Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:52 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Cost Breakdown of an Airline Ticket

Flight price $126.21 (portion goes to the airline)

Security Fee $11.20
Passenger Facility Fee $7.50
Segment Fee $8.00
Federal Excise Tax $6.77

So, the next time you bitch about the cost of an airline ticket, think again.

My stategy of flying cheap. Pay/Buy nothing that is a-la-cart. Purchase online directly from the carrier (Spirit.com), no carry on bag (yes Spirit charges carry on, but allows one 16x14x12 personal bag), no check bags, no paying membership fee, no seat selection, no priority boarding, no hotel, no car rental, no amusement park offers. That's it. Cheap non-stop RT from Houston IAH to LA LAX before Christmas. Book your own car (travelocity.com)

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 11-30-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2014, 09:14 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
i would go for them charging passengers by the pound
Old 11-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Spirit. Get there cheap in the worst way possible.
Enjoy your delays.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post

Security Fee $11.20
Segment Fee $8.00
Federal Excise Tax $6.77

My stategy of flying cheap. Pay/Buy nothing that is a-la-cart. Purchase online directly from the carrier (Spirit.com), no carry on bag (yes Spirit charges carry on, but allows one 16x14x12 personal bag), no check bags, no paying membership fee, no seat selection, no priority boarding, no hotel, no car rental, no amusement park offers. That's it. Cheap non-stop RT from Houston IAH to LA LAX before Christmas. Book your own car (travelocity.com)
And out of that ticket to the airlines, they made an average of $12.00.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...ist-explains-5
Old 11-30-2014, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:

Security Fee $11.20
Segment Fee $8.00
Federal Excise Tax $6.77

LAX..... Noooo don't you mean Florida?!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-30-2014, 03:55 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
LAX..... Noooo don't you mean Florida?!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It is always on my mind.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
Spirit. Get there cheap in the worst way possible.
Enjoy your delays.
I like to know where you get your on time data. Much of the delays are due to traffic at the airports, weather, and other unavoidable situations. Cheapest does not always equate to lower quality. Personally, I like the a-la-cart idea. Certainly I don't want to pay for any services I do not need. I will continue to stress safety first. It doesn't matter how comfortable or how well you are treated. If the plane is unsafe, no one will get to their destination, ugh, on time.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
My ticket from Austin to Paris was $1475 out of which under $600 was the actual flight. Rest were taxes/fees.

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 11-30-2014, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
My ticket from Austin to Paris was $1475 out of which under $600 was the actual flight. Rest were taxes/fees.
What the heck would a southern boi like you do in a Euro-centric city like Pair-ass?

Tell the folks over at Chelle's place I said hi!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:38 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
The airlines didn't tell you this. Airlines charged you (or your company) the carbon tax. I'm wonder why there aren't ambulance chasing attorneys filing class action suits.

Airlines made windfall profits of up to £1.2bn ($1.81bn) last year from a EU carbon tax they claimed would impose crippling costs on industry, according to a report into the measure's impact on the industry.

The EU backed off on plans to charge airlines for their carbon pollution after ferocious opposition from American, Chinese, Russian and other airlines, which argued the charge would cost the industry billions.

Now, it turns out, airlines made €872m from the carbon tax – plus an additional €486m when the EU agreed to hold off collecting the fee for a year, according to the report compiled by the Dutch consulting firm CE Delft.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 11-30-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
That gives me a great idea... base everyone's healthcare insurance bill by their weight! Imagine if everyone had to pay $1 per pound per month for insurance?

Grammar: The difference between "knowing your sh*t" and "knowing you're sh*t."
Old 12-02-2014, 11:22 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
That gives me a great idea... base everyone's healthcare insurance bill by their weight! Imagine if everyone had to pay $1 per pound per month for insurance?
That would give the fats incentive to cut weight, which would reduce medical resources to manage their health care, which implies lower medical cost (wishful thinking here), provides the nation with higher quality workers (wishful thinking, again), reduces the necessary amount of food production (bad for farmers), but overall, a good thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Scheiße!!!

