Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: '88 911
Looking at purchasing a Z3

Hi gang,

Just new here, doing some research on purchasing a Z3.
I have found a couple that I'm going to go look at, and I figured I'd see what the community thinks of them and the asking price.

One is a 2000 2.3 with 126,000 Kms, looks to be in rather nice condition, is a Canadian car, for $11K
LINK

The other is a 1997 2.8 with 263,000 Kms, looks to be in fair shape, was a US car, for $7K
LINK

Both have a clean CarProof reports
From what I understand, both are about the same HP.
I'm not sure the 2000 warrants the extra $4K.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks_a_
Ads by Google
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
Unfortunetly, I believe they are both overpriced. I would suggest staying away from dealerships and finding something for sale by owner. Take a look at the bluebook value on these with their current milage. The gray on looks like it has hit a couple of tall curbs with the front shroud. I can find a 97 2.8 on craigslist with have the miles for under $7K. Good luck with your search.

Rob
Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
I don't think you can tell much until you actually see and drive the cars. I looked at three cars, the first at a used car dealer and the other two at new car dealers. All three cars were between $12,000 and $14,000. All three had between 32,000 and 65,000 miles. And all had CarFaxes.
1997 1.9 Roadster
1998 M Roadster
2000 2.3 Roadster with hardtop.
And the winner was...
the 1.9.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Thanks guys.

I'm going to check out a 2003 Z4 3.0i Sport Package tomorrow with high Kms, 230,000.
The guy wants $10K.
Car looks great in pictures and the CarFax is clean & shows it as a Florida car until 2009 when it was imported into Canada.
I'm hopeful that is was well looked after and doesn't drive like a high Km car.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Good luck, but I'd prefer a Z3, they really are completely different cars.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi amancuso,
Thanks for the comment.
Interesting, kind of like the difference between my 911 and a 964 or 933 I suppose.
I will know more after I take it for a run whether I like it or not.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM

Pictures can be deceiving.
I had the 2003 Z4 delivered to an independent for a PPI and he called me and said "You don't want this car!"
It had seen some damage, and worst of all, had been put back together by some cut rate body shop.

So....
I kept looking and finally settled on this '97 Z3 with 71,000 Kms, a one owner car with complete history of service at a BMW dealer.
PPI went well, and the few minor issues have been addressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3-b.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	353272  
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by irobertson View Post
Pictures can be deceiving.
I had the 2003 Z4 delivered to an independent for a PPI and he called me and said "You don't want this car!"
It had seen some damage, and worst of all, had been put back together by some cut rate body shop....
The CarFax was deceiving, too, by not reporting that accident.

The first Z3 that I looked at had a serious accident on its CarFax, saying that the front end and passenger windshield pillar had been badly damaged. The CarFax even recommended that the car be professionally inspected.

The repair was so good that my PPI shop could see no evidence of it. But that history, a wet seat, a wet floor, cloudy rear window, and bad guibo coupling made me keep looking.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
The CarFax was deceiving, too, by not reporting that accident.

The first Z3 that I looked at had a serious accident on its CarFax, saying that the front end and passenger windshield pillar had been badly damaged. The CarFax even recommended that the car be professionally inspected.

The repair was so good that my PPI shop could see no evidence of it. But that history, a wet seat, a wet floor, cloudy rear window, and bad guibo coupling made me keep looking.
Yeah, I suspect that's why the shoddy job, done by a fly-by-nighter. The guy probably didn't want any record of the accident, and certainly didn't want to go through insurance.

I was considering a nice looking Z3 M, but the car had be sold as salvage and repaired. The guy said it was only the rear bumper and exhaust that needed repair. Funny how some people think you are so gullible to believe a car worth $20K can be written off because it needs a bumper and a muffler. Ha!

BTW, what's a guibo coupling?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by irobertson View Post
... I was considering a nice looking Z3 M, but the car had be sold as salvage and repaired. The guy said it was only the rear bumper and exhaust that needed repair. Funny how some people think you are so gullible to believe a car worth $20K can be written off because it needs a bumper and a muffler. Ha!
BTW, what's a guibo coupling?
On the Z3 M, it could be worth only $11,000 retail like the one that I looked at, and it's wholesale value could be $9,000. It would not take much rear end and exhaust system damage to create an estimate over $4,500 on a Z3, and in my state, that would "total" the car, require it to have a Salvage Title until repaired, and then have a Rebuilt Title.

That is what happened to my pristine Mazda truck. It was rear-ended, needed a hitch, bumper, rear bumper panel, and dents in the cab repaired where the truck's bed flexed up and made contact during the impact. Value of truck was $5,000 and estimate was $2,500 so it was a "total". A "total" is not a write-off; it just means that the damage was great enough that the State makes sure there is a good repair before allowing the car back on the road.

The "guibo" is the flexible rubber coupling between the transmission and the drive shaft.
http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/GUIBO.html

Last edited by vintage42; 12-15-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
On the Z3 M, it could be worth only $11,000 retail like the one that I looked at, and it's wholesale value could be $9,000. It would not take much rear end and exhaust system damage to create an estimate over $4,500 on a Z3, and in my state, that would "total" the car, require it to have a Salvage Title until repaired, and then have a Rebuilt Title.

That is what happened to my pristine Mazda truck. It was rear-ended, needed a hitch, bumper, rear bumper panel, and dents in the cab repaired where the truck's bed flexed up and made contact during the impact. Value of truck was $5,000 and estimate was $2,500 so it was a "total". A "total" is not a write-off; it just means that the damage was great enough that the State makes sure there is a good repair before allowing the car back on the road.

The "guibo" is the flexible rubber coupling between the transmission and the drive shaft.
http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/GUIBO.html
Good point.
I'm pretty sure that here they don't "write off" unless the damage is closer to the value of the car. Not 50%. I guess I equate "Salvage" title with the car being written off.
I see how that number can quickly be reached in your example of the math.
Thanks for the GUIBO link.

I pick the Z3 up on Tuesday, Woooo!

cheers
91 Mercedes 300 SE (daily driver)
Dearly departed....
07 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
00 Jetta TDI

Ian

E=MC2 +/-3dB