Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Adopting a "bait" dog

A "bait" dog, according to my sister, is a pitbull (in this case) who is thrown into a ring before the two pitbulls actually fight to hype them up. Not only was the dog abused by the owner and other fighter dogs, it is malnourished and left on the street to die. I'm going to look at him tomorrow to see how he is and if I'm able to take him home and help him recover. He is very rough shape, I've seen pictures of him. Does anybody have any pitbulls on the forum that can give me some pointers or tips? He's about a year old at 21lbs, he is skin and bones covered in scars and scabs. He is going to be on channel 12 news and was found on the border of Clifton and Passaic of NJ.
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
I have met such a dog, just skin and bones, children throwing rocks at him. A few years later he is a wonderful 90 lbs bundle of love. This pit is a licking machine. Not a bad bone in his body. Gotta be careful for headbutts, when he jumps to lick your face. He wags his tail so strong, it's like a whip. Bottom line: You give them love, they'll give it back 1000 times. Once I had a pit in my life, I would not have any other dog. Extremely powerful, very smart, will do anything to please you. I hope you can give this guy a second chance. Good luck !
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks GroupBquattro, I'll keep all that in mind. Only if he was well enough to come along for the ride to Bimmerfest East.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM

I don't know the shape he's in now, but they are very rezilient, their resistance to pain is second to none, but their hearts are the biggest as well. Let me know how it went.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
Good luck to you, please post some pictures when you can! We'd love to see him.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 AM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Good for you! My brother in law adopted a pit bull that was found tied to a pole and left to die. The dog was also found with a broken hip...

Ended up being one of the most loyal dogs I've ever seen...stayed in the yard without a leash, came when you called...and loved everyone in the family.

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.

Proud owner of 3 turbos and 1 supercharger
Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 AM

Went for a visit today, he is actually at 34 pounds still looks very skinny. You can see most of his bones, but he had put on 6 pounds very quickly. He has bites all over and some other wounds that the vets presume to be burns. He is doing very well surprisingly, he knows a few commands like "sit" and "come". What really amazed me is that as soon as I sat on the floor to touch him, he ran up to me and sat in my lap. As of now I AM going to take him home, but first my sister who works at the shelter, is going to see how he reacts with other animals. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take pictures because the pit is under some type of investigation. As soon as I can I will snap some pics and upload them. I'm also thinking of keeping some sort of recovery log of him.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
One of our doggies is a pit/lab rescue. The most obedient dog in our house. She is such a lover, all she wants to do is make us happy. my little pure bread dachshund, otoh, thinks that the universe revolves around him.

I <3 pits.

Good luck. Sounds like this doggie deserves a good home. ...so sad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1364064770.377429.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	367750   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1364064867.676160.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	367751  
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Senseless abuse of animals is beyond sickening - we're not supposed to wish ill on other people - but if anything makes my blood boil - it is cruelty and callous disregard for animals, no matter how big or small. Any animal that must be killed should be done so quickly and humanely - hunting animals for food I understand and will even participate in - but just killing them to put them on the wall without eating them is beyond stupid in my books.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleNatoliX5 View Post
Went for a visit today, he is actually at 34 pounds still looks very skinny. You can see most of his bones, but he had put on 6 pounds very quickly. He has bites all over and some other wounds that the vets presume to be burns. He is doing very well surprisingly, he knows a few commands like "sit" and "come". What really amazed me is that as soon as I sat on the floor to touch him, he ran up to me and sat in my lap. As of now I AM going to take him home, but first my sister who works at the shelter, is going to see how he reacts with other animals. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take pictures because the pit is under some type of investigation. As soon as I can I will snap some pics and upload them. I'm also thinking of keeping some sort of recovery log of him.
Good luck. That sounds like a good match!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleNatoliX5 View Post
That's great! I really can't wait to see him.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Excellent, he reacts better than I thought. It would've been expected to be scared after all the abuse that he endured, but if he came to sit in your lap, that's an awesome sign! It means trust. Can't wait for the pictures once you take him.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Good luck w/ everything. Stories like this makes me sick. I wish I was a gazillionaire so I could buy a 100 acre plot of land and just rescue dogs all day and hire mercs to do terrible things to those who abuse them.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM

I'd join you in a second Coconutpete. And I would have an area for cats as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
This be my thread!