Mein Auto: E30 M3
I don't enjoy flying Spirit. Flew them 2 times in the past 7 years (FLL->DCA and FLL->LAS). However, when they have a great deal, you are correct. Cheap. A to B. No fluff. On top of that they are based out of Fort Lauderdale and I have seen some great deals. In most other cases I stick with the Star Alliance.

2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon
2013 X1 sDrive28i
2005 330i ZHP
1999 323iC
1989 M3

Retired
2013 X5 xDrive35d
2012 128i
2010 128i
2009 MINI Cooper
2006 330i
2004 325i
1991 325i
Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
And out of that ticket to the airlines, they made an average of $12.00.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...ist-explains-5
The economist days 1% margin, so it would be $1.20 profit not $12.00.

Anyway, I'm interested in where someone can fly from and to for $126.

Wife and I flew from Toronto to Edmonton in mid November, total cost for two round trips was about $1,100 ($120 in sales tax, $150 in airport fees) (i.e. $550 for one round trip all taxes in)

My daughter is taking the same flight in reverse order just before Christmas, I paid $1350 for one round trip. $200 bucks more for 1 round trip in December than I did for 2 in November.

before anyone says "supply and demand", let me say "supply and demand" because supply and demand are what drives the price on the $1,350 flight the $550 flight and the $126 flight.

Also I would take issue with calling "Passenger Facility Fee" part of the "government cut". it's a fee for use and also probably includes chargebacks the airline pays for landing/gate fees etc. Any, you want to have a public terminal to sit in, you pay a usage fee
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
What the heck would a southern boi like you do in a Euro-centric city like Pair-ass?

Tell the folks over at Chelle's place I said hi!
It was to Paris, Texas. Wow, he really got ripped off for that Cessna flight.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
Whenever I go to the Vineyard or Nantucket, I fly Cape Air (Cape Fear). The planes are so small that you're weighed in order to balance so the weight distribution of the 8 passenger planes.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Scheiße!!!

Mein Auto: E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
Whenever I go to the Vineyard or Nantucket, I fly Cape Air (Cape Fear). The planes are so small that you're weighed in order to balance so the weight distribution of the 8 passenger planes.
Becoming a frequent flyer would them might be a great motivation to one to drop a few pounds...

My face during the boarding process ->

2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon
2013 X1 sDrive28i
2005 330i ZHP
1999 323iC
1989 M3

Retired
2013 X5 xDrive35d
2012 128i
2010 128i
2009 MINI Cooper
2006 330i
2004 325i
1991 325i
Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
It's not unusual during the off-season that the taxes and fees on flights to Europe, Canada, and some US airports are greater than the actual airfare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrnshot03.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	479543  

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 12-04-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
With fuel prices this low these days tickets should become much cheaper. Fuel prices are down over 30% but ticket prices have not dropped 30% recently.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
With fuel prices this low these days tickets should become much cheaper. Fuel prices are down over 30% but ticket prices have not dropped 30% recently.
Why? If rain gets heavier, do you get wetter? It is what it is. The airlines are smart by structuring their flights to fly full. Finally, they are not wasting their resources by flight less than full. They are not adding flights to lure passengers with cheaper fares.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 12-05-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by afshawnt View Post
Becoming a frequent flyer would them might be a great motivation to one to drop a few pounds...

My face during the boarding process ->
I was on a military transport flight once where they weighed us and our luggage, and then made about ten percent of the people get off and wait for the next flight. We were taking off from NAS Fallon Nevada going to Norfolk. We left Fallon with a light fuel load, just enough to get us to NAS Alameda (in San Francisco Bay). We fully fueled up in Alameda, enough fuel to get to Kansas.

The pilots pulled out onto the runway, taxied back to the very edge of Alameda's very short runway, turned around, put on the brakes, and spun the engines up. When the engines were up, they let go of the brakes and we started moving off with a strong jerk. They couldn't afford to waste a few hundred feet of the runway waiting for the engines to come up.

