed and become unsafe.

Example
Ability to swap inside/outside
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...s+V12+evo+K110

vs

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ot+Super+Sport
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Yes that will work on some tires but not others. PS2's and PSS for example are directional as well as need to be mounted with the particular sides in and out. Yo do not want to mount the tire in a way which it was not designed. I cannot say that you will die if you do it but the handling characteristics may be completely changed and become unsafe.

Example
Ability to swap inside/outside
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...s+V12+evo+K110

vs

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ot+Super+Sport
Very good point,,