Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to chipmullins
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 328Cic
Sputtering 2002 BMW 325Ci Idle and Acceleration

I have a 2002 BMW 325Ci with 141,000 miles on it. The other day while I was driving to school I noticed that it was driving weird when I got up to about 55 MPH on the highway. It was a hesitant feeling and I thought it was the grooves in the road. Anyways, as I pulled into school, my car began to make a sputtering sound and shake. I immediately turned the engine off and went to class, thinking maybe it was a misfire or something of that nature. At the end of the day, I started the car and it started perfectly fine, but once it started, it began the sputtering again. I drove it to a gas station, filled it with 93 gasoline thinking maybe water got in the tank or something, and drove directly home.

Does anyone know what it could be? The Service Engine Soon light came on and we had it code read. The code said it needed a new O2 sensor. We drove the car to a place that works on cars and while driving up the mountain, I noticed that it wasn't as powerful as it once was. It used to breeze up the mountain, but this time it wasn't nearly as powerful. The mechanics installed the O2 sensor and it did NOT fix the issue. They are currently working on finding out what's wrong, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be. It's a sputter when idle and it has lost some of it's power. This is an automatic incase that matters.
Ads by Google
Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Get them (or u can w loaner gauge from autozone) to check fuel pressure at injector rail. 50psi at key on - primed and when idling. Could be a clogged fuel filter and/or dying fuel pump. That doesn't always throw a code.

Read the e46 wiki about misfires in the engine section. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8014505
You probably needed new o2s anyway. Recommended at 100k.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 02-17-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmx x5
Check the MAF sensor too located between the air filter housing and the intake manifold. In youtube you will find how to clean it.