Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Coding 6NR

Hello guys. I'm based in the UK and I'm now the proud owner of an F10 520d for two days now. I have a fairly high spec car including HUD, SLI and HBA. I'm watching the LDA retrofit thread eagerly.

I've already downloaded the necessary files for coding and intend to start very soon but I'm wondering if there have been any attempts to code in the 6NR option in a similar fashion to that offered by bimmer-tech?

Once I'm up and running I'll be happy to help out where possible. Incidentally my car was manufactured in 05/2012 so is brand new and upto date.

Great effort so far, well done everyone!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 PM
miotoo miotoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 306
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Hello @grigz95 welcome aboard!

I'm sure you will enjoy your new car as much as everyone else here and hope you will find the coding challenges both fun and rewarding.

Maybe you will be the 6NR Pioneer?

Edit: I forgot, also 6NR needs a FSC code as well so not sure coding will be enough even if you add it to VO and code CIC/COMBOX
__________________

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1

Last edited by miotoo; 06-15-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 AM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
Hello guys. I'm based in the UK and I'm now the proud owner of an F10 520d for two days now. I have a fairly high spec car including HUD, SLI and HBA. I'm watching the LDA retrofit thread eagerly.

I've already downloaded the necessary files for coding and intend to start very soon but I'm wondering if there have been any attempts to code in the 6NR option in a similar fashion to that offered by bimmer-tech?

Once I'm up and running I'll be happy to help out where possible. Incidentally my car was manufactured in 05/2012 so is brand new and upto date.

Great effort so far, well done everyone!
My car (Sept 2011 build, F10 550i) is not eligible for 6NR according to BMW... reason being is the USB cable from the Combox to the Snap-in baseplate was not installed from the factory.

The 6NR retrofit kit from BMW requires that the USB cable be present. I installed the cable, which required removing the rear seat, front seats, center console and rear carpet... too labor intensive for BMW to perform as a retrofit.
The official retrofit kit (not avail in US) only runs wiring from the Baseplate to the back of the CIC and assumes the USB is already present.

I wanted my car to be the same a factory... the 2 places that offer the retrofit replace the USB/AUX connector with the Mini Cooper USB/AV connector, since the other method isn't really practical.. and they charge almost 3 times as much as the 6NR option costs from the factory.

@grigz95.... Since you are in the UK, I think you can get the retrofit done by BMW... the FSC code is what really allows 6NR to work... I have attached the 6NR retrofit instruction from BMW.

EDIT: I don't have 6NR working since the dealer in the US can't order the FSC code, and I'm not willing to pay $650 to the aftermarket guys just for the code and a couple hours of remote coding....
BMW uses the Snap-in adapter and the USB connector for BMW Apps, but the iPod plugin is supported from the Snap-in adapter, Mini Cooper is the opposite, the plugin is supported from the USB/AV via a special cable...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6NR Retrofit.pdf (638.9 KB, 2526 views)
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407

Last edited by mjgood; 06-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 AM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
@mjgood thanks for the information. Unfortunately the 6nr kit is no available as a retrofit kit in the uk at present. I know this as I've just been to my local dealership and discussed it with the parts guy, he did mention that it may be available in the future but not at present. I guess my only option will be the aftermarket guys and I would require the fsc code. I'm looking at $750 dollars or £500. I'm not sure that it's worth it. For now I may have to put this on the back burner.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
I agree.... I have a hard time justifying that amount of money for BMW Apps... main reason I wanted it was for Pandora so I wouldn't have to pay for Sirius Satellite radio....
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
FSC code

Quote:
Originally Posted by miotoo View Post
Hello @grigz95 welcome aboard!

I'm sure you will enjoy your new car as much as everyone else here and hope you will find the coding challenges both fun and rewarding.

Maybe you will be the 6NR Pioneer?

Edit: I forgot, also 6NR needs a FSC code as well so not sure coding will be enough even if you add it to VO and code CIC/COMBOX

Thanks, I'm already enjoying the car alot.

I'm aware that the FSC code is now required. Are there any aftermarket routes to obtaining one of these?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2012, 04:02 PM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
Thanks, I'm already enjoying the car alot.

