Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Any opinions/pics on dark graphite over mocha?

Would be getting msport and the aluminum hex trim probably. Looks good in the configurator and in my head but real world pics would be appreciated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: German
The problem with mocha is that it is a very dark brown, not a saddle. It only really works with a metallic blue and white exterior. Silver/mocha and grey/mocha will clash.

Now if BMW offered a true saddle color, that would work on pretty much any exterior. Black, blue, white, grey, etc.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
The problem with mocha is that it is a very dark brown, not a saddle. It only really works with a metallic blue and white exterior. Silver/mocha and grey/mocha will clash.

Now if BMW offered a true saddle color, that would work on pretty much any exterior. Black, blue, white, grey, etc.
Hmmm. That's what my wife thinks too. Am also considering carbon black or imperial blue. But have black sapphire currently and was trying to get away from such dark colors. Don't like white.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Hmmm. That's what my wife thinks too. Am also considering carbon black or imperial blue. But have black sapphire currently and was trying to get away from such dark colors. Don't like white.

I've seen the Imp. Blue/Mocha combo on the F15 and it is really classy. That's what I'd personally order.

I'm not so sure about Carbon Black and Mocha. Both colors are too dark. Imperial works because it's a nice deep blue.

If you went Carbon Black, I think the Venetian Beige interior might be better suited. White works too, but I don't know how you feel about that.

It's dumb how you can't order the Cinnamon color in the MSport. That would work with your grey exterior.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M-Sport
I have carbon black and mocha, and love it. Carbon black sometimes looks blue and sometimes looks black. In both cases mocha goes very well. The mocha and black interior contrast also looks good. Plus, if you get M-Sport with black headliner you have a true two tone interior. If not M-Sport you will have a lighter (grey) headliner and thus three tone interior.
2009 Honda Accord V6
Retired:
2004 Honda Accord V6
2000 BMW 323i
Others

Last edited by 10BMW; 01-05-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I've seen the Imp. Blue/Mocha combo on the F15 and it is really classy. That's what I'd personally order.

I'm not so sure about Carbon Black and Mocha. Both colors are too dark. Imperial works because it's a nice deep blue.

If you went Carbon Black, I think the Venetian Beige interior might be better suited. White works too, but I don't know how you feel about that.

It's dumb how you can't order the Cinnamon color in the MSport. That would work with your grey exterior.
Yeah it is dumb. The other issue is that you can only get the nappa leather in oyster or mocha. Saddle or cinnamon would be perfect but you can't get those in nappa on the msport. Would feel stupid getting the same old black Dakota leather when the msport comes with a free nappa upgrade now.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5351
I'm sorry, but a lot of the commentary above is too limiting. Color is a very personal preference, and I think you're going to find that many posters disagree with AutoUnion's comments.

IMO, mocha looks terrific with many (if not most) exterior colors, including dark graphite.

If you want to see dark graphite over mocha, look here (it's gorgeous):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=74

And here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9787638...th/9716413021/

If you want to see carbon black over mocha, look at my own photos here (I can tell you that, of the more than 20 cars I've owned, absolutely none have elicited as much favorable comment about a color scheme as carbon black/mocha):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=51

Or another owner's photos here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=738701

Or here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...617&highlight=

2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package

Last edited by redhot47fla; 01-05-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
I'm sorry, but a lot of the commentary above is too limiting. Color is a very personal preference, and I think you're going to find that many posters disagree with AutoUnion's comments.

IMO, mocha looks terrific with many (if not most) exterior colors, including dark graphite.

If you want to see dark graphite over mocha, look here (it's gorgeous):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=74

And here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9787638...th/9716413021/

If you want to see carbon black over mocha, look at my own photos here (I can tell you that, of the more than 20 cars I've owned, absolutely none have elicited as much favorable comment about a color scheme as carbon black/mocha):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=51

Or another owner's photos here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=738701

Or here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...617&highlight=
Beautiful. Really tempted to go carbon black. I see you got wood trim. Any thoughts on aluminum hex?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Mocha Brown Nappa leather goes with all the exterior colors offered on the 5 Series IMHO.

If you think it goes well with black why wouldn't you or your wife think it goes well with a dark gray exterior?