When the nose gear finally came off the ground, I thought "Well, that's good. Hopefully we'll skip when we hit the water." We used almost EVERY foot of Alameda's runway. I saw the fence and water a fraction of a second after the main gear came off the runway. After that, I went out of my way to do my two-week reservists stints near where I lived
Old 12-05-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Why? If rain gets heavier, do you get wetter? It is what it is. The airlines are smart by structuring their flights to fly full. Finally, they are not wasting their resources by flight less than full. They are not adding flights to lure passengers with cheaper fares.
I don't understand how this relates. Airlines structured flights to fly full when gas was high and continued to do so when gas was low. A fall in oil prices should lower their costs and passengers should see that in ticket prices as the airlines compete for passengers to make sure they fill the seats.

For awhile, airlines were adding a "fuel surcharge" to some ticket prices. For example http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/airl...rice-1.2822577 details how an international Air Canada Flight "costing" $450 dollars would have a "fuel surcharge" of $420 added.

Anyway, airlines use a lot of fuel and buy/sell on the futures market to hedge their costs. A fairly quick drop in fuel prices may not actually affect their bottom line immediately as the Jet-A they are pumping in may actually have been purchased 3 months ago.

(and the price of oil is one thing, the price of various fuels derived from it operate under their own supply and demand paradigms - At my local airport the fuel used by single engine piston aircraft (100LL) is $1.96 a litre and IIRC that is the same price as it was in August
Old 12-05-2014, 09:18 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwilson View Post
I don't understand how this relates. Airlines structured flights to fly full when gas was high and continued to do so when gas was low. A fall in oil prices should lower their costs and passengers should see that in ticket prices as the airlines compete for passengers to make sure they fill the seats.

For awhile, airlines were adding a "fuel surcharge" to some ticket prices. For example http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/airl...rice-1.2822577 details how an international Air Canada Flight "costing" $450 dollars would have a "fuel surcharge" of $420 added.

Anyway, airlines use a lot of fuel and buy/sell on the futures market to hedge their costs. A fairly quick drop in fuel prices may not actually affect their bottom line immediately as the Jet-A they are pumping in may actually have been purchased 3 months ago.

(and the price of oil is one thing, the price of various fuels derived from it operate under their own supply and demand paradigms - At my local airport the fuel used by single engine piston aircraft (100LL) is $1.96 a litre and IIRC that is the same price as it was in August
The airlines are out to make a profit. They can use any schemes they want to justify charges to satisfy flyers complaints. Fuel surcharge is one such scheme. In reality, the airlines shouldn't have to justify their profits. You make the decisions to fly or not to fly based on many criteria, one of which is cost. I am one who is glad to see the airlines went to a-la-cart charges. In the past, I had been paying for services that I did not need or use. When you buy a new car, checkout the destination and shipping charge. It is located on the bottom line of the MSRP. I don't see anyone complaining about that outrageous charge. It's profit. The problem is the airlines played up to the travlers' anger by justifying their profit. They didn't have to in the first place.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 12-05-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
The airlines are out to make a profit. They can use any schemes they want to justify charges to satisfy flyers complaints. Fuel surcharge is one such scheme. In reality, the airlines shouldn't have to justify their profits. You make the decisions to fly or not to fly based on many criteria, one of which is cost. I am one who is glad to see the airlines went to a-la-cart charges. In the past, I had been paying for services that I did not need or use. When you buy a new car, checkout the destination and shipping charge. It is located on the bottom line of the MSRP. I don't see anyone complaining about that outrageous charge. It's profit. The problem is the airlines played up to the travlers' anger by justifying their profit. They didn't have to in the first place.
Well, you haven't talked to me.

Not sure if they do this in the states, but up here the dealers add an "admin fee" which is basically "extra profit for dealer for selling you the car" and now routinely add high margin items e.g. a security fee (which is basically some etched numbers in car somewhere and insurance in case your car is stolen). Some of these "options" aren't really optional, they won't sell you the car without them.

Now we can argue about supply and demand and not having to justify profits etc, but we can also remember that "there is a sucker born every minute" and car dealerships especially like to prey on those suckers. There are enough suckers that they can tell the less gullible they aren't interested (they are just fishing for suckers)