Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1995 E36 318i
Question HID Blowing Fuse Issue

G'day guys!

I've recently put in a set of Genuine Philips 35w HIDs, however I have an issue with the fuse..

When I initially installed them, the driver side light didn't go on; sure enough the fuse was blown so I replaced it then they were working fine. Not to long ago, same thing happened. No drive side light and sure enough it was the fuse.

However, it seems to be permanent now. Every time I turn the car off and stick in a new fuse, then turn it on and turn them on *boom* another fuse blows.

Originally I had 7.5A in the two slots, and I upped to to a 10A (didn't have any 7.5A at the time).

I've double checked the connections and they all appear fine. I've mounted the slimline ballast horizontally and that doesn't move.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Do you have proper ballasts installed? They seem to be drawing too much current.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM

What do you mean by proper? They aren't a knock-off Chinese version, if that's what you mean =b They are legit Philips. It makes no sense to me that one side is fine, whilst the other isn't..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Try swapping the bad one to the good side. See if it blows that fuse. Then you know it's a bad ballast.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Try swapping the bad one to the good side. See if it blows that fuse. Then you know it's a bad ballast.
Not a bad idea..pain in the a** seeing as I've put like 4 cable ties per side, very tightly to hold them in xD
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyEm View Post
What do you mean by proper? They aren't a knock-off Chinese version, if that's what you mean =b They are legit Philips. It makes no sense to me that one side is fine, whilst the other isn't..
So your ballasts (in addition to the bulbs) are also Philips?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 12-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
So your ballasts (in addition to the bulbs) are also Philips?
Correct! I'm sorry..I should have made that much clearer..
Both the ballasts and bulbs are Philips, H1 Bulbs which are fitting into a Hella Projector & Angel Eye headlight.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Did you mount your ballasts to the car body or bolt them to something metal that's attached to the car body? If not that may be part of the problem and may have killed one of your ballasts. Most of the HID ballasts require mounting to the car body because it provides both a ground connection and heat transfer.

Is this the kit you have? Looks like a pretty good set up......
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Did you mount your ballasts to the car body or bolt them to something metal that's attached to the car body? If not that may be part of the problem and may have killed one of your ballasts. Most of the HID ballasts require mounting to the car body because it provides both a ground connection and heat transfer.

That kit is quite inexpensive for what one might hope for, so I did a little digging. The company's domain name was registered by
SoloTech LLC
suleiman hamed (canzamansultan@hotmail.com)
+1.6128454226
Fax: +1.5555555555
240 spring st # 509
st paul, mn 55102
I have attached a picture of their whois street address. I can find no street address on their website.

One of their suppliers is reportedly Fuan Jianlong Auto Parts Co., Ltd.

Philips Lighting (the huge Dutch company) apparently does not make HID kits, so Solotech must get them from somewhere else. Here's a possiblity to give a flavor of their possible supplier(s): http://www.chinesehid.com/eproductus.asp?id=135

There is also a philips-xenon.com / Xenon Philips who claim they are the only source for German made Philips HID kits. That domain is registered to:
Ryan Schlote
5620 Fossil Creek Pkwy, Unit 3204
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525
United States
It looks to be in a housing development.

If I were to buy from these folks, I would not be surprised to get what I paid for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	streetview.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	352347  

Last edited by johnf; 12-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
More on this topic......http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-Counterfeits
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM
TouTou

Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
G'day guys!

I've recently put in a set of Genuine Philips 35w HIDs, however I have an issue with the fuse..

When I initially installed them, the driver side light didn't go on; sure enough the fuse was blown so I replaced it then they were working fine. Not to long ago, same thing happened. No drive side light and sure enough it was the fuse.

However, it seems to be permanent now. Every time I turn the car off and stick in a new fuse, then turn it on and turn them on *boom* another fuse blows.

Originally I had 7.5A in the two slots, and I upped to to a 10A (didn't have any 7.5A at the time).

I've double checked the connections and they all appear fine. I've mounted the slimline ballast horizontally and that doesn't move.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
It sounds like a ballast issue. I had that problem on my old car.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post

I mounted them to by car using cable/zip ties; they are horizontal and don't move an inch! As for the kit, I have a slimline kit, so not the exact one shown. My mechanic got them for me (at trade) price, same kit that he uses in his X3, promises they are genuine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
That kit is quite inexpensive for what one might hope for, so I did a little digging. The company's domain name was registered by
SoloTech LLC
suleiman hamed (canzamansultan@hotmail.com)
+1.6128454226
Fax: +1.5555555555
240 spring st # 509
st paul, mn 55102
I have attached a picture of their whois street address. I can find no street address on their website.

One of their suppliers is reportedly Fuan Jianlong Auto Parts Co., Ltd.

Philips Lighting (the huge Dutch company) apparently does not make HID kits, so Solotech must get them from somewhere else. Here's a possiblity to give a flavor of their possible supplier(s): http://www.chinesehid.com/eproductus.asp?id=135

There is also a philips-xenon.com / Xenon Philips who claim they are the only source for German made Philips HID kits. That domain is registered to:
Ryan Schlote
5620 Fossil Creek Pkwy, Unit 3204
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525
United States
It looks to be in a housing development.