I have Space Grey with Mocha and get compliments from everyone that sits in the car.

Remember, you'll be sitting in your car and you should buy an interior color that you like best- exterior color should be a secondary choice. You'll be enjoying the interior much more of the time than the exterior.

You're okay with a dark exterior, right? The Blacks are toughest to maintain, but DG is the second toughest. Handsome color when clean!

Regarding the lack of a saddle interior by someone, Amaro Brown Merino is a special order exterior that's a saddle color- handsome color.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
I respectfully disagree with the below comment.

Earlier this week, I was able to see White/Mocha and Space Gray/Mocha, side-by-side, doors open on a dealer's lot. To me, Mocha works better with Space Gray than with White. In fact, I'd say Space Gray/Mocha is a rather sublime combination and it's what "sealed the deal" for my F10 order. If I had wanted Dark Graphite, I'm pretty certain I would have liked the combination equally well.

Quote:

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT

Last edited by Robert A; 01-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
[QUOTE=bmw325;8057287]Hmmm. That's what my wife thinks too. Am also considering carbon black or imperial blue. But have black sapphire currently and was trying to get away from such dark colors. Don't like white.

I have Imperiel Blue with beige but would love the Mocca.

BTW Many bloggers have noted how popular Imperial Blue is and I often get people admiring the car and I think the colour is a factor,
Your choice
Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li X-Drive
I was thinking Carbon Black, but did not want another black car. I got Dark Graphite Metallic and am glad I did, car almost never looks dirty. Even in this nasty Chicago winter with the roads salty, still looks clean for days. The metallic paint makes it sparkle and people have come up to me and asked if the car is black.

DGM is now my favorite color, will never own black again.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: F10

Quote:
Silver/mocha and grey/mocha will clash
The LCI launch video put out by BMW has the car in Glacier Silver / Mocha

Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 AM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5351
Quote:
Beautiful. Really tempted to go carbon black. I see you got wood trim. Any thoughts on aluminum hex?

BMW325, I agonized the same way as you over both the exterior and interior colors. I'm prone to second guessing such things, but I got this one right - at least to my tastes.

If at all possible, get a good look at carbon black and a good look at mocha, even if in separate cars. Worry not about them going together - they do, if you're in the market for a darkish, elegant look, as I was.

Regarding aluminum hex, I've seen other posters say that it brightens the carbon black/nappa look, but I preferred the dark wood, which I think serves as an attractive transition between the interior's mocha and black elements.

All of that said, I agree with others that dark graphite is likely to show less dirt than carbon black. But I have my car professionally cleaned every two weeks and, to my taste, carbon black is 1. A truly unique, attention-grabbing color and 2. Matches a bit better with mocha nappa.

2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
BMW325, I agonized the same way as you over both the exterior and interior colors. I'm prone to second guessing such things, but I got this one right - at least to my tastes.

If at all possible, get a good look at carbon black and a good look at mocha, even if in separate cars. Worry not about them going together - they do, if you're in the market for a darkish, elegant look, as I was.

Regarding aluminum hex, I've seen other posters say that it brightens the carbon black/nappa look, but I preferred the dark wood, which I think serves as an attractive transition between the interior's mocha and black elements.

All of that said, I agree with others that dark graphite is likely to show less dirt than carbon black. But I have my car professionally cleaned every two weeks and, to my taste, carbon black is 1. A truly unique, attention-grabbing color and 2. Matches a bit better with mocha nappa.
No question that carbon black and mocha look good together in my mind... and in your pics. My wife prefers dark graphite though and I'm a bit wary of having another black or near black.

Regardless of exterior I'm getting mocha-nothing else makes sense because if you get black you're downgraded to Dakota and your only other choice is oyster which is too light. When I pointed this out to my wife she conceded that mocha is the right choice regardless of exterior color...and she seems set on the dg.

I do think the wood works a little better than the alum hex with mocha but I just have an aversion to it in car interiors for some reason.

So admittedly, I'm kind of making 3 separate choices for differing reasons that aren't necessarily the perfect combo (which I think your car is). And that's why I'm second guessing.

Thanks for your help - helped to clarify my choices. And I still have time to waffle and/or try to get my wife to agree to carbon black. . You know how that goes though- win the battle but lose the war.