I adopted my "bait" dog just over 7 years ago. I was a volunteer at the local humane society when 5 pit mixes came in one day. All were torn, bloody, scared, and mean. Soon after they arrived, 4 had to be put down because they simply couldn't be saved (disease, neglect, and temperment). The only one the shelter would keep was the female bait dog. She was 28lbs, had some broken ribs, two broken legs, missing half her teeth, torn muzzle/ears, and her paws were also torn up pretty badly. Being the only male volunteer there that had some experience with "aggressive" dogs (dobermans, rottweilers, etc..) I took it upon myself to try and work with the dog. The first week was very slow, couldn't touch her, had to use a pole/leash to get her outside for short walks. She couldn't (and still cant) be around other animals because of her past, which made it difficult for everyone at the shelter. After about two weeks the ladies at the shelter decided she was probably going to be put down, because she simply wouldn't respond to anyone, only small barks or the occasional growl if you tried to touch her.

Eventually I decided to take a chance, and I went into the cage and tried to pet her. She snapped at my hand, I told her to SIT down in a pretty loud voice. She sat rock still and let me pet her. She didn't wag her tail, and she looked terrified

Long story short, I convinced the ladies at the shelter to let me adopt her. It took a long time to convince my mother (I was in high school at the time and living at home), but eventually she came around too. She's now 11 years old, and I wouldn't trade her for any dog in the entire world. I always supervise when my nieces and nephews come over, but she's honestly perfect with children. She'll follow my 5 year old niece around just wagging her tail, begging for attention, and eating dandelions when my niece tells her too

I lost the pics of when I first got her, which is good because it still gets my blood boiling. I'm a firm believer in the death penalty when it comes to animal abuse; find a guy running a dog fight? Screw the judge/jury, a shotgun to the knee caps would suffice...

And on to some pics

Halloween this year:

Protecting the all important computer:

The GF abusing her

Last one, us playing Black Ops. She sat like that for almost half an hour and watched me play

Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Ipsa scientia potestas es

Mein Auto: BMW Cabrio
Awesome thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
This be my thread!

I adopted my "bait" dog just over 7 years ago. I was a volunteer at the local humane society when 5 pit mixes came in one day. All were torn, bloody, scared, and mean. Soon after they arrived, 4 had to be put down because they simply couldn't be saved (disease, neglect, and temperment). The only one the shelter would keep was the female bait dog. She was 28lbs, had some broken ribs, two broken legs, missing half her teeth, torn muzzle/ears, and her paws were also torn up pretty badly. Being the only male volunteer there that had some experience with "aggressive" dogs (dobermans, rottweilers, etc..) I took it upon myself to try and work with the dog. The first week was very slow, couldn't touch her, had to use a pole/leash to get her outside for short walks. She couldn't (and still cant) be around other animals because of her past, which made it difficult for everyone at the shelter. After about two weeks the ladies at the shelter decided she was probably going to be put down, because she simply wouldn't respond to anyone, only small barks or the occasional growl if you tried to touch her.

Eventually I decided to take a chance, and I went into the cage and tried to pet her. She snapped at my hand, I told her to SIT down in a pretty loud voice. She sat rock still and let me pet her. She didn't wag her tail, and she looked terrified

Long story short, I convinced the ladies at the shelter to let me adopt her. It took a long time to convince my mother (I was in high school at the time and living at home), but eventually she came around too. She's now 11 years old, and I wouldn't trade her for any dog in the entire world. I always supervise when my nieces and nephews come over, but she's honestly perfect with children. She'll follow my 5 year old niece around just wagging her tail, begging for attention, and eating dandelions when my niece tells her too

I lost the pics of when I first got her, which is good because it still gets my blood boiling. I'm a firm believer in the death penalty when it comes to animal abuse; find a guy running a dog fight? Screw the judge/jury, a shotgun to the knee caps would suffice...

She'll turn on you when she gets old and senile.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
She'll turn on you when she gets old and senile.
She's been old and senile for the past 5 years

Unfortunately she's also starting to go blind and partially deaf
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Please, call me Brian.

If you got 6 minutes to watch a video, prepare thy tears..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lJ7AfSO2fKs
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
This be my thread!

And on to some pics

Halloween this year:

Protecting the all important computer:

The GF abusing her

Last one, us playing Black Ops. She sat like that for almost half an hour and watched me play

Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Any news??
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
You really needed to quote 4 feet worth of pics just to put a smiley?

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
You really needed to quote 4 feet worth of pics just to put a smiley?
I got very emotional and couldn't think strait. It was very touching.