If I were to buy from these folks, I would not be surprised to get what I paid for.
Trust a German, very detailed and thorough! Interesting too, because my local auto/car shops her in Australia sell Philips HID kits, and they appear to be genuine also. They have that funky Philips Hologram that they use to show that they are genuine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouTou View Post
It sounds like a ballast issue. I had that problem on my old car.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
I might have to cut of the cable ties and swap them around to see if its a ballast issue..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
Trust a German, very detailed and thorough! Interesting too, because my local auto/car shops her in Australia sell Philips HID kits, and they appear to be genuine....
I'm nominally American, although these days I am not entirely sure who I am.

I pursued your suggestion and found that, indeed, Philips India makes some retrofit kits:

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...p?id=1012984#0

I may have to fly to India and buy one. I have always wanted to visit. (I have been to Oz, although there is plenty more of it I would like to see!)

Quote:
I might have to cut of the cable ties and swap them around to see if its a ballast issue..
Is there any way for you to measure the draw (current vs. time profile) of each headlight as it starts up?

Last edited by johnf; 12-09-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 AM
John Firestone

I just threw a Philips HID part number at Google, Philips Australia still lists them as well: http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/v...jsp?id=1012984

I wonder why I have not seen them here. Perhaps the headlight washer and auto-leveling requirements? (Although I think the TÜV will at least waive the former.) Or that a car with more than 100 000 km is considered old and decrepit? What are the requirements for Australia?

Last edited by johnf; 12-09-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
I'm nominally American, although these days I am not entirely sure who I am.

I pursued your suggestion and found that, indeed, Philips India makes some retrofit kits:

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...p?id=1012984#0

I may have to fly to India and buy one. I have always wanted to visit. (I have been to Oz, although there is plenty more of it I would like to see!)

Is there any way for you to measure the draw (current vs. time profile) of each headlight as it starts up?
Haha..my Sister in law is German...she and her Father would have done the exact same thing..our emails consist of no less than 800 words..so consider Germany having an effect on you

You could mail order? But an excuse to fly to India - or Australia, for that matter, is a great one!

How would you suggest I measure the draw? I *should* have a multimeter around here somewhere..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I just threw a Philips HID part number at Google, Philips Australia still lists them as well: http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/v...jsp?id=1012984

I wonder why I have not seen them here. Perhaps the headlight washer and auto-leveling requirements? (Although I think the TÜV will at least waive the former.) Or that a car with more than 100 000 km is considered old and decrepit? What are the requirements for Australia?
I must have missed this post..I highly doubt that Australia requires any sort of auto-levelling requirements. Not that we are basic, just that it's not something regulated or policed very much. There are plenty of older (5-10+) cars on the road with HID kits in them these days..sad when they are using reflector lens for them.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
Haha..my Sister in law is German...she and her Father would have done the exact same thing..our emails consist of no less than 800 words..so consider Germany having an effect on you
Well, I have always been the sort who liked to confirm the details on something, preferably once, so I won't have to think about them again. I think living in Germany has encouraged part of that. Or it may be a case of what H.L. Mencken suggested as his epitapth: as he got older, he got worse.

Quote:
How would you suggest I measure the draw? I *should* have a multimeter around here somewhere..
If the problem is transient, you would probably need a digital oscilloscope or scopemeter together with a current shunt or clamp-on DC hall effect probe to capture the problem.

If I understand you correctly, the HIDs are blowing both fuses even when they are 10A? How quickly does the fuse blow or the fuses blow?

Last edited by johnf; 12-09-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to allenmarton
Mein Auto: bmw
appriciation

hi
very nice posts,i like this forum very much
Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Well, I have always been the sort who liked to confirm the details on something, preferably once, so I won't have to think about them again. I think living in Germany has encouraged part of that. Or it may be a case of what H.L. Mencken suggested as his epitapth: as he got older, he got worse.

If the problem is transient, you would probably need a digital oscilloscope or scopemeter together with a current shunt or clamp-on DC hall effect probe to capture the problem.

If I understand you correctly, the HIDs are blowing both fuses even when they are 10A? How quickly does the fuse blow or the fuses blow?
My apologies for the delay in responding! Boy,..what a week!

I'm sure you're just maturing with age..just like a fine bottle of wine

I had a think after you comments on blowing the fuses..took me back to physics and electronics..what could cause such a sharp spike in A as soon as they are turned on?

Well, I tried swapping the ballasts..that was a waste of time. Turns out, they were fine.
So racking my brain, the only idea I could come up with, was a short-circuit. I rechecked all the connections and cables and I was just about to give up until..the bulb! I popped off the dust and water protection cap and sure enough the connections to the bulbs were touching each other more than a French couple..so I duct-taped one of them so no metal was exposed and - voila! Problem solved!

Thanks for all the help guys! =D
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Thanks for posting the solution.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?