I'm aware that the FSC code is now required. Are there any aftermarket routes to obtaining one of these?

Thanks
bimmerretrofit.com and bimmer-tech.net, the first is in Canada and I think the second is in Poland.... both are about the same price...
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
FSC code

@mjgood

I've been talking with Patryk at bimmer-tech and he has told me that the FSC code is 200 euro. I'm not sure if they will do it but you may just be able to order the code through them. I'm curious as to what the difference between the official BMW retrofit kit including the original cable (which I also don't have) and the aftermarket options using the mini AV cable are. Are you able to elaborate on this? Are there any functional differences. For me the option to use AUX/USB port with a cable is better than the BMW option which requires the snap-in adapter because i can hold the phone in my hand for control. Having said that I don't want to loose any functionality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgood View Post
My car (Sept 2011 build, F10 550i) is not eligible for 6NR
according to BMW... reason being is the USB cable from the Combox to the Snap-in baseplate was not installed from the factory.

The 6NR retrofit kit from BMW requires that the USB cable be present. I installed the cable, which required removing the rear seat, front seats, center console and rear carpet... too labor intensive for BMW to perform as a retrofit.
The official retrofit kit (not avail in US) only runs wiring from the Baseplate to the back of the CIC and assumes the USB is already present.

I wanted my car to be the same a factory... the 2 places that offer the retrofit replace the USB/AUX connector with the Mini Cooper USB/AV connector, since the other method isn't really practical.. and they charge almost 3 times as much as the 6NR option costs from the factory.

@grigz95.... Since you are in the UK, I think you can get the retrofit done by BMW... the FSC code is what really allows 6NR to work... I have attached the 6NR retrofit instruction from BMW.

EDIT: I don't have 6NR working since the dealer in the US can't order the FSC code, and I'm not willing to pay $650 to the aftermarket guys just for the code and a couple hours of remote coding....
BMW uses the Snap-in adapter and the USB connector for BMW Apps, but the iPod plugin is supported from the Snap-in adapter, Mini Cooper is the opposite, the plugin is supported from the USB/AV via a special cable...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 AM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
@mjgood

I've been talking with Patryk at bimmer-tech and he has told me that the FSC code is 200 euro. I'm not sure if they will do it but you may just be able to order the code through them. I'm curious as to what the difference between the official BMW retrofit kit including the original cable (which I also don't have) and the aftermarket options using the mini AV cable are. Are you able to elaborate on this? Are there any functional differences. For me the option to use AUX/USB port with a cable is better than the BMW option which requires the snap-in adapter because i can hold the phone in my hand for control. Having said that I don't want to loose any functionality.
Either the USB or the Snap-in will let you use BMW Apps... On a BMW the 'plug-in' feature (using the menu as an iPod) is connected throughout the snap-in, Mini on the other hand decided to use that feature through the USB/AV connector..
The BMW USB/AUX (AUX has 3 connectors for audio) needs to be replaced with the Mini USB/AV (AV has 4 connectors for audio/video)....

You won't loose any functionality, actually it will be the same configuration as Mini...

The BMW retrofit kit for 6NR just runs a cable from the snap-in to the back of the CIC
The aftermarket guys replace the USB/AUX with USB/AV and run the cable from there to the CIC.

really the only difference is where you will be running the plugin feature from...
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
So potentially I can attempt the following:

1. Purchase and install the mini USB/AV kit
2. Purchase the FSC code (if possible)
3. Work out the coding for the 6NR option and apply this myself
4. Assuming this is all possible, share this with everyone on the forum!

My next question is then, can I use the FSC code through E-Sys and if so is there any documentation on how to do this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
miotoo miotoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 306
Mein Auto: F10 520d
@grigz95 the attached 6FL_6NF will help you understand the wiring when the 6NF option exists. Do you have it in your car? In this the baseplate wiring is connected as secondary 'audio in' to the aux, and is switched on in case there is nothing plugged to the aux-in. 2nd doc is general 6NR info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6FL_6NF.pdf (980.1 KB, 1135 views)
File Type: pdf BMW_CONNECTED.pdf (1.45 MB, 1094 views)
__________________

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1

Last edited by miotoo; 06-20-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
I do not have the 6NR option on my car. It was an option that I should have ordered but didn't. Thanks for the attached docs. I will have a look through them. Since my car is 1 month old I do need the FSC code to activate this option even if I install all of the hardware components myself, hence my question regarding how to use the FSC code if I can purchase one.

