Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Estimated Range

Any thoughts on the estimated range that the computer automatically calculates?

I have a '15 X3 35i (3k miles). After each fill up, I get at least 400 miles as the estimated range before the tank goes empty. The computer is always off by at least 80 miles or so. I was thinking the computer would be smart enough to learn from your driving habits and conditions to better estimate your range. At 3k miles, I'd expect to be pretty much broken in.

The other thing, sometimes I drive 1 mile, the range drops by 10. Then later if I'm out of traffic and going at a consistent speed, the range goes back up. I can understand driving habit, traffic conditions all affect range, but in the end, the computer is just so off. My Lexus has a better range estimate.

Do you guys also notice how the fuel needle starts dropping very quickly? After filling up and driving 10 miles or so, my fuel needle would begin to fall. Is something off?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2015, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
I believe it calculates as you drive.. so if it says you have 400 miles until empty and you are in town driving then it would drop fast.. with that same thing in mind, if you then go to highway driving it would go back up because its not stop and go traffic..

as far as the needle falling... I don't notice it in mine.. however I just look at miles until fill up and go by that... sort of..
Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
At least on mine, I think the needle appears to fall fast because, unlike every vehicle I've had before, it doesn't spend a lot of time above F. It actually appears fairly accurate.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
That's how every fuel gauge should behave, there should be no dead spot pass full. As far as I am concerned, BMW got it right and everybody else is wrong.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink4 View Post
at least on mine, i think the needle appears to fall fast because, unlike every vehicle i've had before, it doesn't spend a lot of time above f. It actually appears fairly accurate.
+1
Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X335i M Sport
That extra space above the needle though, that was like a false sense of gas mileage! It made you feel better about NOT having great mileage...
Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: X3 x28d (On Order)
Yes, it calculates as you drive each time beginning with fill up. I believe it does the calculation based on the last 20 miles driven, which is why if you do a lot of city driving, and switch to highway...the fuel range will actually increase.

My previous Subaru would never increase the miles left on a tank...I much prefer that, so I know that if I drive more efficiently it will lower the range at a slower pace, but at least I know the max miles left. Yesterday, my tank jumped from 10 miles left, up to 20, down to 8. Of course, I should never push it that low...but still.

And yes, most cars do go past full on the gauge, and so often the first half appears to get many more miles then the 2nd half. However, I do also agree the first bit seems to drop rather quickly.

In sum, on the estimated range...don't like what BMW does. On the gas gauge, I do prefer BMW to others.

Last edited by bluecow; 03-05-2015 at 02:50 PM.