Surprisingly hard to see either of these on dealer lots - the nappa cars tend to be oyster and the msport cars tend to be white or black. Even DG is pretty rare. I have seen atleast one example of each "in the wild" though. Probably freaked out some poor owner by peering through the windows of various f10s!

Last edited by bmw325; 01-06-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535X
Quote:
No question that carbon black and mocha look good together in my mind... and in your pics. My wife prefers dark graphite though and I'm a bit wary of having another black or near black.

Regardless of exterior I'm getting mocha-nothing else makes sense because if you get black you're downgraded to Dakota and your only other choice is oyster which is too light. When I pointed this out to my wife she conceded that mocha is the right choice regardless of exterior color...and she seems set on the dg.

I do think the wood works a little better than the alum hex with mocha but I just have an aversion to it in car interiors for some reason.

So admittedly, I'm kind of making 3 separate choices for differing reasons that aren't necessarily the perfect combo (which I think your car is). And that's why I'm second guessing.

Thanks for your help - helped to clarify my choices. And I still have time to waffle and/or try to get my wife to agree to carbon black. . You know how that goes though- win the battle but lose the war.

Surprisingly hard to see either of these on dealer lots - the nappa cars tend to be oyster and the msport cars tend to be white or black. Even DG is pretty rare. I have seen atleast one example of each "in the wild" though. Probably freaked out some poor owner by peering through the windows of various f10s!

I ended with with DG, Mocha/Hex with the same reasoning - each individual decisions. Mocha b/c it was Nappa and Hex b/c I don't like wood trim. As I sat inside my car in Germany, something seemed off to me. IMHO Hex and Mocha clashes a bit and wood trim would have made a better transition btw black and mocha interiors. Either way I'm still happy but in the perfect world, I think Black Nappa (if offered) & Hex would have been the best combo for me. I saw this combo in an Audi (SQ5) and it looked very "modern" especially if it had white stitching in the seats which is what the Audi had.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisski View Post
I ended with with DG, Mocha/Hex with the same reasoning - each individual decisions. Mocha b/c it was Nappa and Hex b/c I don't like wood trim. As I sat inside my car in Germany, something seemed off to me. IMHO Hex and Mocha clashes a bit and wood trim would have made a better transition btw black and mocha interiors. Either way I'm still happy but in the perfect world, I think Black Nappa (if offered) & Hex would have been the best combo for me. I saw this combo in an Audi (SQ5) and it looked very "modern" especially if it had white stitching in the seats which is what the Audi had.
Yeah I agree. Weird that they no longer offer black nappa- it was available in
2013 I believe. One thing I dislike on the hex trim is that they still put that chrome finish strip on it - kind of clashes a bit.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Quote:

Hogwash. Mocha and DGM look absolutely amazing together, I can't think of a better combination. I have absolutely no regrets, and would order it the same way if I had to do it over again. The anthracite wood looks great with mocha too, not sure about the metallic trim, but I don't see why it wouldn't go well with any color.

DGM also hides dirt well, way better than I thought it would.

Sorry, no pictures of the interior, too hard to photograph accurately.

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive
If Mocha Nappa Leather was available on MY2013 with DGMII that would have been my color combination. I think it's a great color combo. My SA tried talking me out of Cinnamon Brown and DGMII, I'm glad he did not talk me out of the color combo.

I had black interior and black exterior on my last two Infiniti's and wanted something totally different! Glad I did!
2013 535i xDrive Dark Graphite Metallic ll, Cinnamon Brown w/Dark Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg. (Ordered 01/18/2013, Build Date, 02/07/2013, Delivery, 03/07/2013)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSHML99 View Post
If Mocha Nappa Leather was available on MY2013 with DGMII that would have been my color combination. I think it's a great color combo. My SA tried talking me out of Cinnamon Brown and DGMII, I'm glad he did not talk me out of the color combo.

I had black interior and black exterior on my last two Infiniti's and wanted something totally different! Glad I did!
Me too. Have had black on black for the past 15 years!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535 iX
Wish I had it, sounds like a great combination.
E46 - '04 325Ci-Dinan3 (sold) - Oxford Green with a lot of AC Schnitzer too.