I'm not sure what the 6FL option is (I'm being lazy by not checking) but assuming that its the telephone USB option (i.e. usb connection between the snap-in baseplate and the CIC) then I do not have this option installed either. I'd prefer to use the mini USB/AV option anyway as it allows me to hold the phone connected via a iphone cable in the car. I'm hoping to be able to watch some other videos using some jailbreak tweaks. For example watching bbc iplayer is one of my goals. Obviously before that I need to the 6NR option installed.

Also, it's my understanding that the iphone snapin adapter is different depending on whether you have the 6NR option. I just purchased the non-6NR snap-in adapter so I don't want to have to buy a different one hence another good reason to use the USB/AV option.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Here is a link with some good info and part numbers.. Code 6NR

The USB/AV connector is the same that is in the Mini Countryman, BMW or Mini parts can get it for you...
You will also need to get the right connectors for plugging into the back of the CIC (don't remember if they are male of female) and I don't remember the part number, the parts guy should be able to find it for you.

If you car is at I-Level 42, you shouldn't need an FSC code... 43 and higher needs FSC, lower than 42 doesn't support 6NR.

E-Sys can import the FSC, but it wants to know some specific info about the ECU in order to do so... I don't know of anyone that has done this.

My car is at the dealer right now, I gave them the 6NR retrofit instructions and asked them to try and order the FSC, I will report back with results... I don't think they can for a US car, but you never know.

@grigz95... you will need to purchase the FSC for 6NR
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM
miotoo miotoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 306
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
I do not have the 6NR option on my car. It was an option that I should have ordered but didn't. Thanks for the attached docs. I will have a look through them. Since my car is 1 month old I do need the FSC code to activate this option even if I install all of the hardware components myself, hence my question regarding how to use the FSC code if I can purchase one.

I'm not sure what the 6FL option is (I'm being lazy by not checking) but assuming that its the telephone USB option (i.e. usb connection between the snap-in baseplate and the CIC) then I do not have this option installed either. I'd prefer to use the mini USB/AV option anyway as it allows me to hold the phone connected via a iphone cable in the car. I'm hoping to be able to watch some other videos using some jailbreak tweaks. For example watching bbc iplayer is one of my goals. Obviously before that I need to the 6NR option installed.

Also, it's my understanding that the iphone snapin adapter is different depending on whether you have the 6NR option. I just purchased the non-6NR snap-in adapter so I don't want to have to buy a different one hence another good reason to use the USB/AV option.
I was asking if you have the 6NF, not the 6NR which you want to replicate..
Because if you have 6NF, then you have different connectors/wiring to the aux/usb connector as well as to the baseplate (aka snapin cradle), so need to check whether you need additional wiring material on top of the MINI aux port.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_6NF_MINI_6NM.pdf (753.3 KB, 433 views)
File Type: pdf BASEPLATE_6NF.pdf (1.03 MB, 588 views)
__________________

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 AM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Apologies, I wasn't reading that properly.

The BMW site is down for maintenance at the moment so I can't see what 6NF is but I believe that its the snap-in adapters for telephones. I do not have this option. I believe I do need to run some cables from the back of the CIC to the replaced AUX/AV adapter in the centre console box anyway and not just replace the actual connector. I'm fairly certain about that.

Thanks for the heads-up though, I'll be looking into this in more detail today.

EDIT: I do not have 6NF, I do have 6FL

Last edited by grigz95; 06-21-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 AM
svache's Avatar
svache svache is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
so I can't see what 6NF is but I believe that its the snap-in adapters for telephones
almost but not entirely correct.. I have this option but I do not have the snap-in adapter.. the description is the following: "MUSIC-SCHNITTSTELLE FUER SMARTPHONE", or in English: Music interface for smartphone

If I understand correctly, it's basically the baseplate (which I do have) on which the snap-in adapter comes
__________________
'12 F30 328i w/ A17, LCLY, ZLL/7S2, ZCW, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP, ZPS, ZTP, 205, 2VL, 302, 3DZ, 415, 417, 522, 524, 5AC, 5AP, 5DP, 615, 6AA, 6AB, 6NF, 6NL, 6NR, 6UH, 6VA, 6WA, 8S4, 8TH (yes, that's all lol)
Retired: '09 E70 X5, '04 E46 M3

Last edited by svache; 06-21-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 AM
miotoo miotoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 306
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
almost but not entirely correct.. I have this option but I do not have the snap-in adapter.. the description is the following: "MUSIC-SCHNITTSTELLE FUER SMARTPHONE", or in English: Music interface for smartphone

If I understand correctly, it's basically the baseplate (which I do have) on which the snap-in adapter comes
They call it eject box...In the above pdf baseplate_6NF it is clear that the base plate exists in 2 variants. Standard and with 6NF.

In case of 6NF the baseplate has the additional wiring for audio connections to the aux port and video to the cic.

In the aux (6FL_6NF) pdf there are also 3 variants. With 6NF it has a switching mechanism between the plugged in 3.5mm plug & audio from the baseplate.
__________________

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1

Last edited by miotoo; 06-21-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 AM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Ok, it would appear that I have confused the matter somewhat by not understanding the 6NF option. I now understand what needs to be done.

My car does not have the 6NF or 6NR option. This means that if I want to install 6NR in my car I will not have the necessary wiring in base to my baseplate and will instead need to replace the USB/AUX connector in the centre console with the mini USB/AV connector and use a Y-cable adapter to connect to my idevice. In addition to this I will need to run a new cable from the back of the CIC to the new USB/AV connector and potentially make a small change to one of these wires. Here's what I know so far (there is plenty of information floating around on this on the links posted earlier in this forum)

1. The USB/AV part number that I require for my car is 84109229242 (90% certain on this)
2. The Y-cable that I require to connect my idevice to the new USB/AV adapter may be 61122179623 (I'm still researching this part)
3. I do not know what cable I require to run from the CIC to the USB/AV adapter (61122295390) has been floated around but I'm still researching and it may require some modification
4. My car being Integration Level 43 and manufactured in May 2012 would definitely need the specific FSC code (I'm investigating purchasing this seperately)
5. With all of this I would need to code the necessary functions using E-SYS

I know what I need to do now I need to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
1. The USB/AV part number that I require for my car is 84109229242 (90% certain on this)
2. The Y-cable that I require to connect my idevice to the new USB/AV adapter may be 61122179623 (I'm still researching this part)
3. I do not know what cable I require to run from the CIC to the USB/AV adapter (61122295390) has been floated around but I'm still researching and it may require some modification
4. My car being Integration Level 43 and manufactured in May 2012 would definitely need the specific FSC code (I'm investigating purchasing this seperately)
5. With all of this I would need to code the necessary functions using E-SYS
1. not sure on the p/n, my Mini is in the shop right now so I can't check the p/n..
2. I'm looking at my Y-cable right now, that is the correct p/n.. (the circular plug has 4 rings on it)
3. I built my own cable, local parts department should have the pin connectors, just use a shielded 3 wire cable to attach the connectors, CIC connectors are female.
4 & 5. If you get the FSC from Patryk or Alex, they should be able to code/activate it for you remotely.
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgood View Post
1. not sure on the p/n, my Mini is in the shop right now so I can't check the p/n..
2. I'm looking at my Y-cable right now, that is the correct p/n.. (the circular plug has 4 rings on it)
3. I built my own cable, local parts department should have the pin connectors, just use a shielded 3 wire cable to attach the connectors, CIC connectors are female.
4 & 5. If you get the FSC from Patryk or Alex, they should be able to code/activate it for you remotely.

Thanks for the feedback on this. That's really helpful. With regards to point 3 and making my own cable, I'm really not certain at this stage what is needed, I only know that I need to run a cable from the CIC to the new USB adapter but I'm not sure what that cable needs to include. I can get hold of the retrofit cable from BMW which includes three wires (part 61122295930) but this cable is designed for cars that have the 6NF option already and unfortunately I do not have this option fitted to my car.

Did you simply augment the existing cabling for the 6FL option with your own custom made cable or was you car already pre-wired for 6NF, if I've read this forum correctly my understanding is that your car is in the same state a mine from factory (i.e. no 6NF or 6NR but 6FL).

Thanks for your feedback on this
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
My car is a Sept 2010 build... I installed the baseplate, the only wiring for the baseplate that was existing was the antenna and power, I added the USB from the COMBOX and of course the CIC to baseplate wiring (shares the same connecter as power)....

Since your car is newer you may already have the USB cable in place from the COMBOX to the baseplate... the pocket where the baseplate would go is very easy to pop out, the cabling is just underneath, you should see 3 connectors (antenna, USB and power) they will be snapped into a bracket.

If you do have the USB existing for the baseplate, I think it would be much simpler to get a baseplate and go that route... installing the baseplate is about a 30 minute job, and then adding the 6NF to VO and coding the COMBOX and CIC to activate it...

Adding the 6NR wiring will take a while, need to remove top of center console, dash trim and CIC.. the retrofit wiring is only for the plugin feature and watching video from the iPhone/ipod, It's not required for BMW Apps (i.e.:Pandora) and will work fine without it..
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407

Last edited by mjgood; 06-21-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Actually my main focus is on the plugin and video output aswell as the BMW apps. I already have the baseplate in my car but I can't seem to work out how to remove it so that I can look at the wiring underneath. I don't expect the usb wiring to be in place as I did not pay for the 6NF option in my car so I only expect to find the antenna and power cabling.

From memory do you know the baseplate is held in place so that I can attempt to remove it on mine. I found a picture of the part in realoem but it didnt' seem to help.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
mjgood mjgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
@grigz95....

The baseplate is held in by friction, if you pry it up along the long edge it will come up... I use a plastic pry tool (looks like a knife with very dull edges)... based on the year of your car I would be surprised that the USB cable wouldn't be there.... It doesn't take much force to remove it..
My F10 is in the shop as well as my Mini (BMW Assist issues) otherwise I would post a quick video how to pop it out....

In your iDrive menu under external devices does it show up like the attached pic? the second item is the baseplate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 2.18.24 PM.png
Views:	471
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	330082  
__________________

2011 550i M-Sport
2011 Countryman S
Bell 407
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgood View Post
@grigz95....

The baseplate is held in by friction, if you pry it up along the long edge it will come up... I use a plastic pry tool (looks like a knife with very dull edges)... based on the year of your car I would be surprised that the USB cable wouldn't be there.... It doesn't take much force to remove it..
My F10 is in the shop as well as my Mini (BMW Assist issues) otherwise I would post a quick video how to pop it out....

In your iDrive menu under external devices does it show up like the attached pic? the second item is the baseplate
I'll try to pry it out using a similar tool. My iDrive screen does not look this. I do not have the second baseplate option. I thought that the 6NF option was the connection to the baseplate which I didn't order on my car so I know that it's not connected to my baseplate however the cabling may just be underneath. I'm going to try and check now.

EDIT: So I've just been down to the car now and took out the baseplate. It has two wires going to the bottom. One is the antenna lead and the other appears to connect another adapter mounted to the side (I assume this is the power lead) I would have taken pictures but the weather in England is very bad at present so I just had a quick look. As I expected the third usb cable is missing meaning I would need to run this myself or just get the aftermarket retrofit from bimmertech or bimmer retrofit I guess.

Last edited by grigz95; 06-21-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
grigz95 grigz95 is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgood View Post
My car is a Sept 2010 build... I installed the baseplate, the only wiring for the baseplate that was existing was the antenna and power, I added the USB from the COMBOX and of course the CIC to baseplate wiring (shares the same connecter as power)....
So I'm in the same situation as you were. Are you willing to share more information on how you installed this cable? Is this the cable that you made yourself or did you get this part from BMW? If so, can you tell me the BMW part number please as I could order that and the retrofit kit cable and then somehow make this all work with the mini USB/AV port. At least that's what I'm thinking right now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms